Talk

Advanced search

You can choose only one Christmas dinner item

(88 Posts)
GloGirl Mon 19-Oct-15 17:25:08

You're going to someones house for a relatively standard Christmas roast dinner.

What one thing would you want to insist on having to make it a proper Christmas dinner?

Cranberry sauce? Brussel sprouts? Christmas pudding for dessert?

For me it is bacon wrapped cocktail sausages. I get a little bit itchy thinking "what if" they weren't there hmm

Twitterqueen Mon 19-Oct-15 17:27:04

You're very mean OP and most definitely you are being very U. wink

How can I choose 1 item?!
Home-made stuffing

IHaveBrilloHair Mon 19-Oct-15 17:27:59

Homemade bread sauce

MuttsNutts Mon 19-Oct-15 17:28:47

I clicked specially to say Pigs in Blankets!

What time shall I be there?

Canyouforgiveher Mon 19-Oct-15 17:29:27

sausage stuffing

No wait, gravy

no maybe roast potatoes

no ... proper ham

NotTodaySatan Mon 19-Oct-15 17:30:19

Homemade stuffing. The breadcrumb + onion + sage variety. Preferably my mum's!

PerspicaciaTick Mon 19-Oct-15 17:32:00

Stuffing balls - made from suet, breadcrumbs, egg (to bind) and heaps of thyme and lemon...baked/roasted.

And then turkey sandwiches (with sausages, stuffing, bread sauce etc.) at the end of the day with a long cold drink when the faffing and organising are finally over.

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Mon 19-Oct-15 17:33:50

Can't possibly restrict it to one item! I love every single item in our standard Christmas dinner and one of the things I like is how well they all go together. None of the main course items would be as good without gravy, for example.

Two months and six days to go! fgrin

GloGirl Mon 19-Oct-15 17:35:20

I didn't know you could put suet into stuffing, I can understand why that would be nice.

MuttsNutts, I'm not cooking this year I'm doing the demanding!! grin

patterkiller Mon 19-Oct-15 17:36:17

I've been going to MILs for years and it's just bland so I don't know what I'm missing. And yes I have offered to help/bring/host but she will have non of it. She deep fried parsnips one year sad

PerspicaciaTick Mon 19-Oct-15 17:36:28

P.S. I have been known to cook an entire Christmas lunch at my house, even though I'm eating lunch at a relative's, just so I have a full complement of leftovers ready when i get home

rosieliveson1 Mon 19-Oct-15 17:36:43

I forgot the bacon/sausages one year. I left them in the kitchen rather than dishing them up. I'll never forget the relief on my dad's face when I jumped up and remembered them part way through eating grin

For me it's either those or roast potatoes. A friend of mine has mashed potatoes and that's just not the same for me!

OddBoots Mon 19-Oct-15 17:37:58

I would say pigs in blankets too but actually I am not concerned what they serve, I would make sure I had my favourite items at home and have a meal of the bits I really like on boxing day or soon after.

NewLife4Me Mon 19-Oct-15 17:38:53

sprouts or roasties.
Pigs in blankets are a must though as usually people only have them once a year.
Sorry, much more than one. grin

ginmakesitallok Mon 19-Oct-15 17:43:50

Stuffing. Pretty much everything else (apart from turkey ) we have regularly. I love homemade sage and onion stuffing. Breadcrumbs, onion, sage, parsley and butter. Yum!

Whatsername24 Mon 19-Oct-15 17:44:42

Roast parsnips for me, but we always have Christmas dinner at home so I know there'll be plenty (my kids love them too).

PesoPenguin Mon 19-Oct-15 17:45:21

Another vote for pigs in blankets.

RidingSixWhiteHorses Mon 19-Oct-15 17:46:33

Roast potatoes

yomellamoHelly Mon 19-Oct-15 17:48:08

Pigs in blankets. Very closely followed by roast parsnips. Closely followed by lemony / chestnut stuffing.

(First year dh did Christmas lunch he missed all of these out. Second year I made sure they were all out on the work surface / ready to go in!)

Tbh I don't eat the turkey. It's all the bits on the side I really enjoy.

GothicRainbow Mon 19-Oct-15 17:48:29

Bread sauce! Only time of year we have it & I love it

ThomasRichard Mon 19-Oct-15 17:48:41

Pigs in blankets of course.

TwigletLola Mon 19-Oct-15 17:48:46

Salmon en croute/salmon wellington! I find turkey incredibly dry and boring so mum and I always have salmon. Dreading Christmas dinner with the in-laws this year because I'll end up with turkey and MILs terrible roasties. My mum has promised to save me one of hers to have with tea in the evening!

howtorebuild Mon 19-Oct-15 17:50:12

I am more interested in it being cooked well, meat not too dry and crispy roast potatoes please.

GloGirl Mon 19-Oct-15 17:50:15

I just asked my DH and he said mint sauce

I've asked for a divorce.

Trudee Mon 19-Oct-15 17:51:12

Bread sauce for me. I'm the only one who eats it and have been known to eat it straight from the bowl like porridge blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now