Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Things you do in the name of Christmas magic

(21 Posts)
TarnishdWithAshAndSootgremlin Tue 23-Dec-14 11:22:15

My ds woke crying the other night having had a bad dream that his favourite toy rabbit didn't getting any presents for Christmas. He'd been ill and I thought nothing of it.

Then yesterday he asked again if Father Christmas brought presents for toys, and looked troubled. Later on "I wish X had his own stocking, FC won't know about him will he?".

So I was up until midnight last night bastardising an elf hat we got free with a comic into a stocking fit for a rabbit. I even sewed the rabbit's initial on it. I am not crafty particularly and only sporadically indulge on a random occasions like this when under pressure. Said rabbit will now be taking delivery of chocolate coins, bubbles and a matchbox car. DH looked on in amused bewilderment.

What odd things have you found yourself doing this week? grin

DaisyFlowerChain Tue 23-Dec-14 12:43:41

That's so cute.

Not this week but in a past christmas DS went through a stage of loving helium balloons so Christmas Eve we sat with a gas canister and filled up enough to fill the room. It was very magical and he absolutely loved it.

BicycleGasoline Tue 23-Dec-14 13:16:39

That is very cute. Just hope dd doesn't get wind of this though. She has a whole army of toy bunnies!

TarnishdWithAshAndSootgremlin Tue 23-Dec-14 13:33:42

Yes I should've opened it up to more than just this week, it just struck me that whenever I think I'm done, another thing arises to be squeezed in at the last minute!

Brilliant idea with the balloons - that sounds amazing. You forget how enchanting small people find them. Might tuck that in my back pocket for another year.

I know bicycle, it is his particular companion so think I'm safe, but still I'm prepared for a "how come teddies A B and C and Lego man construction worker 2 didn't get anything?" come the morning grin

GothicRainbow Tue 23-Dec-14 13:43:01

I think that is such a lovely thing to do and has actually left me abit teary eyed! My 19 month old DS adores his bunny so I think this might be something we do in years to come.

This will be our first year leaving mince pies and carrots out for Father Christmas and his reindeer!!

TarnishdWithAshAndSootgremlin Tue 23-Dec-14 15:54:29

Oh gothic, we first did it with my ds at 20 months, more for us but he really enjoyed it, this year he is just over 3 and a half and he is talking about it and looking forward to doing it this year.

It has become a tradition already that we make mince pies on Christmas Eve and then save one for Father Christmas.

It is lovely having him start to lead it but has also gone so quickly.

GoldfishSpy Tue 23-Dec-14 15:59:50

We will be out in the field behind our house shaking jingling bells at about 10pm tomorrow night.

missmakesstuff Tue 23-Dec-14 16:05:07

We are planning to put up DDs New mid sleeper bed on Xmas eve whilst she sleeps in our bed, then move her into upvto wake up on Xmas day. Madness! We will be up half the bleeding night...

TarnishdWithAshAndSootgremlin Tue 23-Dec-14 16:35:27

Those made me laugh! I started contemplating the bells idea but mine are too little really so would be completely unaware. Not to mention the fact their bedroom faces onto the street.

missmakestuff that is delightfully bonkers - what a fantastic surprise for your dd. She will always remember the time she woke up in a different bed on Christmas Day, so I would say it will be worth it smile

fluffling Tue 23-Dec-14 18:21:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

youbethemummylion Tue 23-Dec-14 18:27:20

We have an Xbox for the kids to share this Christmas Just before bed I shall be plugging it all in so its good to go Christmas morning then making footprints from the fire (even though its an electric fire so no chimney!) to the tv cabinet using DHs work boots and icing sugar for snow. I will then have to keep both Ddog and Dcat in our room overnight so they don't lick them up.

Hairylegs47 Tue 23-Dec-14 18:33:51

Santa always stops off here on his way elsewhere before dropping off the 'big' presents. And he leaves an extra gift for everyone on their beds. We all have to open them and they are always pyjamas.

Been doing this for 15 years now. Can't bring myself to stop! Even DD was ribbing me about it today - she's the 'baby' and will be 17 next month.

ExcuseMeButtingIn Tue 23-Dec-14 18:38:03

My dds bear always gets a present because of a very similar scenario when she was about 2 - her bear also gets her a present as well - this year he's got her a bear necklace, last year he got her a framed photo of himself. They always magically appear badly wrapped under the tree Xmas eve with her name written in a scruffy manner (like a bear would do)

youbethemummylion Tue 23-Dec-14 18:38:06

Ooh we do that HairyLegs Santa drops them off while the kids are in the bath before bed on Christmas Eve. Its also a handy clue as he wraps them in the same paper as he uses for your presents. Santa is too lazy busy to label pressies so he has a different paper for each child in the house.

HarrietSchulenberg Tue 23-Dec-14 18:40:00

Mine are 14, 12 and 7 and for the past 11 years Father Christmas has delivered hand drawn and painted letters to them on Christmas Eve. I thought they'd be too big for them this year but ds2 mentioned them yesterday so I was up till 4 fucking am this morning creating them.

It's lovely that they still want them but they take ages to draw, ink, dry, scan to PC and have printed text of personal, chatty letters inserted. Then they have to be spirited to my parents for my dad Father Christmas to sign them.

Still, it keeps the Christmas magic going.

ClimbingFramePlanningEnquiry Tue 23-Dec-14 18:43:17

We have stockings for dd1's bear and dd2's giraffe. Can't remember why I started, but doubtless it was similar lip-wobbling worries froma toddler.

We got the stockings out earlier, in readiness, and dd2 (rising 8, and not a believer in FC anymore, although she does a good pretence grin) helpfully mentioned I need to find a stocking for ds' elephant. Ds is 2, and has no clue his elephant is thus deprived. I am still wavering as to whether I should spend the evening crafting so thing or not.

WipsGlitter Tue 23-Dec-14 18:47:11

I've made a tiny scroll with a note on it from Santa and it's hidden behind the last advent door to be opened tomorrow.

attheendoftheday Tue 23-Dec-14 22:15:48

I have individually named 8 tiny stockings for our 2 rats, 3 ducks, 2 rabbits and dog, and sourced present for the above both from fc and from the family. Dd1 insisted Santa wouldn't leave the animals out.

Innocentbystander01 Tue 23-Dec-14 22:21:10

Tie a small bell to the dogs collar when the dc are in bed. They get all excited when the dog is walking around the house jingling and they can't work out where it's coming from grin.

TarnishdWithAshAndSootgremlin Tue 23-Dec-14 22:49:03

These are great, I love reading everyone's crazy ideas.

harrietschulenberg those letters sound wonderful, how lovely for them to have a personal record of all their Christmases and to be able to illustrate them yourself too.

It makes me think of Tolkien's Letters from Father Christmas. I always loved the idea of it, but your post has made me realise what a long term commitment it is. It's ok if you're Tolkien and have elves coming out of your ears I suppose.

excusemebuttingin love the bear and his scruffy handwriting!

youbethemummylion footprints grin

climbingframeplanningenquiry let us know what you decide, though think you have another year if you need it

attheendoftheday I used to get my dog a stocking. What do you buy a duck? confused Admire your dedication.

We're doing pyjamas this year as they need them, it may well become a tradition.

TarnishdWithAshAndSootgremlin Tue 23-Dec-14 22:50:36

Good tip, if you don't have a dog would a willing DH work just as well do you think?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now