We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What chocolate sweets do you buy for Christmas?

(35 Posts)
CarlaJones Sun 20-Sep-15 10:00:14

Inspired by the Lindor thread. I liked a poster's idea of filling a glass bowl with different flavour Lindor. Just wondered what chocolate and sweets people like to get in for Christmas. I've bought various things in the past like Heroes, German chocolate marzipan sweets (I've forgotten the brand,) cherry choc liqueurs, marzipan fruits, choc orange. Thinking of just buying a single huge box of chocs this year. Maybe Lindt or M&S.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 20-Sep-15 10:20:07

We have a glass bob-bon jar on a side table so it gets filled during the year (at the moment it's got some Werthers and some M&S sherbert fruits)

I've bought a box of M&S Swiss chocolates (£5, half price)

I buy the M&S cherry brandy ones
Some chocolate marzipan (Lakeland)
After Eights

Usually a tub of Heroes ,mini Toblerones (no-one eats the dark chocolate so I use them in Brownies) and Terrys Segments

This year , I'm planning silver and bottle green for my table, so I'm already thinking about silver/green wrapped chocolates .Thorntons double cream mints for definate.I have a glass/chrome 3 tier cake-stand so I can put them artfully of the different levels grin

CarlaJones Sun 20-Sep-15 11:47:36

The bottle green and silver colour scheme sounds lovely. Thanks for the tip about the half price M&S chocs.

Dancingqueen17 Sun 20-Sep-15 13:00:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Nonnainglese Sun 20-Sep-15 13:04:11

Green and Black's mini chocolate bars plus Lindt balls for a start, plus chocolate tree decorations too.

CiderwithBuda Sun 20-Sep-15 13:20:56

Big box of Celebrations. Maybe some Lindor balls.

Bought Quality .street last year but didn't like them.

Iloveonionchutney Sun 20-Sep-15 13:24:32

Big tub of heroes or three, a big box of maltesers, whatever mint chocolate I can get my hands on and Aldi's chocolate liquers

ImperialBlether Sun 20-Sep-15 13:26:06

I remember when I used to get a big box of Thornton's, but I wouldn't bother now. They taste completely different now to how they did.

Whatabout Sun 20-Sep-15 13:32:35

A box of aldi mini bars, I have no idea what they are called! Several tubs of heroes / celebrations / segments / quality street usually. Not sure how much we will bother with this year, I feel quite bored by the same things every year.

ipswichwitch Sun 20-Sep-15 13:39:18

Lindor balls and chocolate oranges are now a Christmas essential in our family. I get a lot of hotel chocolat stuff - the choc santas for the DC (ok so DH and I get one too!) and DH usually gets the chocolate filled cracker in his stocking (not the giant one).

olbas Sun 20-Sep-15 13:49:47

Lindor balls which I buy in pick n mix form as they do coffee ones for DH and Ds1. Ds3 and Ds4 like the caramel ones, DD likes the strawberry and cream ones. I thread them for the sweetie tree! I don't buy anything else as mum gives them a selection box each.

Sgtmajormummy Sun 20-Sep-15 14:02:34

Assorted Lindor balls and one chocolate angel for our Advent calendar panel which is the only thing that goes up before December 15th. Bah, humbug!
We all have a favourite Lindor so there's a lot of "who's opening today's pocket?" which increases the fun.

On Christmas day we have Italian sweets, most memorably the speciality from Verona "mandorlato" which is whole almonds in vanilla flavoured glass-like nougat, sandwiched in rice wafers. They sell it in lovely blue tins because it attracts moisture and quite frankly I might KILL for it!

MrsMummyPig Sun 20-Sep-15 14:17:53

I just stock up on a few of our favourites, maltesers, choc Brazil's etc in the months before and decant them into glass jars at Christmas. I started doing this because when I bought mixed sweets in tins we used to eat all the nice ones waste a lot like strawberry creams etc. They used to still be sat there weeks later.

CarlaJones Sun 20-Sep-15 15:51:04

Just remembered that i like Giandujotto and the big Toblerone bars. I may get them plus a tub of Heroes and box of M&S chocs. Plus a few choc marzipan and cherry liqueur chocs.

CarlaJones Sun 20-Sep-15 15:59:40

Just realised i started off in my op saying i was going to buy one big box of chocs and now it seems to have expanded a bit. blush

Plentychilled Sun 20-Sep-15 16:02:41

Red lindors and matchmakers every year without fail. Then alternate between roses/quality street and celebrations and heroes. Usually get a bag of mini ones like aero and maltesers.

Madbengalmum Sun 20-Sep-15 16:06:22

Hotel chocolat choc covered fruits
Chocolate orange
Toffifee
Thorntons viennese truffles
A large box of chocs from our local fancy chocolate shop
Italian nougat ameretto flavour
Reeses snowman/santas

PesoPenguin Sun 20-Sep-15 18:43:35

I get a lot of chocolates from school too. Ds only likes Maltesers and I always get a box from school without fail ( and spares since some people turn their noses up at them shock).

Dh only likes Cekebrations (boring)

And I like everything else grin

ijustwannadance Sun 20-Sep-15 18:49:45

Large dark choc toblerone and Elizabeth Shaw mints ( grown up chocolate coins!)

HelenaDove Sun 20-Sep-15 18:54:11

Mingles <boak>

Ive never tried Toffifee.

HelenaDove Sun 20-Sep-15 18:55:18

Christmas Day 1984 I was 11 I ate a whole box of Elizabeth Shaw choc mints before lunch blush

00100001 Sun 20-Sep-15 18:55:36

We don't buy an, exceot for stocking fillers. We eat whatever we're given, from all aortf of places. We get given a lot really and end up passing them on or donating them our church has a chocolate and wine donation Service.

But, if there's a chocolate Orange entering the house, they get put in the fruit bowl :p

FlopIsMyParentingGuru Sun 20-Sep-15 19:04:02

Niederegger marzipan sweets, either their limited edition ones for the year or selection.
Don't buy anything else as we will prob get given some and DM will appear with huge tub of quality street even if we say not to

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 20-Sep-15 19:56:26

That's the ones - Niederegger.

I tasted tested some (like you should , just in case)
The original marzipan/plain chocolate are scrumptious.
The assortment - loved the pistachio one, not the orange or pineapple.

A couple of years ago they have a Brownie flavour , delicious.

I like those round marzipan chocolates with the picture of Mozart (I think) on them. Got some from HomeSense (TKMaxx homeware).
I can't eat milk or white chocolate so I'm very limited <<sad>>

BiddyPop Mon 21-Sep-15 10:10:03

A BIG (at least 2 fistfuls - extremely scientific measurement instructions to the poor shop guys!) bag of Leonidas orangettes.

DH always buys me a few nougats.

We like to have After Eights around too, or some Elizabeth Shaw mints.

Otherwise, it's whatever we are lucky enough to be given. Which is a very mixed bag usually.

But we're not huge sweet eaters normally - some naice choc from time to time, but more often things like breadsticks or crisps to nibble on.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now