Talk

Advanced search

Playstation or Xbox?

(16 Posts)
Trudee Fri 16-Oct-15 18:50:40

Our planned main presents of bikes for dc's seem to have gone out of the window as they have discovered such things as lego dimensions. The problem is that dh and I have no clue as we're not gamers by any stretch of the imagination. We've asked opinions of several friends but it's 50/50 as to which is best. So I'm asking you lovely people for your opinions smile
As mentioned they'd be playing Lego Dimensions and also Minecraft which they currently play on their tablets and potentially something car racing
TIA

EldonAve Fri 16-Oct-15 18:56:15

How old are they?
PS4 games are mostly 16+ / 18+

Lego Dimensions is similar to Skylanders in that it will cost you ££££
You buy the game and then they want all the figures to access the additional stuff in the game and the figures are not cheap

TennesseeMountainPointOfView Fri 16-Oct-15 19:07:58

If it's 50/50, and they are 10ish upwards I would go with whatever their closest friends have, as they are likely to want to play online against their friends in the nearish future, and they'll need to be on the same platform.

From experience, I would say if driving games are likely to become a feature, the XBox may be the better choice - the people I know with consoles are fairly evenly split, but the majority who are racers seem to be on Xbox. There are some games which are exclusive to each platform, either completely (Halo) or for a period of time (Minecraft was, it isn't now).

weeblueberry Fri 16-Oct-15 19:26:21

Also one difference is if they're playing online with friends they have to pay to do it on Xbox but it's free on PlayStation. A year of live gold ranges from 19.99 to 39.99.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Fri 16-Oct-15 19:28:43

All my friends with teen boys and pre teen boys have xboxes.

Obv im not saying girls can't have xboxes btw before someone accuses me of this. But console gaming seems more popular ime with boys.

Dd is a big gamer, but just on her pc.

LibidinousSwine Fri 16-Oct-15 19:38:51

As tennessee says, it's very dependent on what their friends have. DS has an Xbox because all his friends do, a PS would leave him with nobody he knows to play with online.
It's also worth bearing in mind that if all their friends have the Xbox one then a 360 will also be useless. If they all have 360's, we bought DS a pre-owned one from Game for his birthday. Boxed up with one years warranty, it allowed us to spend the extra on a couple of games instead smile

AnyoneButAndre Fri 16-Oct-15 19:41:01

Now that Microsoft own Minecraft I suspect that there may be more XBox only content for Minecraft in the future but that's just a guess.

Trudee Fri 16-Oct-15 21:51:01

Thanks for the replies everyone. Seems to be swaying towards Xbox on here. Minecraft is probably going to be something that's played loads so we'd definitely want to consider future potential there. dc's are 7 and 5.5 so quite young really but lots of their friends have consoles, they've visited friends and had no clue how to play on them lol. Will perhaps do a bit of digging as to what their mates have.

GloGirl Sat 17-Oct-15 08:38:25

At that age I'd probably buy them a very cheap x box 360 - they're great value this year.

When they're 9/10 and a console means so much more to them they'll be so grateful to get the 'new' one!! As it's just for fun the 360 has so much going for it.

If you buy it now you'll regret not havin saved the expensive version and making a future Christmas very special.

PesoPenguin Sat 17-Oct-15 11:38:51

Definitely Xbox 360 at that age. DS is 6 and is perfectly happy with his.

RainbowRoses Sat 17-Oct-15 11:41:12

Personally I would go for an Xbox 360 with Kinect.

We have great fun prancing around the house with the Kinect games.

BrandNewAndImproved Sat 17-Oct-15 11:52:33

I wouldn't buy a 360. Get a more newer console like xbox one or ps4 otherwise in a year or so time they'll be asking for the upgrade. Get something more expensive that will be more long term.

Personally I like PlayStations but agree get the platform with get what the majority of their friends have or will have.

chanie44 Sat 17-Oct-15 20:14:00

Funnily enough, I've come on to say the same - get them the console their friends have.

My OH is in his 40s and he and all his friends have playstations and they link up and play together and chat. It's all very boring to me.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Sat 17-Oct-15 20:25:14

Yes get an up to date console. Even if friends currently have then old xbox they will soon upgrade.

We have a wii and dd sees adverts for the wiiu games and is disappointed as they won't play on the wii.

myotherusernameisbetter Sat 17-Oct-15 20:26:58

We have every console.

The problem with both the PS4 and the Xbox one is the the majority of games are single player where if they do want to play with others, they really have to do it on-line. It then becomes hard when you want them to share or they want to play together.

at there ages I'd be tempted to get a 2nd hand PS3 or xbox 360 as there is a huge back catalogue of games for them that cost buttons, whereas every game you buy for the newer consoles is around the £40-50 mark. I'd favour the PS3 on the basis that imo there are more co-opt games suitable for their age group than there is on the 360.

Obviously you need to bear in mind that they will be making less and less games for the older consoles and yes, your DC will want to upgrade to the newer consoles at some point and the games you buy are generally not upwards compatable. However, I think that you'd be looking at about 3 years away for that anyway with your eldest and your youngest will be fine for a bit longer so you could get the elder one the newer console at age 10/11 and retain the older one with the older games.

The other Lego games (batman etc) will be good for them too.

I agree though it does depend on what their friends have.

gamerchick Sun 18-Oct-15 19:17:59

Bear in mind that the 360 will only be supported for another year or so and backwards compatibility is coming for the Xbox one. If you want something that will last and only buy once I would get the one.

But again that's pointless if their pals have play stations.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now