Talk

Advanced search

The international space station

(15 Posts)
cheapandcheerful Wed 24-Dec-14 14:08:45

Which direction do we look?

I've figured out that it goes from west to east at 5:22pm today but do we look north or south?

ILoveGreekCats Wed 24-Dec-14 14:15:32

I've seen it quite a few times. Doesn't it tell you the direction to look in and the angle of elevation( ie. if it's overhead or lower down in the sky?

LuckyLopez Wed 24-Dec-14 14:19:53

South.

ILoveGreekCats Wed 24-Dec-14 14:25:38

Then look south. If you know what angle to look in you should be able to spot it. It doesn't flash like a plane and sometimes you can follow it for a fews mins until it disappears. Get outside a few mins earlier so your eyes get used to the dark and if you're looking in the right direction, you'll see it. It's quite exciting!

AwfulBeryl Wed 24-Dec-14 14:30:04

I am looking forward to this. Is it really obvious what it is ? I am in the south and close (ish) to an airport, so lots of stuff going on in the skies around us.
Are the lights constantly going then ?

cheapandcheerful Wed 24-Dec-14 14:39:47

I think it says 30 or 35 degrees. We'll look south then and wish the clouds away!

tortoisesarefab Wed 24-Dec-14 14:42:15

It will look like a bright, white light. Planes will have flashing lights so you will be able to tell. I have seen it before thought it was a very slow moving shooting star at first!

ILoveGreekCats Wed 24-Dec-14 14:42:53

The most obvious thing is that it doesn't flash ,it's a constant light which gradually fades as it gets further away from the sun. It doesn't have it's own light source, it reflects the sun's light. When you've seen it once you'll spot it easier next time. I've got an app called ISS tracker. I'll look for it too but in my area it's going to be very low in the sky so it could be behind the hill!

MelanieCheeks Wed 24-Dec-14 14:46:16

Look south westish, about 30 degrees high (ie less than half way up)

It'll look like a very fast moving plane. If you have good clear skies and keen eyesight you can persuade yourself that it's a sort of oblong shape.

TongueBiter Wed 24-Dec-14 14:54:33

The Night Sky app also shows its position.

LexLoofah Wed 24-Dec-14 15:14:48

You can't mistake it for anything else, should be obvious.

Does not speed like a shooting star, more like a gentle arc traced across the night sky so you have plenty of time to spot it, watch it then tick it off your to do list.

We have seen it several times and can make out the shape clearly i.e. a rectangle with flat wings either side but then we don't have a lot of light pollution so easier for us.

ILoveGreekCats Wed 24-Dec-14 15:57:07

It just passed over (southern Europe). It's already dark here. On second thoughts it could have been Santa!

cheapandcheerful Wed 24-Dec-14 19:59:03

We saw it! It was brilliant! 4yo dd and her little friend chased it all the way along the seafront until it disappeared smile

AwfulBeryl Wed 24-Dec-14 20:03:03

That was brilliant, it was so clear.
Dts have proudly told people we have seen the Astronautal space station fgrin
Does anyone know where I can find out when we can see it again ?

ILoveGreekCats Wed 24-Dec-14 20:07:48

If you get the ISS Detector app for android it tells you all the times you can see it. Sometimes you can see it twice in the same night! It can be quite addictive!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now