Talk

Advanced search

Christmas presents for the impossible

(12 Posts)
saltlakecity Thu 29-Oct-15 17:13:10

Sorry sorry sorry for bringing up Christmas already.
I am trying to get presents sorted as it'll be busy in the next couple of months. I've got most of them but stuck on some family members as they have everything they need and are better off than me!

Mum and dad are in their 60s. Active. They enjoy theatre, sport, walking etc but have all the sporting equipment they need. Reluctant to get theatre vouchers as I've done that a lot.

Sister and brother in law are sports freaks but again have all the equipment they need. They aren't into foodie things, jewellery, clothes, smellies etc.

Stuck! Thanks for any ideas.

MyVisionsComeFromSoup Thu 29-Oct-15 17:15:28

watching with interest as I have some of these too. Only thing i've come up with so far is a "box set hamper" - a snuggly throw/blanket, box set they haven't seen/voucher for one, hot chocolate, crisps/popcorn/sweets. Which will work for one couple, but not for the others on my list sad

HairOfMooseyMoo Thu 29-Oct-15 17:19:55

Are they into cycling? David Millar's bio is very good. He was one of the commentators on this years Tour de France.

www.amazon.co.uk/Racing-Through-Dark-David-Millar/dp/1409120384

HairOfMooseyMoo Thu 29-Oct-15 17:29:55

Could you do an emergency walking set ie hand warmers, spare shoe laces, lip balm, hand cream.

Apparently 2016 is 400 years since Shakespeare's death, so lots of Shakepeare on at Stratford upon Avon There are also some discovery tours next year too

Fannycraddock79 Thu 29-Oct-15 17:38:42

How about national trust membership for parents? Saves a fortune in visiting homes and car parking, so if they're fit and active like you say, they may like visiting stately homes but also would benefit from free car parking at a lot of nice walking spots? My 60ish yr old parents have just bought it (they are young and active too) and have almost got their money back in only 2 house visits.

Fannycraddock79 Thu 29-Oct-15 17:40:01

A weird one but how about netflix membership for brother and sil? Sounds strange but my sports mad dh loves all the sports documentaries/programmes on there. A generous present but affordable across the year.

saltlakecity Thu 29-Oct-15 17:44:59

Will get that biography for my brother in law. Thanks.

zipzap Thu 29-Oct-15 17:46:13

Go and have a look on the current Christmas bargains thread - I know it's only October but they're already up to almost the end of Thread 7... it has loads of ideas for grown ups as well as children and if you put in the people you're struggling to think of ideas for, you'll usually get posts with lots of good ideas on.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/Christmas/2494788-Thread-7-stocking-fillets-and-mince-pies

Failing that though - how about a little badge that says 'I've got everything' as you give them yet more vouchers or even more vouchers fgrin

Sadik Thu 29-Oct-15 18:01:21

One of my most successful presents for my parents who enjoy country walks but have a clean and cared for car (ie not a muddy heap like ours!) was a boot bag each so their muddy boots didn't make the car boot dirty. Very cheap but they get used loads.

Parents - Small flask, mini bottle of their favourite booze for adding to nice tea/coffee also enclosed, nice biscuits, packets of old fashioned sweets, picnic rug - to take on walks? Gloves? Scarves? Welly liners?

shadesofwinter Thu 29-Oct-15 20:39:02

Do they like travelling? I'm currently looking at this Lonely Planet book for my DH and my MIL of top places in the world to visit.

loubielou31 Thu 29-Oct-15 21:59:57

Maybe some guide books or walking books? Pub walks being among my favourites. I was also going to suggest National trust membership or a similar organisation depending on what's near you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now