Talk

Advanced search

daft question re twelfth night

(16 Posts)
workatemylife Sun 04-Jan-15 07:18:30

Is 'twelfth night ' January 5th or 6th? I assumed that Epiphany marked the end of Christmas but counting the days would make it a day earlier. On the bright side it seems to be bad luck to have decorations up after twelfth night unless you then leave them up all year! Problem solved smile

Mutt Sun 04-Jan-15 07:24:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

workatemylife Sun 04-Jan-15 09:27:54

Thanks - should have checked the wisdom of MN before asking. Decision made - tree and decs down tomorrow and we will enjoy a nice meal with the three kings gallette on Tuesday.. After that, school, work, and dieting!

LaurieFairyCake Sun 04-Jan-15 09:29:49

And obviously its not 'unlucky' at
all

As that would be weird grin

ConstantlyCooking Sun 04-Jan-15 10:09:15

The confusion about the date stems from the old way of beginning days at sunset. Thus the festival begins at sunset on 5 th and continues until sunset on 6th. Hope that helps.

dementedpixie Sun 04-Jan-15 10:23:45

Most things I read say the 5th is 12th night and the 6th is 12th day. Our tree came down last week and the rest of the decorations came down on Friday.

NoLongerJustAShopGirl Sun 04-Jan-15 10:27:39

Our tree is down already, the outdoor lights will come down when it is dry and not windy. So maybe April...

dementedpixie Sun 04-Jan-15 10:30:22

We got our outdoor lights down on Friday in a brief period when it wasn't sleeting and the wind had died down to make it safe enough to go up a ladder (made dh do it!)

Davros Sun 04-Jan-15 10:38:27

And what about advent? That is until the end of January I gather. My neighbour, who is religious, keeps some of her decs from end nov to end jan, all of advent. I think she gets rid of the tree

Everhopeful Sun 04-Jan-15 15:21:18

workatemylife - Three Kings Gallette (intrigued emoticon)? Please share!

Everhopeful Sun 04-Jan-15 15:22:43

Am afraid I'm packing everything up today, as I know perfectly well there is next to no chance of anything going away properly during the week...blush

pumpkinsweetie Sun 04-Jan-15 15:26:27

Everything goes down on the 2nd Jan here, you can have bad luck or goodluck, but i don't believe for a minute a few bits of tinsel and a massive great tree can save us from bad luck lolgrin

NuggetofPurestGreen Sun 04-Jan-15 15:27:30

No Advent is the month before Christmas not January. Clue is in the name wink

RoundRobinSparkles Sun 04-Jan-15 15:30:20

Mine are coming down on Tuesday. It was supposed to be today but I CBA to go out to the garage to get the box that the tree goes in! grinblush

I may go and get it later unlikely but otherwise it will have to be Tuesday as that's my day off work!

Davros Sun 04-Jan-15 18:42:59

I'm sure my neighbour says that Advent is until end jan unless it was something else. Either way, it meant that decorations and lights have to stay up to the end if January. I will question her.
Is the galette the Roscon de Reyes?

workatemylife Sun 04-Jan-15 19:22:52

yes - the galette is the 'three kings ' thing (I assume the Spanish and French are the same).I saw a Mary Berry recipe but there are lots online. Basically puff pastry filled with marzipan and almonds I think...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now