Talk

Advanced search

Poncetastic thread

(501 Posts)
WaitingForEgg Thu 24-Sep-15 12:07:14

Is there a poncetastic thread this year? I am itching to ponce!

Prelude Thu 24-Sep-15 12:08:57

Yes! Bring on the poncery!

Noideatobehad Thu 24-Sep-15 13:56:39

i think this might just be it!!!!! woot

LazySusan11 Thu 24-Sep-15 15:46:54

I was thinking the same thing yesterday!

BiddyPop Thu 24-Sep-15 15:51:49

I've a suspicion that Fellatio, who was Madame Poncetastic, may no longer be on MN. (Then again, I could be having yet another (middle-aged) senior moment with that thought).

However, finding the links and getting the chat going is a good idea. I must do a little furtling......

Hypotenuse Thu 24-Sep-15 15:53:35

Ready and willing to ponce.

JimmyGreavesMoustache Thu 24-Sep-15 15:55:43

<marks place with home made lebkuchen>

onehellofaride Thu 24-Sep-15 15:59:48

I come bearing mince pies

zaphod Thu 24-Sep-15 16:02:17

Perfect timing, just started my Christmas crochet last night, and was considering mars bar vodka.

BiddyPop Thu 24-Sep-15 16:02:38

Here is the opening of last year's thread.

I was right, DameFellatio did leave in 2013, but her legacy continued on last year in her absence.

Poncing officially should commence tomorrow, as 3 months to go. It being a Rudolph Day and all that.

But those of us over on the "How many days until Christmas?" thread have been preparing for months (some started on Boxing Day I believe - I waited until January, um, about 4th I believe!!). So you can never be too early!!

Which reminds me, the Princessing thread has also started and I keep forgetting handcream. So off to put some of that on now, and then wander down the hall for a glass of water, and then I will be back to consider poncing properly.

Note: I do not ponce fully and completely. I do a fair bit, and like a lovely festive season - but I work FT, cannot arrange flowers or greenery for toffee, don't have time for crafting mostly, and while I will have MG Brussels sprouts this year (that poncing must start in spring - sorry), our gravy is made using HM giblet stock but also using Bisto gravy powder - so I cannot truly mix it with some of the Poncing Goddesses that inhabit the thread most years fgrin We loves the flickering flames of real candles in our house, but we also wear some truly naff Christmas jumpersfwink

BiddyPop Thu 24-Sep-15 16:03:34

MG was supposed to be HG - home grown.

Hangs up poncing crown in shame////

Snausage Thu 24-Sep-15 16:43:23

I'm still new to Mumsnet, but I am totally planning a poncetastic Christmas. I will be following this thread with great enthusiasm!

MadrigalElectromotive Thu 24-Sep-15 16:56:11

Yay! Placemarking.

I am a wannabe ponce really - I do set out with good poncetastic intentions but get a bit exhausted by it all come mid-December so I may have to live vicariously though all of you!

queenrollo Thu 24-Sep-15 16:57:21

As Biddy said - Poncetastic should officially launch on the 25th September.

I am hoping to ponce much more this year now my toddler is in nursery too days a week and not so clingy.

New challenge for me this year: cooking the christmas cake in the Rayburn.

LazySusan11 Thu 24-Sep-15 17:35:34

I'm not being too poncey this year Christmas food is M&S as we have family coming and it's the first Christmas dh and I have had together in 3 years, however I will be making my own wreath with poncey lights for the front door and lavender shortbread and a few drinks. I've always wanted to have a poncey Christmas just never had the time.

KinkyDorito Thu 24-Sep-15 17:35:37

Now I have seen this title in the list, I know Christmas is coming fgrin.

WaitingForEgg Thu 24-Sep-15 18:05:17

I myself am determined to ponce as much as possible this year depute being due DC1 on 18th December... Therefore I have started my poncing extra early this year to compensate, especially as DH is being trusted with on the day cooking (family are coming to us) which means lots of preparation and freezing for me to avoid the inevitable bisto disdain he could bring us all too hmm

MadrigalElectromotive Thu 24-Sep-15 18:06:06

That is commitment OP!

WaitingForEgg Thu 24-Sep-15 18:07:26

FellatioNelson's OP from previous years in case newbies are unaware:

OK, first of all, I know it's still September by we need to start this thread now because as you all know, having a truly Poncetastic Christmas involves precision planning, strategy, bravery, heroics, and frequently martyrdom. A bit like the war in Afghanistan, only with nicer food and sparkly shoes.

So, if you, like me, actually want to make the next twelve weeks of your life a misery by hand-crafting your cards, finding a huge bucket for Nigella's turkey in brine, pickling pears, shrivelling oranges in a low oven for those rustic au naturel decorations, dragging half a holly bush back from the woods, and just generally being a smug annoying jobsworth ponce, join me on this thread.

Feel free to post photos of previous tree-trimming, cake icing or table centrepiece triumphs, discuss this year's bauble colour themes, debate the merits of Delia versus Gordon, road-test a selection of canapes and cocktails, (all in the line of duty) and link to lovely inspirational photos/craft ideas for a truly Poncetastic Christmas.

Warning: If your idea of a good Christmas involves Pizza, ITV, gravy granules or anything with 'Aunt Bessies' on the packet, this is not the thread for you.

Binglet Thu 24-Sep-15 18:14:32

I am here, checking in ready for the most poncetastic Christmas. We are going out for Christmas dinner, to a bloody Indian restaurant. Not my idea at all but DPs family do it every year and we have avoided it like the plague for the last few years. But this is looking like his DGF last Christmas so he's asked if I didn't mind. Never again. I will however over compensate on decor and ponciness.

WaitingForEgg Thu 24-Sep-15 18:18:33

Apologies for the typos, I need to proof read when on the iPad...

Strawclutching Thu 24-Sep-15 18:19:49

I'm in. Long time lurker while I ponce privately but the time has come to come out....

Cookingongas Thu 24-Sep-15 18:23:37

I've arrived!!! This is my home, and here I will stay until Januarygrin
i love to ponce

ARichVernacular Thu 24-Sep-15 18:23:52

I always lurk on these threads but never end up poncing much. Maybe this year will be different...

ARockNRollNerd Thu 24-Sep-15 18:41:16

I'm another wannabe ponce. I'm going to be keeping my eye on this thread and try to be as poncey as possible!

Is there a Christmas Poncer 101 on previous threads for me to catch up on? grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now