Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone started buying Christmas presents yet?

(24 Posts)
HelloMummyCat Thu 30-Jul-15 09:41:26

I thought I'd come over to the Christmas topic this morning because I'll hopefully be buying the first Christmas presents today for dd who'll be nearly 3 at Christmas and I wondered if anybody else has started buying yet? smile

Cocolepew Thu 30-Jul-15 09:43:36

Im going to start tomorrow, payday!
My dds will be 14 and nearly 18oso I'm at the stage where they can just get the money. mI'm going to buy a few bits and bobs to wrap up.

GemmaTeller Thu 30-Jul-15 09:46:11

I'm half way through my list.

I've been making (knitting) one a month since January and now buying one a month till Dec.

maplepecanpie Thu 30-Jul-15 09:48:25

I'm going to start at the end of August. So far I've only bought a few little things to have leading up to Christmas eg. festive jumper, Christmas pyjamas, Santa letter kit and a Christmas game.

Mulligrubs Thu 30-Jul-15 09:49:48

I have! I am due baby 2 in November and DS turns 2 in November so I want it all done by then. I have a birthday list for DS and Christmas lists for DD and DS - have bought DS 2 of his things so far.

TravellingToad Thu 30-Jul-15 09:54:42

Yes! have been following the Bargain Hub facebook page that I read about on here and have already bought a brio airport set for DS1 who will be 3.5 and a leap frog pull along alpha pup for DS2 who is 1. i've literally never been this organised!

(its a group of mums who post when they see toys etc on special offer)

gamerchick Thu 30-Jul-15 09:54:42

Yep started here. This year is easy for me anyway so may as well get it all in early. Wiiu games as they pop up in sales type of thing and Amazon sales.

jn367502 Thu 30-Jul-15 10:08:53

I have. I have bought all my son's presents and now I'm starting on the adults. I want everyone bought for before December so I can actually afford to go out this year at crimbo.

SideOrderofChips Thu 30-Jul-15 10:31:10

You're a bit late asking that lol. I've been buying since May

wigglesrock Thu 30-Jul-15 10:55:41

I've got some bits and pieces in - have had two "Christmas" deliveries from Amazon and Not on the High Street this week (hangs head in embarrassment). My kids are 4,7 and 10 so still in wrapped present/surprise mode. I've a few birthdays before as well, and tend to use the Christmas bargain thread to pick up some gifts for school friends/parties etc.

HelloMummyCat Thu 30-Jul-15 11:08:59

I thought I probably wouldn't be the only one buying so soon, I want to start early so I can have my last wage before Christmas for lots of lovely food! I'm going to buy a few little bits for dd today then get her doll's house next pay day. I think my favourite part of Christmas is wrapping the presents and listening to Christmas music

xalyssx Thu 30-Jul-15 13:08:12

I'm almost done! I just have to get something for MIL, and the edible bits. All my family have birthdays between late September and early February, so I try to get all presents done by September.

BeyondDespairandRepair Thu 30-Jul-15 14:06:17

Op I am nearly done smile < smug.

I got some really fab stuff in the argos 3 for 2 sale and have already accumulated loads of other bits and pieces.

I have a roughly £70 spend left in Amazon ( books, sticker books and board /card games) and then I am done.

Its a great feeling for me to know any extra pennies I have left can go to days out. We too have lots of bdays in sept and after.

We couldnt afford to do much last year - no panto, days out, so this year am determined to do lots of things. Hopefully now all pricey things are paid for I can smile < not so smug.

BeyondDespairandRepair Thu 30-Jul-15 14:07:44

hello I am sure you are aware but ebay has loads of stunning dolls houses for really cheap, they dont sell on well, I know I tried to sell a stunning one and couldnt get anything for it!

there really are lovely models and makes and you can pick them up £30 max, vgd

EmGee Thu 30-Jul-15 14:20:59

I've started but have concentrated on things that I always buy in advance (nightwear, colouring books, books, clothes, some Disney princess stuff, craft kits etc). Am being restrained though as I know the kids will start to express interest in new things in the autumn. Eg last year, they didn't get into Frozen until autumn so I got the dresses in November.

FiveGoMadInDorset Thu 30-Jul-15 14:25:15

Yes, going to make them mostly so will do them later, bought parents and sister, dithering about children's present though, floating between Wii U together or an iPod nano each, have been buying stuff for their stockings when I see something I like.

Baddz Thu 30-Jul-15 14:38:41

I start a (very) pt job next month and most of my wages up to Xmas will go on gifts/food/etc.
Ain't be starting for a while though! Have got lots of things on my Amazon wish list!
smile

cbear81 Thu 30-Jul-15 15:35:15

I start after my 3 kids bdays. so since March I have been stocking up on bargains! save a bundle & donate shoe boxes filled with goodies to charities too. I have a fbk group called Santa's little helpers which me and a few others post deals on every few days. like last year I got Disney princess castle that is £100 in argos sale for £40!! worth hunting all year for!

candykane25 Thu 30-Jul-15 16:22:29

All stocking fillers and friend's childrens gifts sorted and some even wrapped. I can't buy the main gifts until nearer the time because i try asking the What Do You Want For Christmas question and everyone howls at me to shut up. I know EXACTLY what i want for christmas. So frustrating having to wait for people to catch up grin

milkmilklemonade12 Thu 30-Jul-15 17:51:33

Yes I started in June. Got a couple of extra bits today and that's all the family and friend's children done now, so about 18 DC all with good gifts.

Now just family and friends (adults)

I trawl sales for good clothes for the family's DC, and for friends I tend to buy Lego/Playmobil type stuff that can be re gifted easily if necessary. Keep an eye on Amazon, especially in September for those items.

I've got £100 in love2shop vouchers from a work bonus thing, so I'll spend those in the next month and pick up some toys for DS, especially if there's a good 3 for 2. I won't be buying as much this year as I did last year, that's for damn sure!

HelloMummyCat Thu 30-Jul-15 20:42:05

Thanks beyond for the tip about doll's houses, I'm just going for a really basic wooden one for now because I think dd would get frustrated with all the fiddly bits on the bigger ones.
It sounds ad though you've all been busy so far! I usually wait until September to start Christmas shopping but I'm just feeling really excited alread and dd has asked me to put the Christmas tree up a couple of times in the last monthgrin

Haven't started buying yet but have started planning. Ds wants an Xbox one, not sure if he'll be getting it yet though as only recently replaced his broken Xbox 360! Will have to have a think on his main present.

Will be getting him a Jedi robe dressing gown, lightsaber (well, of course) and Lego Dimensions for the Xbox. Not sure on the rest of the list yet, gets harder each year as I have a habit of buying him too much!

CookieMonstersAngryTwin Mon 10-Aug-15 18:46:48

I picked up the rosebud big doll house, furnished and looks like new for £60 off gumtree. Its stunning. Worth looking on there as there were all kinds near us but I'd had my heart set on rosebud wink x

Pasithea Mon 10-Aug-15 18:50:20

Ha I started before last Christmas. borednonworkingsahw

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now