Talk

Advanced search

What your 5yo boys are having this Christmas? or what was super exciting for this audience last time?

(25 Posts)
NNat Sun 25-Oct-15 20:54:31

Just that really - I'm stuck with ideas for a gift tbh
My lesson learned from last years - only one gift, no fillers

THA!

FixItUpChappie Sun 25-Oct-15 21:17:06

I think we are going to get ours a space station by Hape as his main and a smaller associated alien space craft to go with it.

He also has a box of magnatiles stashed away.

I also bought my boys some costume items so far....each has a costume sword, shield and cape....I had to confiscate some wooden swords they were given earlier in the year as you really couldn't play with them (without fearing mortal injury!!) so I thought these attractive but harmless foam ones would be a good compromise. They are by a company called Dragontouch and the capes are by Great Pretenders.

RatOnnaStick Sun 25-Oct-15 21:19:07

I think we've settled on a RC vehicle of some sort. He's hoping for a helicopter.

OohMrDarcy Sun 25-Oct-15 21:24:20

Mine is an early jan birthday so last year was about to turn 5, his main presents were a paleontologist kit put together by me ( dinogear backpack, explorer outfit, fossil hunting tools , binoculars etc), and a bronco switch and go dino RC car thing....

This year he's turning 6, santa present is a kindle, from me he's getting a trampoline for the garden (shared present with big sis)

FixItUpChappie Sun 25-Oct-15 21:26:37

Oh I'm wrong about that company for the shields and swords....it D'artangan Distributors if your interested.

OSETmum Sun 25-Oct-15 21:39:56

Well DS was 5 last year and got a motorbike, but that's probably a bit of a niche present! It's certainly exciting though!

This year he wants a proper full size keyboard to learn to play properly. He's also getting a new push bike.

I agree with you about no fillers. Last year the only extras DS got was his motorbike kit and it was so nice on Boxing Day to not have a huge pile to look at and wonder where to put it!

eastmidswarwicknightnanny Sun 25-Oct-15 21:47:02

Lego lego and more lego here for 5yr old ds and perhaps some superhero bits and playmobil bits from family

bigkidsdidit Sun 25-Oct-15 21:49:16

We're doing very similar to mr Darcy, actually - a new backpack with a magnifying glass, binoculars, walkie talkies and a big torch. Plus a stocking and a ninja turtle from Santa smile

Caravanoflove Sun 25-Oct-15 21:55:53

A kindle fire, just bought on offer for £49!

ArthurChristmas Sun 25-Oct-15 21:56:21

Fix It beware, I thought that about swords for my son, aged 4. Those foam swords however have a terrible whip if you're not careful (especially if you're washing up!!)

PresidentUnderwood Sun 25-Oct-15 22:16:07

Foam swords end up on the naughty shelf by 6pm on Xmas day!

I've bought lots of fillers and you all have me worried now confused

Army toys - 2nd hand helicopter, jeep & soldiers. Lego police unit, turtles can, kinetix (may keep that for b'day), hot wheels stuff, transformer. Sticking gifts are things like glow stars, novelty erasers etc

FixItUpChappie Mon 26-Oct-15 02:27:02

Foam swords end up on the naughty shelf by 6pm on Xmas day!

I was having nostalgic visions of boys slaying dragons, protecting their forts, sailing the seven seas on their pirate ships. No? Your thinking straight-up mayhem?

Oh dear confused Maybe I haven't thought this through enough....

d270r0 Mon 26-Oct-15 07:42:53

I like fillers too. Not any old rubbish- but surely its nice to get extras like books, craft stuff, a new board game... As long as it will be used and is not just for the sake of it.
My nearly 5 year old is getting a lego set and a micro machines open out truck (joint with his brother) as his main presents. But then also a big pile of books, and a couple of board games.

Allyoucaneat Mon 26-Oct-15 07:52:53

Lego and Skylanders here. Super hero mashers are popular with his friends just now too but he got a whole load at his birthday.

AlmaMartyr Mon 26-Oct-15 08:15:47

My 5 year old got a remote control dinosaur and a paleontology kit and loved them. This year, I've got him a dinosaur (spot a theme?) magnetic noticeboard because he's very keen on pinning up his art. GPs will get him a keyboard and possibly some Lego (Jurassic World maybe, or Minecraft). He's a bit obsessed with Minecraft.

To reassure about the swords - my 7yo DD and 5yo DS have an arsenal of wooden swords and shields and we've never had a problem. They have lots of play fights with them but it rarely gets out of hand - unlike everything else they play with. I do put them away when we have guests though and have given them very strict rules.

TheOnlyPink Mon 26-Oct-15 10:40:21

fixitup my 4 year old and 8 year old have wooden swords and shields. They are brilliant toys. They tend not to fight each other, but team up to slay the Dragon, or protect the village etc. The my 8 year old has seemed to have grown out of every other toy this year, but not those. And all the kids in our street have similar they team up and go on crusades. Proper old fashioned fun imo! Highly recommend!

MiscellaneousAssortment Tue 27-Oct-15 01:07:51

My DS got TONS of presents last year and really didn't warm to any of them. It felt massively deflating for both him and me!

This year, I've got to do it differently, and better.

What Hotwheels stuff would be good for a child who's got a few cars but no tracks yet? That might make a good present?

And those people buying piano keyboards, what types are you getting? A play/ fun one or one to learn properly on? I'm wondering if I could scrape up the money to buy a proper keyboard and start piano lessons...

And any other super cool toy ideas? I'm so stuck...

blahblahblah2000 Tue 27-Oct-15 01:42:18

Pogo stick, roller skates, basketball net and ball for garden.

torthecatlady Tue 27-Oct-15 01:43:11

We're struggling on what to buy my 4 year old step son (he is a "young" 4!)
He has so much stuff (which he doesn't play with).
We've opted for hungry hippos, buckaroo and kerplunk so far smile
Great family games that he shouldn't get tired of smile

OSETmum Tue 27-Oct-15 07:06:13

miscellaneousassortment we're getting DS a full size Casio one (£100 in Argos with a stand) it's not top of the range but it is a proper keyboard rather than a toy.

toomuchinternets Tue 27-Oct-15 08:00:56

My 5.5 year old has asked for Hot Wheels- he's got a few cars he bought with pocket money, but no tracks. I bought this huge dinosaur track thing from Sainsbury's for £25 in the half price sale last week.

He's also got a giant box of lego, also from the toy sale.

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Tue 27-Oct-15 08:05:37

Playmobil pirate ship was a big hit here. Or Lego.

MiscellaneousAssortment Tue 27-Oct-15 11:23:13

OSET ooh that's interesting, for some reason I'd only looked at the keyboards that are set into 'wooden' frames and look like pianos. They look great and I guess satisfy my yearning for a real piano but cost £300+

Humm, I will think this through!

MiscellaneousAssortment Tue 27-Oct-15 11:32:43

I'm in two minds about the hot wheels tracks, as I suspect they'll be a Christmas hit but not something he plays with longer term - as basically nearly everything I get him is like that at the moment! Aargh! I know men are renownedly hard to buy for, but a 5 yr old boy?!

I did see something similiar called Tagamoto enforcer car and road set. It comes with stickers that have bar codes on them that stick on the road and program the car to do things like sound the horn. Not sure about the play value though, or some of the reviews which seem to suggest the stickers are supposedly reusable but get old quick... Anyone heard of this?

SeveredHeadOnnaSpike Tue 27-Oct-15 16:47:30

Best hit wheels starter set is the 5 lane tower. Its versatile enough to be the beginning if several configurations if track

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now