Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Self Balancing Electric Scooter

(12 Posts)
biscuitkumquat Sat 24-Oct-15 19:03:41

Does anyone have any experience with these?

I'm thinking of getting one for DS for Christmas, but can't seem to find a UK supplier at any less than £300.

They all seem to be made in China, so buying from a Chinese supplier who ships from the UK doesn't seem to be too bad an idea, but thought buying from E-Bay with the PayPal protection might be the best idea?

InkleWinkle Sat 24-Oct-15 19:06:27

I've been looking at one via Amazon, do you think that would give protection?

Pipbin Sat 24-Oct-15 19:07:02

Two things to be aware of:

They are not legal on either roads or pavements.
Some cheap ones have caught fire.

All that aside if you are buying direct from China it might be an idea to use a credit card for extra protection.

NaturalBlondeYeahRight Sat 24-Oct-15 19:10:12

I have bought one from Amazon, for the extra protection (I hope) using credit card. It has good reviews and paid £230. Hasn't arrived yet though, but they have been keeping me posted with delivery updates.
Fingers crossed it'll be ok.

frazzledbutcalm Sat 24-Oct-15 20:38:20

We bought one from ebay from China. Cost £200. Took about 5 weeks to get here. Dd LOVES it.

biscuitkumquat Sat 24-Oct-15 21:21:03

frazzled would you mind PM'ing me the details of the seller.

Thanks.

WeAllHaveWings Sat 24-Oct-15 22:34:36

they look a lot of fun and ds(11) wanted one, but they were on the Watchdog program last week (or maybe week before) talking about dangerous scooters from china (charging plugs without fuse protection, plugs too small so electric shock risk and don't leave charging unattended due to fire risks) and the fact they are illegal on roads and pavement so he has now thankfully been put off getting one. Good for us, as with ds I think it would have been a 5 minute wonder for him anyway.

If he was getting one I would have paid the extra from a known retailer who have checked for the relevant UK safety regs.

I have also heard stories of them having to be returned if a fault develops to be checked and the buyer having to pay the postage back to China which is ££'s as they weigh 22lbs so check the returns policy of whoever you buy from.

biscuitkumquat Sat 24-Oct-15 23:06:09

Oh, I missed that.

Yes, might be better spending the extra & getting one from the UK.

Thanks for that.

frazzledbutcalm Mon 26-Oct-15 18:43:28

I've pm'd you biscuit

mumtoone84 Tue 27-Oct-15 16:19:02

Home bargains are selling some on pre order for £289 or thereabouts. seems a good price and a UK shop if anything goes wrong under warranty.

NaturalBlondeYeahRight Wed 28-Oct-15 14:30:02

Mine has just turned up after 3.5 weeks. Still charging but looks good quality.

biscuitkumquat Thu 05-Nov-15 21:42:19

Just ordered the HomeBargains one.

It was, indeed, a bargain at £249.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now