Talk

Advanced search

Stocking and advent calendar contents for a 2.5 year old

(19 Posts)
Helgathehairy Fri 11-Sep-15 13:25:07

This is the first year I really want to do a stocking and advent calendar for DD. (partly influenced by the fact we're going to NYC at the end of October and I'm hoping to get a pottery barn stocking!) www.potterybarnkids.com/m/products/nordic-wool-stocking-collection/?pkey=e%7Cstockings%7C112%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C15%7C%7C14&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH

What can I put in that won't be too small ((or messy!). I'm going through threads but they all seem to be for slightly older kids.

BlueStarsAtNight Fri 11-Sep-15 14:57:55

Do you mean a wooden drawer type advent calendar? My nephew was that age last year and my sister had a mini Christmas tree for him, and then put a mini decoration and a Christmas sticker in each box, he absolutely loved it.

For the stocking, you could put in stuff like funky hair grips, a cuddly character toy, character socks, a fairy wand, mini books, farm animals?

1122christy Fri 11-Sep-15 17:11:00

Some things I have got over the years (my kids are son 7, and 2 dd 5ys and will b 3 this Xmas)

Wind up toys
Costume jewellery - usually pick ones up from primark or poundland, got Disney princess rings for £2 in primark last week.
Xmas themed crayons/colouring pad
Playdoh tub
Jumbo chocolate coin
Little people/happyland figures
Favourite character bubble bath
Character face flannels (magic ones in a square)
Small soft toy
Mini books
Favourite character brush & bobble set
Sylvanian family baby (usually about £5)
Playmobil surprise bag (more for 3+ but depends on ur child my youngest dd plays with them fine)
Lip balms/gloss
Kinder egg surprise or surprise balls (peppa pig etc)
Last year my older kids got a hexbug and robo fish so my 2.1yr (at the time) got them too, and loved them. Not something I would have thought to get that age group but really they are fine.

Helgathehairy Fri 11-Sep-15 19:49:19

Brilliant ideas there.

The advent calendars I'm looking at are like mini stockings on a garland. I want something I can string across the chimney breast.

like this

PeppaPigStinks Fri 11-Sep-15 21:11:49

Pound land is your friend for this!! I've cheated this year and bought my two the Lego one!

WutheringTights Fri 11-Sep-15 22:52:41

My DS (3 in December) will be getting the following:

Chocolate buttons or a chocolate lolly which he will eat for breakfast (chocolate is a rare treat in this house)
An Octonauts or Fireman Sam magazine
Bubbles
A small toy that goes with something bigger that he will get, like a playmobil 123 character, last year he got cars to go with his garage
Something silly that he will wear, like Superman socks or a funny hat

We tend to be pretty sparing on the stocking so that the DCs aren't overwhelmed too early in the day.

Lovelydiscusfish Fri 11-Sep-15 23:15:18

Stationary (sp?) bits and bobs? (Wilkos do a very cheap range of novelty rubbers, post-its etc, that dd has loved from a very young age).
Hair bobbles (H and M do some My Little Pony ones, complete with a long tail that is almost like a hair extension! Yay!)
Do you shop at Lidl ever? If so, they give you a free little toy in a blind bag (not sure of the name -dd calls them "popper things") for every £10 spent, which might fit well in an advent calendar.

AlwaysUnsure Sat 12-Sep-15 08:24:45

I started this last year (DD would have been 3 then).
I had the stocking type garland too.
I filled it with a mixture of activities - draw a snow man, dance to Christmas music, go see Santa - and gifts - Christmas hair bobbins & clips. I picked them up in Claire's they had jingle Christmas bracelets & necklaces which she loved.

At the beginning of December I gave her a Christmas craft box which tied in with the activities - painting drawing making Christmas cards etc.

DS is 2 this year so I'll include stuff for him.

This year I'm doing the same activities again and interspersing with small gifts - bobbins, playdoh (small tubs) playmobil Christmas pieces small chocolates etc.

Stocking wise : (something they want, something they need, something to eat and something to read - I got that on MN)
Books
socks
underwear
stationary
crayons
colouring books
Small selection box
princess stuff - jewellery dress up things
Toy cars
Small playmobil selection
Hair accessories (you can never have enough )
A put together styrofoam plane - hours of fun chucking it around

HTH

attheendoftheday Sat 12-Sep-15 09:30:11

One year a bought a big load of plastic animal figures on eBay and put one in each day of the advent calendar. Another year I did finger puppets.

Helgathehairy Sat 12-Sep-15 15:17:08

Thanks so much. Really looking forward to this now!

CJCreggsmyhero Sun 13-Sep-15 21:08:33

I love the pottery barn stocking - have you seen anything similar in UK?

Helgathehairy Sun 13-Sep-15 22:58:07

I don't really think there's a similar stocking in the UK. Etsy and not on the high street would probably be the best places to look. They're my back up plan if I can't get the pottery barn one.

Scotinoz Mon 14-Sep-15 04:22:46

You can order Pottery Barn online with UK delivery. The stockings are lovely - I got one for my eldest last year. They also do personalisation which is lovely.

CJCreggsmyhero Mon 14-Sep-15 21:59:15

Ooooo.... Thank you scotinoz.

CleanHankie Mon 14-Sep-15 22:29:02

Just don't get the Pottery Barn stockings with bells. Very pretty but totally impractical for Santa duties grin

So that I don't have to hunting for 24 small items for an advent calendar, I tend to do 12 pressies and 12 chocolate items. I also leave a Lego Christmas Tree in the pockets for days leading up to Christmas, indicates the gift is under the tree and I can then include a new Christmas Book, Christmas pyjamas and a new tree decoration (the DD's have their own tree to decorate). I know some people keep these items for a Christmas eve hamper though.

Rubber duck, toothbrush, flannel and tissues are staples for a stocking

TheMilkyBarKid Sun 22-Nov-15 20:12:25

BlueStarsAtNight - That Christmas tree idea is brilliant!

LondonTizz Sun 22-Nov-15 20:45:56

Just wanted to say that I bought an advent calendar like the one above from Sarah sewsit on etsy and it's beautiful, would definitely recommend

missmargot Sun 22-Nov-15 21:06:30

This is DS's first year for an advent calendar and he will be 23 months. I've bought a gorgeous set of 24 mini wooden Gisella Graham decorations and a lovely White Company tabletop tree so he can hang a decoration on it every morning.

DontStopBelievin Mon 23-Nov-15 01:03:48

- hair bobbles
- packet of chocolate buttons
- pencils
- miniature book that attaches to pushchairs (like this, keeps them amused when out and about...) www.amazon.co.uk/Fehn-85273-Picture-River-Design/dp/B00CPLDMKW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1448240556&sr=8-2&keywords=pushchair+book

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now