Talk

Advanced search

How much royal icing to cover a 6 inch cake?

(4 Posts)
CinderToffee Tue 23-Dec-14 19:30:56

I've got a box of Royal Icing Sugar (the kind with the dried egg white in it) - the recipe on the back suggests 4tbsp water and 500g sugar to make enough to cover an 8 inch cake. Does anyone have any idea how to scale this back for a 6 inch cake? It seems a waste to make far too much and bin it, especially as I suspect they are massively overestimating how much is needed. Would half the amount be enough?

mysteryfairy Tue 23-Dec-14 19:36:33

I would make the lot and have lovely thick icing (my favourite bit of the cake). I do only use royal icing sugar once a year to ice Christmas cakes and wouldn't use the dregs of a box that had been open for 12 months so there wouldn't be any point saving any.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Tue 23-Dec-14 19:40:20

I made a 9" square cake and cut it roughly in half to give a plain piece to have with Wendsleydale.

The remaining piece (about 9"x5") I used a 2 egg white and 1lb of icing sugar which covered it in a nice thick layer (but I'd made some marzipan that was a bit uneven blush )

Why not do half , do a thin layer and see how you go, then if you need more you can make a secind batch. It'll be smoother and dry quicker to do two layers.

addictedtosugar Tue 23-Dec-14 20:08:18

If the cake is aprox 3" deep, I get that the surface area of the side and top of the smaller cake is 27(PI), and the larger cake 40(PI). So I'd do 3/4 of the amount.
Can someone check my maths? Kim? Zing??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now