Talk

Advanced search

How to have a special Christmas alone?

(22 Posts)
Specialchristmas Tue 27-Oct-15 07:21:22

Well, with a small baby?

I'd like to try and have a nice Christmas, just the two of us, but don't know how to start.

I've hardly any money, moving house and already spend every evening reading watching films, listening to music, so it's not anything special or different.

Is there anything people can think of we could do?

TheWoodenSpoonOfMischief Tue 27-Oct-15 07:29:56

With a small baby it's about you this Xmas.
Are you getting a tree?
Get yourself some nice food and a small present.
You could go for a walk with your baby.
Are you seeing family and friends in the run up towards Xmas?

Specialchristmas Tue 27-Oct-15 07:32:39

I think I probably will get a tree. I'm not really seeing anybody, no, which is a bit sad

ToastedOrFresh Tue 27-Oct-15 07:33:49

Go to a crib service on Christmas Eve ? See what Christmas Day services are on Christmas Day, if you like carols. There might even by coffee and mince pies after the service.

Christmas Morning t.v. shows ? Save your Christmas films for Christmas Day.

Strawclutching Tue 27-Oct-15 07:34:04

Watch carols from kings, get out lots and look at amazing Christmas decorations. Go to a family church service. Buy lovely food just for you. Don't bother with presents for the baby. I didn't in the first year (or two) if you've got enough money buy yourself a treat/ new pjs and enjoy Christmas TV with a box of chocolates.

TheWoodenSpoonOfMischief Tue 27-Oct-15 08:02:04

Is it difficult for you to see friends or family in the run up? Could you invite a friend over for a mince pie and a drink?
Otherwise I agree with getting out and about as much as possible.
See what's organised in your area. Are you a member of any baby groups?

Specialchristmas Tue 27-Oct-15 08:02:45

I don't really have any - a couple of friends but they are all really busy obviously.

toomuchinternets Tue 27-Oct-15 08:06:58

I had a single parent christmas with an 18 year old- I had been dreading it, but actually LOVED it in the end. I took advice from the internet and did the following, and it was one of my best christmas days ever- ended the festive season feeling full of warm and fuzzies and gratitude.

-bought proper yummy christmas food from M&S, the no-cook stuff.
-bought me and bubs matching christmas pjs!
-didn't bother with pressies except a few little bits for DS to open, and got myself an expensive advent calendar (a beauty one)
-put a lovely tree up and sparkly lights, even though I wasn't in the mood I was glad I did
-went to a christmas eve 'christingle' at a local church- not remotely religious but it was a lovely atmosphere
-spent christmas night making a photo book online of the first 18 months of his life. I still love looking at it now, 5 years later.
-wrote on Facebook I was spending it alone! And then took advantage of the offers that flooded in.

Lots of people offered me to join them on christmas day but I decided to stick to original plan of just us and it was so nice. But I took them up on offers of christmas eve/boxing day fun smile

TigerFeat Tue 27-Oct-15 08:11:22

I came on to say a Christingle service too. Our church has one on Christmas Eve, and it is the most Christmassy thing to do. Lots of people with babies/small children attend.

Specialchristmas Tue 27-Oct-15 08:11:55

Thank you smile will look around the churches

Madelinehatter Tue 27-Oct-15 08:11:58

Lots of lovely suggestions.

It can be tough being alone at Xmas but don't let it get you down. It is one day. Make it nice. Lots of treats and tv, with a nice all as suggested. Add in a crib or carol service and you will get out of the house and see people which will stop you feeling isolated.

Please don't feel I am being nosey but why haven't your friends invited you round? I would, are you estranged from your family or just far away?

Also at one point on xmas day, log on to MN for a xmas chat!

Specialchristmas Tue 27-Oct-15 08:13:04

They have their own families, I think - I obviously wouldn't gate crash someone else's Christmas!

My family are no longer alive.

Madelinehatter Tue 27-Oct-15 08:13:39

Oh I always like to go shopping late on Xmas Eve. You don't have to spend anything though, just walk around window shopping and stop for a nice coffee if you can spare the cash. Everyone is always cheerful.

Specialchristmas Tue 27-Oct-15 08:14:07

<shudders> fgrin

Madelinehatter Tue 27-Oct-15 08:15:05

Sorry to hear that. I hope you have some RL support though. It is hard with a small baby on your own!

I hope you have a nice xmas day.

TheWoodenSpoonOfMischief Tue 27-Oct-15 08:20:33

It's still only October. Maybe your friends will step up closer to the time.
If they live nearby, then arrange a bit of a get together in the week before. Surely people have time to meet up for a cup of tea and some festive snacks.
Hope you have a lovely Christmas.

Specialchristmas Tue 27-Oct-15 08:21:26

I don't have that many friends locally to be honest. And I wouldn't want to intrude. I'm sure Christmas will be nice smile

Savagebeauty Tue 27-Oct-15 08:24:34

It will be fine. Be positive. Take up any Boxing Day invites... Ive had lots of Xmas days alone and would have hated going to someone else's family

TigerFeat Tue 27-Oct-15 08:32:00

Intrude! Honestly. If you fancy some visitors, invite people to pop in throughout the day for mince pies/mulled wine, or whatever. People will.

I'm always up for an opportunity to flee the sprout flavoured fog of our house in the afternoon and it's not always park weather, so I'd accept. Similarly, I love people popping round throughout the day. There's always too much food around anyway, so always happy and able accommodate a few more people.

Specialchristmas Tue 27-Oct-15 08:37:51

I really don't think that there will be any. I know everyone 'does' Christmas slightly differently and I'm not too bothered about spending it alone but I would like it to feel like Christmas, just a little bit.

ChristmasZombie Tue 27-Oct-15 09:56:34

Lots of good ideas on this thread! I definitely think visiting a church service is a good idea. Christmas Eve carol services are lovely, and usually quite social too. There'll probably be coffee and mince pies afterwards, and I bet everyone will enjoy fussing over your little baby! A Christmas morning service would probably be nice too.
I agree with the suggestions about food: treat yourself to lovely things you like, that won't need much effort.
How about ordering yourself a few presents online? Put them under the tree still packaged up then open the packages on Christmas morning.

Allalonenow Tue 27-Oct-15 10:44:04

I've spent Christmas alone in recent years, and was dreading it the first time, but it's only one day, and with planning you get through it.

I think a baby would enjoy a tree, with lights and sparkly decorations. I don't have a tree, but do get a nice Christmas bouquet and sometimes do a bowl of fruit and gold coins for the table.

it's nice to have something to open on Christmas morning, so I save cards and any presents to open then. Is your little one old enough for a stocking? They can be fun to shop for and to pack, as well as opening them.
Very simple things like balloons or bubbles can be fun to share with your baby, or baby oil for a baby massage.
And getting yourself a couple of treats is a very good idea too, and don't forget to take some photos.

For food I try to have something special, but not too complicated, smoked salmon for lunch and perhaps duck breast for dinner, and plenty of chocolate too! You probably won't be drinking with a small baby, but there are some lovely nonalcoholic drinks available, rose and elderflower presse sounds lush.

There are usually threads here on Christmas day with a friendly chatty vibe, and a Christmas DVD is fun, I've got Ken Branagh's Cinderella for this year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now