Talk

Advanced search

Christmas away from home. Help me with the logistics!

(10 Posts)
lazzaroo Sat 12-Sep-15 19:42:33

Looks like we are going to get at the in-laws this year. I'm dreading it but just have to get used to it. They live too far away for us to visit without staying overnight. We'll be there 3 days.

How do you all do it? I love the whole Xmas eve stuff, getting stockings ready etc I can still do that my way, right? Do we take all our presents for the DC with us? Or leave them at ours & say Santa left them for us to open when we get home?

Do I just have to keep quiet & do things the way I'm told they should be done?

I know I am probably over thinking but it's doing my head in! I've been googling holiday lets tonight to see if we could book a nearby cottage or something, but guess that would be unfair on the DC?

Help!

BreeVDKamp Sat 12-Sep-15 19:45:34

I'm wondering the same. A holiday let sounds like a great idea, in what way would it be unfair on the DC? confused you'd be able to do the Xmas eve evening/stocking opening as you'd like then go over to your ILs.

Plus if your ILs are like mine you'll be desperate for your own space come the end of the day!

Rivercam Sat 12-Sep-15 19:48:37

We. Used to take presents with us. If there were loads, then we may have saved some at home (maybe from your side of,the family) to open when coming home.

lazzaroo Sat 12-Sep-15 19:49:53

Exactly, it's the 24/7 nature of it that I really struggle with. Plus the DC never sleep well & always end up over tired & grumpy! I just thought maybe an unknown holiday let would not be as 'Christmas cosy' for them as the house.

Seriously though, I have to sort my head out. Every time I think about it I want to cry!

SideOrderofChips Sat 12-Sep-15 19:55:09

I do it every few years. Pack up the car and take the DC, DH over to the uk to visit my parents.

We pack it all in suitcases in the car and i wrap when we get there. We leave huge presents at home and make sure Santa leaves a note to say that he knew we wouldnt be able to fit them in the car to bring back so delivered them to our house.

BreeVDKamp Sat 12-Sep-15 20:07:04

Oh yeah, I spose there would be no tree etc in a holiday let. Hmm. Tricky!

lazzaroo Sat 12-Sep-15 20:30:43

Yeah, I just have to do it! and stop stressing about it!

ItStillLooksLikeRainDear Sat 12-Sep-15 20:39:36

I'd have a chat with mil long in advance of going - What can you do/ bring to help, does she mind if you... I'd plan the chat before you call her & have a note pad beside you with the main things you want to address & to note down anything. That way you can stop wondering & worrying about some of the things that are bothering you & (if you're like me) playing out how different scenarios could play out. We spent 5 yrs travelling to in laws & it was always ok in the end. Good luck.

FoxesSitOnBoxes Sat 12-Sep-15 20:42:56

We're doing holiday let and I'm taking decorations and we'll get a last minute tree. It's nice to have time with the DC to do Christmas our own way

anorakgirl Sat 12-Sep-15 20:45:38

We do holiday lets every other year. We take a few presents and leave the rest for when we get back. We have an artificial tree and some decorations that come with us. We write a letter to Father Christmas before we go so he knows where we'll be. It's all great fun!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now