Talk

Advanced search

Are photo Christmas cards tacky? ?

(11 Posts)
val4 Mon 29-Dec-14 20:39:22

Every year I send Christmas cards with photo of 4 dcs(vistaprint). They are now 8 -14 and am wondering if I should let this year be the last photo card? I started the cards to save me prin ting out photos for family abroad, but wonder are the dcs (and dog) , gone past the "cute card" stage. What are your views??

MamaPizza Tue 30-Dec-14 08:37:05

I think it's fine for family, especially abroad.

But not for work colleagues / neighbours / anyone else.

WhoKnowsWhereTheMistletoes Tue 30-Dec-14 08:42:13

Agree, limit them to people who haven't seen your family during the year and will be interested, not those you see regularly or who don't know your DCs and never will, eg colleagues.

WhoKnowsWhereTheMistletoes Tue 30-Dec-14 08:44:39

My aunty made one of her, her DH and DCs last year, the DCs are in their 40s, it was nice, so age is not necessarily a problem.

SisterMoonshine Tue 30-Dec-14 13:13:46

I shold probably do these - I like recieving them.

Leeds2 Tue 30-Dec-14 13:33:08

I would never send one, tbh. Maybe for family, but not friends and neighbours.

DaisyFlowerChain Tue 30-Dec-14 15:32:35

For grandparents yes but for everyone else no.

val4 Tue 30-Dec-14 19:15:15

I normally send them to friends/family I haven't seen for while but some regular friends get them too. I think I will continue with it next year, but as some of you say, limit it to family/friends who we don't see too often. An Aunt of my dh told me that she has kept all our cards and loves seeing how much the children have grown. So next year will mix cards, and just send photo cards to family. By the way I send around 50 cards every year and love receiving them . To me they make Christmas. ..I don't really enjoy writing them but once that job is done, I love watching cards pop onto my mat daily, and hearing from friends and family some of which thus is our yearly contact. I don't think an e card is the same, and would hate to see this tradition die out.

openthecurtains Wed 31-Dec-14 15:15:47

I love receiving them. I don't receive many but I enjoy reading the updates and looking at the photos on the ones I do receive. And I think it makes sense to do it with Xmas cards now that stamps are so expensive. I have friends who include photos of teenage children and I think it's fine. I don't get the vitriol on here about them - sometimes people seem to be swapping cards with people they hate! I like it as a way of seeing and hearing how my friends are doing, especially if we've moved and don't get to see them often.

fairgame Wed 31-Dec-14 15:20:02

Can i hijack a little bit and ask as really stupid question please.
What am i supposed to do with the photo card after xmas?
My best friend sent me a card with a picture of her kids in xmas outfits. Now normally i put standard xmas cards in the recycling but i don't know what to do with the photo card. Am i supposed to keep it?

openthecurtains Wed 31-Dec-14 15:37:11

I recycle them. I don't think people send them thinking that you're going to keep them anymore than if people email you a pic they'd expect you to make it your screensaver. I take it as being a catch-up. I've sent them to close friends and relatives when we've been living abroad and I wouldn't expect them to keep them. I might keep the occasional one that I particularly like but most I read and dispose of with the other cards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now