Talk

Advanced search

'Nice' treat foods at Christmas M&S? Waitrose? What to get and where

(11 Posts)
Bladders73 Mon 26-Oct-15 21:21:02

A few years ago we bought some party foods at M&S, mini cheeseburgers that were delicious and the children still rave about them now.

Usually we are dedicated Aldi shoppers on a budget but this year I have decided to have a little splash out and buy a few 'nice' treat type bits of party food and unusual things from somewhere a little more upmarket.

I had a look at the Christmas party food at M&S and a few of the party food platters looked lovely, the 32 piece garnish (pigs in blankets and stuffing) looked fab and so did some of the desserts. I put a few items in my online basket and its £80 already. Now my sensible head has kicked in and I'm horrified at spending all that on things I know I'll get cheaper elsewhere.

Are the M&S foods justifiably worth spending extra on or is there anywhere else that does just as nice things? Go on, tell me it's all worth it and it'll all taste amazing grin

brightandshiney Mon 26-Oct-15 22:07:07

I love m&s food but I think their party food is so overpriced. We got the little savoury pies from there a couple of years ago and they were a big let down!
I normally get just a few bits from there and go somewhere cheaper for the rest.
I use the butcher for cocktail sausages/pigs in blankets, ham/beef (for nice sandwiches).

tedhis Tue 27-Oct-15 05:25:47

pigs in blankets are a waste to get anything but basic or make your own (butchers sausage and a good bacon) . Waitrose ham is much better than M+S.

SymphonyofShadows Tue 27-Oct-15 07:12:32

M&S do 3 for 2 on party food in the store so they are much better value than the platter things online. It should start soon, the nuts have already been reduced which is a good early warning grin I always get the mini burgers, Indian snack selection and the duck spring rolls. I prefer them to anywhere else.

ohtheholidays Tue 27-Oct-15 09:37:03

Bladders I wanted to know the same thing smile

Usually I make everything I can from scratch but I thought it would be a nice change to spend a bit more money this year on the food,but I've been worried about the same.I really don't want to spend alot more and for it not to taste great.

Blueberry234 Tue 27-Oct-15 09:41:03

I would definitely go in store and look at the 3 for 2 offers I like the pork crackling straws

ohtheholidays Tue 27-Oct-15 10:06:08

The M&S 3 for 2 is there much freezable food within that offer do you know?

BanningTheWordNaice Tue 27-Oct-15 10:07:46

M&S cheese wrapped in bacon, oven seafood from Waitrose was lovely one year.

SymphonyofShadows Tue 27-Oct-15 13:50:49

I think M&S already have frozen party stuff in, not sure if it's 3 for 2 yet though. The rest is all freezable I think. I've just remembered about the mini Coquilles St Jacques, they were lovely.

girlywhirly Tue 27-Oct-15 14:07:32

When the party food comes out, M&S do mini melting middle chocolate puddings which are very nice.

mrsmilktray Tue 27-Oct-15 14:12:34

Waitrose deli and Aldi for me. I like m&s food but the queues are a pain even when it isn't christmas. I wish they'd open more large food stores with enough parking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now