Talk

Advanced search

How much sherry in your trifle?

(11 Posts)
Tzibeleh Tue 23-Dec-14 12:36:03

I've just realised that I've poured a third of a bottle of sherry over the sponge base of my 7" trifle.

Have I overdone it?

(Or should I add more? grin)

Unexpected Tue 23-Dec-14 20:01:28

You've overdone it! :-)

BumgrapesofWrath Tue 23-Dec-14 20:55:28

Haha you've added a bit more than me, but it will be tasty! (I've added about 1/6th of a bottle and am sure I've put too much in!)

Tzibeleh Tue 23-Dec-14 21:46:51

The kids will sleep well on Christmas night wink

YoullLikeItNotaLot Tue 23-Dec-14 21:52:55

Last time I made sherry trifle I doused the sponge. Then I soaked the strawberries. Then I added some sherry to the jelly mix as I wasn't sure I could taste the sherry in the strawberries. Was shocked when I realised over half the bottle had gone.

I felt pissed after eating it.

Two days later I realised I was pregnant blush

It was bloody lovely though.

YoullLikeItNotaLot Tue 23-Dec-14 21:54:03

It was a HUGE trifle I should add but I'm a greedy pig with trifle and could set a vat full.

cozietoesie Tue 23-Dec-14 22:10:46

Three glugs is the maximum here. And I always follow the maxim set down by my father (the trifle maestro in the family) that you have to use indifferent cooking sherry - no crisp finos or anything like that.

burnishedsilver Tue 23-Dec-14 23:19:53

I think the question is how much trifle is in your sherry ;-)

Tzibeleh Wed 24-Dec-14 09:52:40

Did the jelly set, YoullLikeIt?

YoullLikeItNotaLot Wed 24-Dec-14 16:52:01

Yes. It was lovely. I'm not one for Christmas puddings, mince pies etc but by god I can plough through sherry trifle grin

Tzibeleh Thu 25-Dec-14 18:14:43

I can confirm that the jelly does indeed set with sherry added. And is awesomely good gringringrin

I think I have discovered a new way to make sherry trifle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now