Talk

Advanced search

Christmas film for sensitive 4 year old?

(27 Posts)
maplepecanpie Thu 30-Jul-15 16:22:01

I always get a new Christmas film for us to watch on Christmas Eve. DS is 4 and cries at any sad or emotive part in a film. He cried watching Polar Express when the boy lost the bell, he cried when the snowman melted in The Snowman. Even non-Christmas films. He cried when watching Home. He even cries at sad music.

So can anyone recommend me a lovely, jolly Christmas film with no sad bits, no sad music. Something 100% upbeat! Thanks.

attheendoftheday Thu 30-Jul-15 19:39:00

How about the Grinch who stole Christmas? The old one rather than the Jim Carey one.

Or we have a DVD with lots of Christmas episodes of different shows on which is liked by my 4 year old.

I've been recommended Santa Paws and Once Upon a Christmas, but haven't actually seen them myself.

YerTiz Thu 30-Jul-15 19:41:13

My sensitive 4yo liked Arthur Christmas, although there are some sad bits.

Hhmm, tricky!

drinkscabinet Thu 30-Jul-15 19:41:22

Annabelle's Wish is lovely although I can't guarantee no sad bits. Very gentle cartoon though.

maplepecanpie Thu 30-Jul-15 19:43:42

Arthur Christmas was on last year in the background but DS didn't pay much attention to it. He must have missed the sad bits!

I'll look at the original Grinch. Thank you. Haven't heard of Santa Paws. We've seen Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas when he was 2.

maplepecanpie Thu 30-Jul-15 19:44:39

Thanks, will look up Annabelle's Wish also. Maybe I should watch them before he does to make sure. Vet them for sad bits grin

TheOnlyPink Fri 31-Jul-15 12:48:26

Mickey has twice upon a Christmas too! It's lovely! And snowed in at the house of mouse.

blueistheonlycolourwefeel Fri 31-Jul-15 13:34:06

I'm 40, and I'd not describe myself as sensitive, but I cried at all those things you mentioned too!!!!

LokiBear Sat 01-Aug-15 20:34:04

You can get the set of 4 Mickey Mouse dvds (Once upon a Christmas and Twice upon a Christmas plus two others) my only just 4 year old loves them! Arthur Christmas is lively too. Merry Madagascar is funny, as is Snow Dogs. I need to get out more blush

LokiBear Sat 01-Aug-15 20:34:35

Lovely not lively

IsItMeOr Sun 02-Aug-15 11:45:25

Uber sensitive DS was fine with this Winnie the Pooh one.

We've found the Commonsense Media site very helpful for giving detailed info to help us decide which films will be good for DS.

ilovelamp82 Tue 04-Aug-15 23:41:35

My 3 year old DS loved Elf. Still asks to watch it but I try to not watch it much as I love it too and don't want to be sick of it by Christmas. I don't know how much of the story line he understood but there's cheery music all the way through and it's funny.

IdaShaggim Wed 05-Aug-15 07:30:47

Second vote for Elf... My very sensitive DD loved it, there are no 'baddies' or 'saddies' just a grumpy Dad!

coffeeandchoc Wed 05-Aug-15 07:40:57

Has he watched any curious George? My 2 DS's loved this from an early age and continuously have it saved on our sky planner. Including the Christmas film a very monkey Christmas which has been watch again and again and no sad bits!

Boosiehs Wed 05-Aug-15 07:48:11

Elf! I hope my DS loves this as much as I do. smile

maplepecanpie Wed 05-Aug-15 23:55:48

Thanks for more suggestions! He hasn't seen Elf although I have but I can't stand Will Ferrell so maybe we'll give it a go.

He watches Curious George every now and then, so that could be one for the list too. That's always happy and positive!

HamletTheCat Fri 07-Aug-15 11:21:27

Prep and landing is brilliant- good for all ages and very funny! My dc also really like disney's santa buddies although not seen it myself so not sure if there are any sad bits.

vvviola Fri 07-Aug-15 11:27:34

Santa Paws caused sobbing in my very sensitive 6yo. It also led to some very weird ideas about adoption ("buying children", dead parents, being stolen to be adopted), which as an adopted person, I found very upsetting (I wasn't watching it closely with the DC so not entirely sure how that came out). DD2 (2 at the time) was utterly terrified by it (no idea why)

So, although my Children appear to be a bit OTT in their reactions, Santa Paws is a no from me!!

(They both loved Arthur Christmas this year, if that helps)

HeadDreamer Fri 07-Aug-15 11:29:55

My 4yo is very sensitive and she can't watch anything not specifically aimed at preschoolers. We did the mickey ones and peppa pig. We have Netflix so it's ok if she wouldn't watch them.

NotCitrus Fri 07-Aug-15 11:34:53

My 6yo is still easily upset by films. The best over Christmas were the Gruffalo and Gruffalo's Child, because he knew the stories already, and the Octonauts Christmas specials. Any films were too much, and tbh I can't stand emotion- jerking films either.

OneoftheseBoxes Fri 07-Aug-15 11:45:53

Yes, Prep and Landing really good. My 4yo (and 2yo) both think its hilarious. A bit of mild peril perhaps, but nothing sad.

drinkscabinet Sun 09-Aug-15 00:20:31

Elf introduces the idea that people don't believe in Santa so may or may not be acceptable to you. Our kids love Nativity (DD1 asked to watch it today!) and there's nothing to scary in that. It's a funny mix of adult and childish though.

midgeymum2 Mon 10-Aug-15 17:30:04

Raymond Briggs's Father Christmas is good, no sad bits and not too long.

Oldraver Fri 14-Aug-15 18:22:07

Does it have to be a film? My older DS used to love Disney's Sing-a-Long a Christmas songs...they have the words to join in and is very 'jolly'

fhdl34 Fri 14-Aug-15 18:23:45

Muppets Christmas carol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now