Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

what starter?

(42 Posts)
Reiltin Mon 19-Oct-15 18:20:57

Doing Xmas dinner for the first time - like a proper grown-up! Having trouble with starters. I want something not too labour-intensive and that goes with the traditional Turkey dinner. (My phone capitalised Turkey but it seemed apt so I didn't change it!). What starter do you do that works? Thanks!

PesoPenguin Mon 19-Oct-15 18:26:53

I know it's not very inspired but you can't beat smoked salmon in my mind!

flightywoman Mon 19-Oct-15 18:28:35

We usually have smoked salmon - it's easy and light before the main event! You can make it smart with blinis, sour cream and a bit of lumpfish caviar, or just go simple with a bit of brown bread and butter and a squeeze of lemon.

Reiltin Mon 19-Oct-15 18:30:42

That's what my mom always does too. Though I'm not a big fan of smoked salmon. Nor is my brother so usually have mon or grapefruit. I thought it would be nice for us to all eat the same thing. Light is a good idea though - a good place to start smile

OhPuddleducks Mon 19-Oct-15 18:33:25

Parsnip soup? You can add Thai curry spices at the end to make it a bit posher. Also can be prepared in advance and then heated up on the day.

WellyMummy Mon 19-Oct-15 18:38:14

I was thinking the same, smoked salmon - delish and simple.

TomHaverford Mon 19-Oct-15 18:38:58

Baked goats cheese? With a little balsamic glaze or honey drizzled on bed of rocket?

MTWTFSS Mon 19-Oct-15 18:41:56

cantaloupe melon + honeydew melon + smoked salmon = a tasty starter smile

spanisharmada Mon 19-Oct-15 18:42:00

We have salmon mousse or pate for those that don't like fish with oat cakes or Melba toast.

usual Mon 19-Oct-15 18:42:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IpsyUpsyDaisyDo Mon 19-Oct-15 18:42:34

We often do a soup starter, with not too much bread (it keeps us going until the mis-timed dinner actually makes it to the table!) Last year we had butternut squash with warming chilli, it was yum!

Themodernuriahheep Mon 19-Oct-15 18:43:57

Nothing too filling, soup tends to be. But is easy and hot.

I'd avoid carbs unless you have v hungry men.

Is it the fish or the greasiness you don't like? Because poached trout fillets, cold, with lemon and bread and butter also great, less greasy.

If you don't like fish, Palma ham with melon good.

Or go to M&S or Tesco or wherever and plate up a selection if canapés, with salad. Christmassy and no sweat.

iklboo Mon 19-Oct-15 19:05:35

We usually have smoked salmon as well, or pate. We had scallops with chorizo one year & that was bloody lovely.

Dreamiesrcatopium Mon 19-Oct-15 19:11:38

Prawn cocktail for all f us, pate for my Dad. Same for the last 30 odd years. Don't mess with tradition. My MIL has no starter, and passes round crisps or at a push spring rolls, not even at the table makes me vay vay sad. It's my turn this year praise be!

patterkiller Mon 19-Oct-15 19:11:50

Mixed mushroom bruschetta.

patterkiller Mon 19-Oct-15 19:13:15

Or have a look for cold canapés. You can pre make and everyone can help themselves.

DrasticAction Mon 19-Oct-15 20:01:16

yep fish, we have smoked salmon, part of meal i enjoy most, after all that running round, that first sip of champagne....beautiful slice of salmon,...yum!
i went off plan last year nad i was a disaster.

StellaAlpina Mon 19-Oct-15 20:07:42

Any good tips on something I can stick on a canape (ie tiny bit of toast) for a pregnant person as smoked salmon/pate/and cured meats are all out?

AnneEyhtMeyer Mon 19-Oct-15 20:12:07

We have Parma ham, mozzarella, rocket and clementine segments, drizzled with a bit of balsamic vinegar.

I plate them up in advance and drizzle the balsamic just before serving.

Dancingqueen17 Mon 19-Oct-15 20:36:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GloGirl Mon 19-Oct-15 20:45:52

M&S are selling some lovely seafood in scallop shell starters.

Personally I just like a chocolate selection box starter and go straight into the main course. grin My family eat prawn cocktail starters though. I have melon.

torthecatlady Mon 19-Oct-15 21:06:53

My favourite is fresh melon (honeydew is nice!) drizzled with port! :D

attheendoftheday Tue 20-Oct-15 20:37:19

Either grilled goats cheese or baked tiny camembert here.

Millie2013 Tue 20-Oct-15 21:10:30

My mum makes a lovely Stilton pate, which she serves with pears and walnuts

70isaLimitNotaTarget Wed 21-Oct-15 17:01:29

We don't do a starter otherwise they'd all be bailing out before they finished the main course (such lightweights ) fwink

If you have a Christmas Breakfast then the selection boxes, Bucks Fizz, three courses , mince pies and Christmas Cake............... how? Does your Christmas Dinner span four hours or something?

Over the years, we've honed what works and what doesn't.
Big breakfasts on the days before and after but just toast and coffee on The Day.

Might do soup for Christmas Eve and some nice fresh bread and a buffet type meal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now