Talk

Advanced search

Too young for IKEA play kitchen?

(23 Posts)
SalemSaberhagen Sat 15-Aug-15 14:00:24

DD will be 15mo at Christmas, and I really want to get her a substantial present that she will use the full year (and beyond) rather than plastic tat that will be redundant by Easter.

Will the IKEA kitchen be too young for her? I don't mind her not getting the full play experience from it yet, but obviously want her to be interested too!

Noggie Sat 15-Aug-15 14:02:38

Go for it! We got play kitchen as joint gift for our dds when they were nearly 4 and nearly 2- they both loved it! Had many a dinner made for me!

Zeitgeistic Sat 15-Aug-15 14:02:44

I wouldn't think she was too young no. I bought one when youngest was about 18 months old and she's always had fun playing with it- she's nearly 4 now and it still gets played with regularly.

PotteringAlong Sat 15-Aug-15 14:04:07

Never too young for the play kitchen! grin

CookieMonstersAngryTwin Sat 15-Aug-15 14:05:07

My 18 month old loves our wooden kitchen, she plays everyday with it and really think its sped up her using cups and knife and fork too so I'd say go for it. smile

Mummybare Sat 15-Aug-15 14:06:45

We got one for DD when she was about 18 months and she has played with it soooo much. It's probably our most used toy. They love the play food too. She still plays with it at 3.4yo and DS, 11mo, joins in a bit too occasionally, so I say go for it.

CookieMonstersAngryTwin Sat 15-Aug-15 14:09:03

If you have the room I'd recommend the retro elc kitchen diner, its amazing. Usually around £100 but they slash it to £75 nearer christmas (and through the year) so teamed with a birthday code and ordering via mothercare app for the £10 off we got it really cheap last year. Cheaper than the ikea one. thanks

faintlyoptimistic Sat 15-Aug-15 14:09:44

I got one for my eldest when she was about that age. It has been played with every single day. She has just turned 4! My 18 month old has also played with it pretty much every day since she started walking last December.

Hipotle Sat 15-Aug-15 14:11:09

DD was playing with the ikea one at playgroup from that age and had her own at home about 18months old, she loves it! Perfect age, go for it!

MintJulip Sat 15-Aug-15 14:23:22

no right age id say and grow into it v quickly

SalemSaberhagen Sat 15-Aug-15 14:26:57

Wonderful, thanks everyone! Will definitely be getting that nearer the time (and loads of other stuff no doubt too, the perils of living 5 minutes from IKEA!) I love that diner cookie, it's just space that's an issue!

SalemSaberhagen Sat 15-Aug-15 14:27:23

Gosh I exclaimed a lot there - I'm obviously very excited grin

christinarossetti Sat 15-Aug-15 14:33:00

My two are now 8 and 6 and they still play regularly with the toy kitchen.

Am excellent investment toy.

PinkParsnips Sat 15-Aug-15 14:38:53

No not too young!
My DD was 13 months last Christmas and got a little Peppa Pig kitchen which has been played with every day, even if it is just to take all the bits off and throw them!
We've bought her a bigger wooden one for her 2nd birthday this year.

CookieMonstersAngryTwin Sat 15-Aug-15 16:30:57

The ikea one is great, I was so close to getting it and pimping it up, pinterest is a bad influence grin

Lovelydiscusfish Sat 15-Aug-15 20:51:05

My dd was 20 months when I bought hers, and, going against the grain here, she didn't play with it much. She plays with it a bit more now she's 3, but again, not loads. Perhaps she's not a very kitcheny person (though she does love helping us cook).
I actually can't escape the conviction, which I formed just after I'd bought it, that, while I might admire the design of the Ikea one, she'd prefer one in luminous pink plastic with big pictures of kittens or dinosaurs or something all over it.

chanie44 Sat 15-Aug-15 21:06:17

I'm getting one for dds birthdays in a couple of days, she's going to be three.

Lovely - I did research some pink plastic kitchens that makes lots of noise and had running water, but there were some bad reviews.

Cookie - I plan on pimping up dds kitchen, hopefully, before she opens it, but I it probably won't happen.

CookieMonstersAngryTwin Sun 16-Aug-15 07:39:01

You dont have to do the whole paint job, that'd be a lot of work, but you could buy some nice material or lace and cut it to size for the doors and mod podge it on, pink lace would look lovely, theres also the £11 ikea toy box we looked at turning into a fridge. Its shocking how much space you need for the food & accessories. Although we just use a spare food caddy.

Elllimam Sun 16-Aug-15 07:44:59

We got it for DS2's 1st birthday and he loved it.

Diamondsmiles Sun 16-Aug-15 07:53:04

Love the ikea kitchen. We got it when dd was 2 and she's 8 now and still plays with it. Even if at 15m your dd is possibly a bit little for it she won't feel she is missing out and she will soon grow into it.

code Sun 16-Aug-15 09:27:11

I would get it now, they tend to grow out of play kitchens at a young age.

Rachie1986 Sun 16-Aug-15 21:33:31

My daughter was roughly that age and loved hers from the word go!

ijustwannadance Sun 16-Aug-15 21:49:16

DD was 18 months when we got one and still plays with it now (4.5). Loved it as it wasn't garish and went well with our kitchen. Plastic ones aren't great. Ikea one will last you years. We bought the soft fruit and veg baskets too which are lovely for young kids and rather than getting crappy tea set things we just bought a set each of their plastic picnic stuff. 6 pack of plastic, brightly coloured plates, beakers and cutlery for £1 per pack! (Which also come in very handy at kids parties/picnics so they all have their own colour set)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now