Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

So Looks like Hudl been dis continued! Can anyone recomend other tablet, looking at the Kindle FIRE, need parent controls

(11 Posts)
DrasticAction Mon 19-Oct-15 21:30:50

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00Y3TM6CO/ref=fs_ford

^ this is 49, anyone got is it any good? I want controls, so we can set time on the comp etc, and make sure cant go onto odd websites...good battery life, and PLAY ANIMAL JAM AND MINE CRAFT....

Toomanycoatstocount Mon 19-Oct-15 23:31:56

www.tesco.com/direct/hudl/

Hudl's not been discontinued? (See link above) they're just not bringing out a 3rd edition smile

DivaDroid Mon 19-Oct-15 23:38:59

The Hudl isn't discontinued. There is however an issue with stock not coming through. Should hopefully be resolved soon.

DrasticAction Tue 20-Oct-15 10:00:45

custmer services gave me very vague response hinting at no return

DrasticAction Tue 20-Oct-15 10:05:42

AWFUL email from tesco!!! basically saying they have no idea if it will ever be in stock again.

TobleroneBoo Wed 21-Oct-15 10:31:55

I have a kindle fire and find that it is very hard to use, its a kindle with the other features as " add ons" in my eyes, so whilst books and amazon store work, i find everything else very hard going . Im going to sell mine and get an Ipad I think

ChunkyPickle Wed 21-Oct-15 10:36:33

If you go with the fire, check out the kids edition - they will replace it if your kids damage it

I don't have one myself, I prefer iPads - they seem to last until they are obsolete (we still have an ipad 1 that's been through the wars but still works - it just can't handle modern stuff) - but you do pay for that.

NotSoDesperateHousewife Wed 21-Oct-15 10:45:47

We have kindles for our DSs (8 and 7) and they do what they need to for now. They have minecraft and a couple of other games and we also have "unlimited for kids" so pay £5 a month for them to watch all the children's prime content on them too. I think they're great, but they wouldn't do past primary age IMO.

BondJayneBond Wed 21-Oct-15 10:45:51

I have a kindle fire and really like it. I've found it pretty easy to use, but I have no real experience with other tablets, so can't say how it compares in terms of user friendliness. Battery life will depend on what you're doing. It's good if you're reading books, but some of the apps we have eat battery very quickly.

We have it set up with different profiles for me and the DC. We've set it so internet and downloading apps is only available from my profile, which is password protected, so that DC can't get unsupervised access to the internet or YouTube when using the kindle fire.

The profiles we've set up for the DC only have apps on that we've selected as being suitable. You can set time limits up so that the DCs can only access their profiles at set times of the day (e.g. not after 8pm or before 8am), and you can set limits so that DCs profile can only be accessed for a total length of time in a day (e.g. 1 hour on the kindle fire a day).

No idea about Animal Jam or Minecraft though.

NotSoDesperateHousewife Wed 21-Oct-15 10:47:40

Oh and the parental controls are excellent, the boys have them in "free time" mode which blocks all the browser stuff and they have to get me to input a password to get new games that aren't on the kindle unlimited list (there are loads of them included). Can also set time for individual apps as well as allowing unlimited reading. There is a library of books on the unlimited too. Unlimited for adults is rubbish but very good for the children.

DrasticAction Wed 21-Oct-15 10:50:42

Thank you some great info here!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now