Talk

Advanced search

mum and dad

(17 Posts)
themumfairy Fri 14-Aug-15 15:47:48

I'd like to get my mum and dad a joint present this year as well as their individual presents.

They've helped me a lot before I passed my driving test and with childcare while we worked so would love to get them something they could treasure forever.

I got them their wedding picture blown up into a canvas a few years ago and they loved it.

ideally no more pictures as their walls are full and no ornaments as little grandchildren tend to break them blush

my dad is 63 and mum is 58.
both work so I can't organise a trip anywhere and I'd prefer to get them something to keep anyway.

any ideas....

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 14-Aug-15 19:16:39

Gosh that's a toughie. Not going out, not an ornament and not a photo. Not sure what to advise.

MrsLeighHalfpenny Fri 14-Aug-15 19:21:40

I bet they'd like a photo of their grand kids.

What about a rose bush, or tree of some kind for the garden?

Otherwise booze, or something for the house I suppose.

Finlaggan Fri 14-Aug-15 19:21:59

Photo book of the grandchildren & you and siblings?

Cinema & dinner vouchers they could use on a weekend or evening?

patienceisvirtuous Fri 14-Aug-15 19:22:19

iPad?

Digicam?

Set of lovely crystal glasses?

His n hers watches?

IHeartKingThistle Fri 14-Aug-15 19:23:34

One year I got my mum a proper fancy Christmas carousel - it lights up, plays music, spins round. It's gorgeous and is treasured, all the more so I think because it comes out once a year and brings back happy memories. And doesn't clutter the house the rest of the year!

Failing that, a tree?

TheImprobableGirl Fri 14-Aug-15 19:29:46

I saw a great idea that I pinched for my grandparents (64 and 84) which was a little bird house which has a camera inside which attaches to the computer or whatnot and is like a private springwatch I think!!

I'm not explaining it very well...

try the link...

pocketsized Fri 14-Aug-15 19:49:22

We're going to buy my parents a digital photo frame that we can update by emailing photos to it, so they get new pictures of their granddaughter all the time. Would be one more frame, but much more versatile... I'll see if I can find a link.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 14-Aug-15 19:59:59

How about a Royal Doulton Santa? Know it's an ornament but my DParents love theirs. It comes out each year and is either on the mantle or makes a nice table piece.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 14-Aug-15 20:01:07

Love the idea of a nest box with camera, might just Nick that one myself smile

TheImprobableGirl Fri 14-Aug-15 21:23:54

Oh jilted please do, I am still favourite grandchild wink and im sure dd's have got moved to the front of the picture bookshelf!!!

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 15-Aug-15 14:06:55

Oh jilted please do, I am still favourite grandchild wink and im sure dd's have got moved to the front of the picture bookshelf!!! grin

There is no question then I'm getting them one smile

GlitterTwinkleToes Sat 15-Aug-15 14:10:40

How about you and your DC make a scrapbook.

Fill with photos, drawings, get the DC to write out their favourite memories with them etc

ColeslawSandwich Sat 15-Aug-15 19:33:33

pocket that sounds brilliant, let us know if you can find the link thanks.

pocketsized Sun 16-Aug-15 08:27:06

I'm not sure which model we will get yet, but something like this wireless-digital-frames-review.toptenreviews.com/mobile/

ColeslawSandwich Mon 17-Aug-15 18:59:56

Thanks pocketsized.

mrspuddleduckie Tue 18-Aug-15 09:33:33

Last year we got Mum & Dad a new Weber BBQ as an extra joint treat at Christmas. I know it seems a funny time of year but it meant prices were good, they'd wanted one for ages, and come summer, they spent every weekend in the garden enjoying it together and having people over.

Also then for mother's day in spring we got the weber wooden BBQ board, floral apron and melamine picnicware to go with it, and for father's day in June, we got Dad a stripy apron, utensils, BBQ cook book etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now