Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What's in your child's stocking each year?

(71 Posts)
Chintaria Fri 16-Oct-15 12:50:46

Carrying on the tradition that my mum started we have an orange, an apple, a selection box, gold coins, an annual, and a torch (amongst other things of course!)

What has to go in your childs/childrens stocking every year?

ChristmasZombie Fri 16-Oct-15 13:01:45

There's always chocolate in our stockings!
We all have a stocking in our house, and this is what's going in each one this year:

DD1 (will be 3):
Mini Disney Princess Toddler Dolls (Elsa, Anna and Rupunzle)
Minions magic flannel
Tube of pink Smarties
Peppa Pig bath squirter
Chocolate Santa and some chocolate coins

DD2 (will be 7 months):
First Christmas teddy bear
Pink night light
Tumbling Giraffe toy
Pack of chocolate biscotti
Chocolate Santa (which I'll probably eat on her behalf!)

DH:
Mini toolkit
Chocolate Santa
Lottery scratchcards
Pack of bourbon biscuits

DH always does my stocking, it's usually full of imported sweets!

When I was a kid my mum always planned my stocking very carefully. There was always something edible, something to play with (which didn't require batteries/make noise/need any sort of setting up), a book and a magazine/comic. It was a very clever way of getting me to stay in bed a bit longer on Christmas morning!

EmGee Fri 16-Oct-15 13:03:13

My kids get everything in their stocking - they only get a present from us 'under the tree' when it is a big gift that relatives have contributed to e.g. doll house/bike etc.

This means they have sacks rather than stockings.

When they stop believing in FC, I hope we will revert to a more traditional stocking with the bigger gifts under the tree.

I prefer the more traditional stocking (like I had as a kid - with small gifts in it and the bigger one under the tree) but for some reason DH won this battle so we do it his way.

OvO Fri 16-Oct-15 13:05:06

We're similar - always chocolate coins, selection box, a satsuma and Guinness Book of Records for one and Ripleys Believe it or not for the other.

LauraChant Fri 16-Oct-15 13:06:51

You must have a lot of torches OP grin

Mine always have a tangerine, a pound coin, a candy cane and Tinti bath crystals that change the colour of the bath. Other items vary.

When I was little we always had a selection box, tangerine, shiny 2ps (Dad used to keep them specially if he ever got a particularly shiny one) and walnuts which would go straight back into the fruit bowl from whence they came. And then other things depending on age.

Chintaria Fri 16-Oct-15 13:47:07

Yes, we can certainly cope during a power cut Laura grin

scarlets Fri 16-Oct-15 14:05:36

A selection box is the only regular thing in my DCs' stockings.

When I was a kid, the items I always got without fail: a selection box, blank cassettes for recording the charts, annuals (Jackie, Patches, Blue Jeans, Grange Hill), a tube of tennis balls, a tube of shuttlecocks, the Now compilation cassette, a make-up set, stationery for school. Once I'd had my Spectrum ZX, I'd get games in the stocking too, until I grew out of it (at which point the annuals were replaced as well, by the Christmas editions of Cosmo and More).

EeyoresTail Fri 16-Oct-15 14:16:31

Gold coins
Flannel
Tube of sweets
Disney Princess shower gel/bubble bath
Annual

Badders123 Fri 16-Oct-15 15:03:21

Book
Dvd
Silly toys from tiger
Pens/pencils
Bath bomb
Earphones for their ipad

Badders123 Fri 16-Oct-15 15:05:04

Oh...and top.trumps smile

Shemozzle Fri 16-Oct-15 16:15:14

Selection box
Annual
Slipper socks
Toothbrush
Gold chocolate coins
Some sort of stationary or craft (new pens/paint)
....think that's all the annual ones!

wlv12 Fri 16-Oct-15 16:55:07

I've just been in to Wilko's and they had some lovely bits for under £2 for stockings. I have 2 boys aged 9 and 6 and they are getting:

Lego Mixel
Lego Monster Minifigure x 2
Fart putty
Power glider
Magic slinky
Dinosaur fossil egg
Wind-up dinosaur
Dinosaur groan tube
Large gold coin
Christmas Kinder egg

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Fri 16-Oct-15 17:04:58

Mine are considerably older, but
Lush bath bomb
Dd-jewellery
Ds-funny/cute socks
Dd-fluffy socks
Small bottle lush shower gel
Small bottle booze
A puzzle, a game, or something silly.

MuddhaOfSuburbia Fri 16-Oct-15 17:08:34

satsuma
chocolate coins
annual
a mug full of sweets wrapped in cellophane (we have HODS of mugs-my eldest is 18- but I get told off if Father Christmas doesn't come up with the goods)

Partybugs Fri 16-Oct-15 17:18:08

Magic flannel
Bath bomb
Impulse body spray
Book
Bookmark
Colouring/Activity Book
Colouring Pens (smelly ones this year)
Notebook
Plush Xmas toy
Chocolate
Sweets

Trudee Fri 16-Oct-15 18:04:00

Things that always go in ours are:

Chocolate coins
Tube of sweets
Lego minifigure
Magic flannel

I then top up with other small presents that cost less than a fiver

Palomb Fri 16-Oct-15 19:03:04

We never have stockings. I never had stockings growing up. It's always struck a me as a bit of a weird thing tbh!

Theimpossiblegirl Fri 16-Oct-15 19:14:41

In the DDs' stockings there are always chocolate coins, a new toothbrush and toothpaste, unusual sweets, an individual Lucky Charms or similar for breakfast, a satsuma, little toys from Hawkin's Bazaar or similar and a ticket to somewhere nice in the New Year. They are very similar year on year, even now they know it's me that does them.

rollmeover Fri 16-Oct-15 20:54:29

Satsuma and chocolate coins obviously, then a Dvd and CD (kids too young for itunes yet so still old school), thomas train, craft kit, baking stuff, book, annual. They will probably have about 10 things each.

I always loved stockings as a kid, so want to make the, special for mine too.

fairyjasmine Sat 17-Oct-15 08:17:03

Chocolate/sweets
Gingerbread men for DD2
One of small pots of Lucky Charms

Other stuff too, but the above is the stuff that seems to have become traditional. I always had a chocolate orange in mine!

Heyheyheygoodbye Sat 17-Oct-15 08:20:43

Ours vary but at the bottom they all have an apple, a satsuma, walnuts that nobody eats, and a pound coin smile

Snossidge Sat 17-Oct-15 08:24:04

In their stockings they get an satsuma, a chocolate orange, some small toys, chocolate coins. One mid-sized present from Father Christmas (this year a Lego set for one, Playmobil set for another and an Iron Man doll). Big/main present is from us under the tree (scooters x3, so next to the tree really).

Christmas Eve they get new pyjamas. Christmas Day a new outfit.

JasperDamerel Sat 17-Oct-15 09:36:43

Mine always get a clementine, chocolate coins, a chocolate Santa and/or reindeer, a chocolate orange, a toothbrush, a finger puppet, a kazoo and a fortune telling fish.

Pobspits Sat 17-Oct-15 09:39:56

Toothbrush (character one)
Chocolate coins
Fruit
Socks
Pants
Soft toy
Book
DVD
Water bottle
Gym bag
Small toy
Small Lego set
Sponge or washcloth
Stationery

SymphonyofShadows Sat 17-Oct-15 16:09:20

It's a Star Wars theme this year, due to the amount of SW crap about. So far we have little tins shaped like R2-D2 with chocolate figures in them, Vader Pez, SW sweets from the pound shop etc. I also usually bung in a DVD or game.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now