Talk

Advanced search

Gifts for Dc with small age gap.

(9 Posts)
DeathMetalMum Sat 24-Oct-15 12:07:51

We have just started getting requests for ideas for dc from friends and family. We have ideas but struggling what to suggest for each dc as dd's are 4.5 and 2.5 and pretty much play with the same things all the time though not necessarily together. Currently both really love shopkins and My little pony amongst a few other things. Dd2 has a thing for trains but dd1 will also just as happily play with them if dd2 gets them out, though never chooses them herself.

Dd1 also doesn't do things by herself ie doesn't go up to her room to play, which I'm not really bothered about tbh as she is at school all day but this gives her little opportunity to do such as hama beads etc that are not really suitable for dd2. We're struggling for suggestions for both of them individually, everything we can think of could easily be gifted to either of them. Help!! I'm also unsure if I'm just over thinking this and creating a problem where there isn't one!

MrsMolesworth Sat 24-Oct-15 14:50:32

But people love being asked to get the same thing for both of them - makes it so much easier. Depends on the budget though.

Dressing up clothes, toy shops or medical kits, a dolls house to share? Mini scooters? Glove puppets, cuddly furry animal hot water bottles or PJ cases?

Artandco Sat 24-Oct-15 15:03:24

I would have thought 2 years isn't really a small gap and so a fair amount of stuff different. My 4 year old loved reading and drawing and writing stories. At 2 he couldn't read or write.
Even between my 4 and 5 year old I find oldest can do a lot younger can't quite yet. Like follow complicate instruction manuals

What about stuff like Craft things or books? Eldest can read the books herself, and youngest have them read to her, eventually reading to herself also. Craft things always need replacing as paper/ ink in pens/ paint get used up. Some watercolour paper and paint set for eldest?

attheendoftheday Sat 24-Oct-15 18:58:19

My two are 4.4 and 2.8. I get them pretty equivalent presents as they like all the same stuff. No harm in asking for two different versions of something (like a playmobil set) or two of something they could both play with (like a scooter or doll or whatever).

Bimblywibble Sat 24-Oct-15 19:05:19

I think embrace it while they have similar interests! Games such as Orchard games are great at this age.

DeathMetalMum Sat 24-Oct-15 21:24:43

We have three or four orchard toy games alredy as well as a couple of others, guess who, pop up pirate, hungry hippo type games, mostly thanks to a wonderful charity shop, which we all play together quite often, and dd1 will always choose to play a game or do a puzzle with someone else, over anything independent.

We have tonnes of craft stuff and generally use stockings to replace paper and pens. Dd's spend hours drawing, gluing etc at the table but it's a special occasion if we get paints out tbh so we're okay for those.

We do need some books with longer stories for dd1, so that is a good idea however she is only just beginning to read so probably won't be reading instructions by Christmas but who knows!

I think we will stick to similar things, will reduce the amount of arguing (I hope!). I think I thought I was being mean possibly for grouping them together so much, I'm glad others have had this non-issue.

ThoughtfulPenny Sat 24-Oct-15 21:49:47

Do you know what you're getting them? My two and four year olds are getting the Asda wooden shop between them so family are getting them different food sets, a till and shopping basket. Means we don't end up with too much junk hopefully!

DeathMetalMum Sun 25-Oct-15 08:49:55

Yes we have sorted what we are getting them. Innotab each with a game (thanks to tesco clubcard boost!) and then dd1 is getting Lego, Elsa's Castle and dd2 getting extension to her brio which she loves.

We have done the shared present before when we bought a play kitchen, and that has worked out really well. We have limited space for anything else big though. Right off to think up a list off suggestions I think!

1122christy Sun 25-Oct-15 09:56:43

Iv got the same age gap between my 3 kids, 3yr 5yr and a 7yr. My youngest 2 are girls. Not always into the same things but here are things they are getting for Christmas that are shared interests -

Play do sets ice cream set and frosting fun set, plus extra tubs
Sylvanian families - different families and sets campervan and ice cream van etc,
Playmobil sets- both getting the play case unicorn fairy one and pirate one, Hama bead sets (you can get maxi beads for the 2.5yr old)
Make up sets

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: