Talk

Advanced search

Christmas Decorating - minimal spend

(4 Posts)
70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 24-Jul-15 15:00:33

I know.
It;s July .
But this is The Christmas Thread and I'm watching Christmas in July on QVC (haven't bought anything yet ) fgrin

I'm thinking of decoration ideas that will cost me nil, nada, not a bean.
Or minimal.

In the garden, I have a wall of ivy. I make a lovely wreath for the door with long strands of ivy and wire, tied with red ribbon.
(We have a white porch door that wears the lit wreath . The ivy one goes on the inner glass front door. One of those clear suction hooks holds it, or the 3M hooks)

Collections of nice glass jars in the garden with tealights, holly and ivy wrapped round.

An 'IceBowl' - two large plastic bowls, one bigger . Freeze 2" of water in the bigger one, put the smaller one in, add decoration (holly, beads, old baubles) in the 'gap' and fill with water then freeze solid.
I put it on the garden table with a big candle in a jar inside. I usually have a half done Yankee jar somewhere.
Boiled water (boil and cool a few times to get rid of the oxygen) gives clear ice.

nickdrakeslovechild Fri 24-Jul-15 20:51:28

ooh good thread. I have been collecting pine cones which are falling now ready and also looking at pinterest for ideas. There is a lovely orange peel garland on there I am going to do. I can send you a link to my pintrest craft page if you are interested?

HippyChickMama Fri 24-Jul-15 21:04:05

I make or buy small gingerbread men (about £1.50 a box from asda) and hang them all over the tree with orange slices and cheap candy canes (from the £ shop). It looks lovely and costs me less than £5 to decorate the whole tree. I also make a foliage ball with holly, ivy and ribbon to hang from the hanging basket hook next to front door.

Chillywhippet Thu 30-Jul-15 19:55:38

. Just lost long post. Never mind will start again and not try to put in links to pics.

Christmas bunting? Might go and rummage through my recycling for suitably coloured clothes.

Do you have any wool - lots of ideas for crochet snowflakes (easy with a bit of practice) and knitted garlands. Wish I was up to the whole Knitivity book knitted set.

Snowflakes cut from paper using online templates.

I know lots of people hate "twiggy shit" on MN but I like to drag in a bare branch and decorate it in hall with fairy lights and crustal baubles. Might try a branch with coloured baubles over the dining table this year.

Advent envelopes look great just pegged on string or hung from twigs in vase. Envelopes can have kids activitiies or treats for adults!

I like to collect greenery for the mantel piece and the bannister on a good year (for being organised).

Dried orange slices on tree, pop corn garland (put out for birds after Christmas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now