Talk

Advanced search

Something for the mantelpiece?

(5 Posts)
CarpeJugulum Mon 10-Aug-15 13:42:12

Just moved to a new house and have a fireplace for the first time. I know it's early but have some time now before I need to start job hunting!

It's a gas fire, which may be on, but probably won't be - any suggestions for something I can drape on the mantelpiece to add to the Christmas feeling?

Earlybird Mon 10-Aug-15 13:47:59

Greenery / garland. If you have an electric socket nearby, can weave small lights into the garland. Can also place ivory candles in the garland - though I would only look at them, and not light them (unless you get the battery powered ones).

Make sure the garland isn't too thick / bushy, or it could look like a hedge on top of the mantelpiece!

I have some lovely 'fake' greenery that I use, so don't have to worry about it drying out, leaving residue, etc.

girlywhirly Mon 10-Aug-15 15:55:13

You don't have to use a fir type garland, you could have a twiggy/ berry garland, or ivy. We have a gold twiggy/berry garland across our dining table with battery led lights wound through it; some of the 'berries' are transparent and the light shines through them.

With a lighter garland, you can stand ornaments on the mantel with them, e.g. those table top trees or deer that seem so popular. Or you could position large pine cones and other natural materials.

CarpeJugulum Tue 11-Aug-15 06:20:38

I like the idea of lights as berries, and greenery rather than the runner thing I was trying to envisage.

Will have to work out where the clock ends up now! grin

Thanks!

NeverNic Tue 18-Aug-15 09:25:12

Agree garland, also Christmas tealights (glass containers) from marks or sainsburys and stocking hangers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now