Talk

Advanced search

How soon can I cook veg?

(18 Posts)
FaithLoveandGrace Tue 23-Dec-14 17:48:53

DP and I are spending Christmas with my parents. We've offered to do the roast veg - so carrots and parsnips. We'd do more but dad greatly enjoys cooking and won't let us. I'm wondering how soon I can do it. Tomorrow afternoon we're going to my parents so it has to be before then. I'm wondering if I cook them tonight, will they still be okay on Thursday? The ovens on for dinner so I thought it'd be good to make use of it instead of putting it on again tomorrow. Probably a bad idea though isn't it?

ditzzy Tue 23-Dec-14 17:58:32

You could do them now and chuck them in the freezer overnight? I frequently roast too many veg to keep some in the freezer for use in quick week-day meals, and they come out fine fsmile

FaithLoveandGrace Tue 23-Dec-14 18:02:08

Good idea ditzzy. Only thing is, I suspect they may defrost a little getting to my parents tomorrow. Do you think that'd be an issue?

Can you tell I'm not used to preparing things in advance. I normally just cook on the day at home.

Lifesalemon Tue 23-Dec-14 18:04:09

I would do as ditzzy suggested and take them out of the freezer last minute tomorrow and put them straight in the fridge as soon as you get there. DON'T FORGET THEM! fgrin

SanityClause Tue 23-Dec-14 18:04:19

Have you not had your sprouts on since October? They'll be underdone.....

<shakes head in wonder>

(Sorry, not helpful.)

ditzzy Tue 23-Dec-14 18:04:58

If you stick them in a cool bag or something (or just not keep anywhere too hot) and let them defrost again slowly and then just put in fridge when you get there, and they'll hopefully be fine to use on thursday. Freezing for short length of time should just buy you the extra day of keeping them fresh enough!

Just don't overcook them the first time round or they might just turn to mush...

ditzzy Tue 23-Dec-14 18:06:32

Oops that was slow typing, where did everyone else come from.... fblush agree with lifesalemon

FaithLoveandGrace Tue 23-Dec-14 18:32:57

Thanks smile will put them on the freezer and take them out tomorrow afternoon then. I'm glad I started tonight actually, looks like it'll take two lots as cooking for 12.

ditzzy Tue 23-Dec-14 18:42:47

Good luck!

AngieBolen Tue 23-Dec-14 18:49:26

But surely you will just par boil today, add fat, then bung in the oven to roast on Christmas day.

Or am I doing it wrong?

FaithLoveandGrace Tue 23-Dec-14 19:07:14

angie I would do except dad's oven will be jam packed on Christmas Day so I said I'd make them in advance at ours smile

AngieBolen Tue 23-Dec-14 19:12:21

Oh, so how will you heat them up? In the microwave?

FaithLoveandGrace Tue 23-Dec-14 19:18:40

That's the plan smile if I put them in the fridge when we get there tomorrow afternoon, they should have defrosted for when we need them. Then we can reheat them in the microwave.

MrsCampbellBlack Tue 23-Dec-14 19:20:26

Won't microwaved roast veg be a bit soggy?

FaithLoveandGrace Tue 23-Dec-14 19:30:44

mrscampbell I've done it before and it always comes out fine. Though that's leftovers reheated rather than the entire thing reheated. My nan used to make lunch and then reheat everyone's dish as it'd gone cold by the time she'd dished it all up. Always tasted good to me smile

DamselNotInHerDress Tue 23-Dec-14 19:33:07

I don't understand what you mean! Are you doing roasted parsnips and carrots? Together?

FaithLoveandGrace Tue 23-Dec-14 19:40:49

damsel I'm roasting the carrots and parsnips this evening - our oven is the worst and takes about 90 minutes from start to finish - freezing them as others have suggested overnight, then defrosting and reheating in microwave on Thursday. Tbh I don't have time tomorrow and glad I'm doing them tonight. I haven't done roast veg for a while and forgot how ridiculously slow our oven is!

The carrots and parsnips are in separate roasting dishes but I can't see the issue with cooking them in the same one. When it's just DP, DSS and I we cook potatoes carrots and parsnips all in the same one.

AngieBolen Tue 23-Dec-14 19:56:39

But there is no need to freeze them. They will last for more than two days in the fridge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now