Talk

Advanced search

Advent Calendar treats for a 20 year old student

(20 Posts)
5Foot5 Tue 20-Oct-15 13:40:29

I know I would get absolutely sleighed slayed (sorry couldn't resist it!) for this on AIBU but I assume I am among kindred spirits here.

Many years ago I made an Advent chest of drawers for DD and always filled it with sweets and little novelties. As she got older I tried to vary it a bit. For example, one year I hunted down Christmas themed jokes and each day had a joke and a chocolate. Another year I did the same but with Christmas themed puzzles/trivia.

Anyway, we did this every year until last year which was her first year at Uni. When I tentatively inquired if she wanted me to bring the Advent chest of drawers over on a visit I got an emphatic No. sad

However, last weekend, she was at home for a visit and when I mentioned it in passing she admitted she would quite like it this year and last year it was just that she was conscious of her new Uni mates laughing at her, but this year she is sharing with friends she gets on well with and she is sure they won't make fun and actually yes, she would really like it.

I was quietly thrilled and am now trying to think of treats suitable for a 20 year old. So far DH has suggested maybe some liqueur chocolates - especially if we can get vodka-flavoured grin. I also wondered about lip balms, tea lights and maybe face masks.

I would appreciate anyone else's brainwaves.

(I would promise to supply the jokes in return but am not sure if I can lay my hands on them as they might all be on the old PC)

penny13610 Tue 20-Oct-15 13:43:27

Spices, they come in little packets and may encourage her and her mates to cook.

TranquilityofSolitude Tue 20-Oct-15 13:51:59

I'm not sure how big the drawers are but I did this last year for my 17yr old DD. I got some silly decorations for her room from the pound shop which went down well - little strings of lights etc. Home Bargains also had some really nice hair slides which she liked. Recently I bought a great lipstick recommended on here for £1 in Superdrug. It's by MUA and I thought I might look at the rest of their range for stockings/advent calendars as I've been very pleased with it.

beela Tue 20-Oct-15 14:01:31

Nail varnish, postage stamps, mini toiletries (travel size ones), miniature vodka/brandy/whatever...

Sounds fab!

Natkingcole9 Tue 20-Oct-15 15:25:31

Lipsticks, socks, pants, earrings, nail polish, make up brushes, tissues smile I'll try to think of more!

Leeds2 Tue 20-Oct-15 18:36:27

Key ring

Pound coin

Gift card for Costa

Hair clips/slides

Post it notes

d270r0 Tue 20-Oct-15 20:42:48

A lush bath bomb might go down nicely! (Or look up 'bomb cosmetics' on amazon, they do nice sets of 5 items, work out a lot cheaper per item than lush.)
Boots do little sanctuary products, each one wrapped in a cute little christmas cracker! £10 for a set of 4 but they're in the 3 for 2.
Hotel chocolat bits
Cheap dvds

5Foot5 Tue 20-Oct-15 21:38:36

Oh some lovely ideas already, thank you.

Each drawer is made from a household size match box IYKWIM, so about 15cm x 7cm x 2cm.

Will check out the various toiletry ideas and the spices, Christmas decorations and gift cards are things I definitely hadn't thought of. Can't wait to get started.

Bumdance Tue 20-Oct-15 22:10:04

Bit pricey probably but boots are doing individual benefit miniatures at a fiver each or 4 for 15 quid. If you wanted to have a couple of 'bigger' days, those might work?

Bumdance Tue 20-Oct-15 22:10:44

Bit pricey probably but boots are doing individual benefit miniatures at a fiver each or 4 for 15 quid. If you wanted to have a couple of 'bigger' days, those might work?

Bumdance Tue 20-Oct-15 22:13:47

Oops, sorry! Also, hair grips/bands, nail art stickers, earrings.

Stars66 Tue 20-Oct-15 22:21:22

Condoms everyone else was thinking it hmm

MamaDuckling Tue 20-Oct-15 22:21:36

I love this, mum used to do it for me: my favourite things were always:

A lottery ticket
A silly pair of festive earrings
A nice lip balm
A folded up tenner which was 'drinking money'
Key ring - you could get one made out of a favourite family photo?
Mini nail varnish or sparkly eyeshadow
Face mask, the individual sachet ones that super drug probably still sell
Mini nail files

There were always chocs too... Choc coins or lindor...

5Foot5 Tue 20-Oct-15 22:48:22

Stars66 shock gringrin Maybe not!!!

RitaConnors Tue 20-Oct-15 23:02:08

I would try and do house mate friendly things they could all enjoy. It would be lovely for all of them. Nice and bonding!

What about little puzzle or quiz questions with a chocolate for the housemate winner?

5Foot5 Wed 21-Oct-15 13:00:43

Nice idea Rita. I could dig out some more quiz questions I am sure.

Also if I put 4 chocolates in some drawers here are enough to share. I was thinking (prompted by the earlier suggestion from penny) of getting a sachet of mulled wine spice for one drawer so obviously that is something thy could all use.

AlbusPercival Wed 21-Oct-15 13:06:00

Nice tea bags?

Shortandsweet20 Wed 21-Oct-15 19:13:48

Ooh, I love things like this. My uni housemate has one every year and hers are lovely.

Hair grips/Bobby pins are always needed!
Gift cards are great, just something little that might help her out.
Chocolates
Maybe a tenner in one?
Another good idea my friends mom had was her train tickets home for Christmas!
If you want to do a bigger one maybe you could get a little charm is she has a pandora/link bracelet?
Little eyeshadow/nail varnish etc benefit do loads of these over the christmas period!
Teabags? Hot chocolate sachet?

I hope you let us know what you decide to put in!

MisForMumNotMaid Wed 21-Oct-15 19:20:19

Why not buy a benefit/ yankee candle/ luch/ boots/ m and s advent calendar and use that for the majority of the drawers. Most seam to have £100 plus of products for £30ish.

5Foot5 Sun 22-Nov-15 23:17:03

I hope you let us know what you decide to put in!

Well I delivered it today when we visited. I was inspired by some of the suggestions on here, though obviously I was a bit limited by the size of the drawers. The final selection was as follows:

1st: Gel decorations to stick on the window (Poundland)
2nd: Fairy lights (batteries included!)
3rd: More gel decorations (packet too big to fit in one drawer)
4th: Four liquor chocolates (there are four of them in the house so enough to share)
5th: Third and last installment of the gel window decorations!
6th: Mulled wine sachets, small bag brown sugar and recipe for mulled wine
7th: Small roll of Sellotape
8th: Balloons
9th: Two fun size Twix fingers
10th: Table confetti
11th: Body Shop Green Tea Soap
12th: Apple and cinnamon scented tea lights
13th: Four liquor chocolates
14th: Mud face pack
15th: Sachet of hot chocolate drink
16th: MUA Lipstick
17th: Four liquor chocolates
18th: Malteser reindeer
19th: Lip balm
20th: Four liquor chocolates
21st: Two fun size Twix fingers
22nd: Little tin M & S Chocolate
23rd: Christmas socks
24th: Small tree decoration of Mary and Joseph.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now