Talk

Advanced search

I do not have stem ginger, I have crystallised ginger - are they the same?

(7 Posts)
Franke Wed 24-Dec-14 12:03:13

Stem ginger - lumps of cooked ginger in a jar of sugar syrup.

Crystallised ginger - lumps of cooked ginger rolled in sugar.

I can use crystallised instead of stem can't I? Or am I missing something?

mumonashoestring Wed 24-Dec-14 12:06:19

As long as you're sure the recipe doesn't mean raw ginger root then you should be able to, although if it's going in a cake or similar the crystallised ginger might be tougher and grittier. Maybe soak it in some hot water for a few minutes?

FishWithABicycle Wed 24-Dec-14 12:07:58

I would say stem ginger is fresh ginger from a vegetable shop, no sugar involved. Am I wrong?

If it's going in a sweet recipe it should be fine. I wouldn't use crystallised in a curry though!

Franke Wed 24-Dec-14 12:20:49

Thanks for the replies. It's Mary Berry's white chocolate and ginger cheesecake. Fishwithabicycle - it's also called preserved ginger, but definitely a sweet incarnation of some sort. Mumonashoestring, I'll try soaking it first - good idea smile

Franke Wed 24-Dec-14 12:24:31

Here.

DamselNotInHerDress Wed 24-Dec-14 12:25:26

I've had exactly this problem in the past, not a MB cheesecake but another.
I chopped the ginger up really finely and it was alright. You did get the occasionally gritty clump but it all got eaten!

Franke Wed 24-Dec-14 12:31:27

Good to know Damsel. As it's a cooked cheesecake I'm hoping that a combination of soaking first and then baking will minimise any grit grin. Maybe I'll grate it instead of chop it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now