Talk

Advanced search

Jamie Oliver's Make Ahead Gravy

(13 Posts)
Notreallyawaitress Mon 22-Dec-14 21:37:01

Has anyone made this and how much did it make? Just done it now and ended up with less than a litre. I know I add the turkey juices on the day but am a bit disappointed it has made such a small quantity! Not sure how much I can thin it down?

TipseyTorvey Mon 22-Dec-14 22:46:49

I've made it for the past few years, agree it doesn't make loads but maybe try adding in a bit more sherry/port and hot water then flour to thicken?

Cooki3Monst3r Mon 22-Dec-14 22:55:10

Hi notreally. I've not see this recipe but make my own gravy quite regularly. It's difficult to get large quantities of real gravy unless you've got a huge joint. (I'm come from a family where a gallon of bisto is compulsory!).

So you've got your yummy, flavoursome gravy. If you haven't got enough what you need to do is basically make some more on the day, using what you've already got for flavour.

What I'd suggest is using your turkey juices to make a roux, then add your Jamie gravy and thin down as required with your vegetable water, or buy some fresh chicken stock to add to it. If you want loads of gravy, just make a lot of roux.

I can't give quantities, I do it by sight and it doesn't always work.

Try delia's website.

Does that make sense? Are you used to making your own gravy?

Notreallyawaitress Mon 22-Dec-14 23:31:16

Thanks for the replies! The taste of it is pretty intense so I think that it will work quite well as a flavour boost. I'll make gravy from the turkey juices as normal and add it in. I usually make a stock from the giblets anyway but was trying to avoid dealing with the turkey innards on Xmas morning! (fsmile)

Cooki3Monst3r Tue 23-Dec-14 00:26:42

Nothing like home-made gravy. Yum!!! fsmile

Cooki3Monst3r Tue 23-Dec-14 00:27:28

Have you got the turkey now? You could make the giblet stock tomorrow and freeze.

Notreallyawaitress Tue 23-Dec-14 07:45:59

Not picking the turkey up till tomorrow Cooki3. I'm sure it will turn out fine fsmile

Purplecircle Tue 23-Dec-14 07:48:07

Butcher told me to rest the turkey on carrots, onions and celery and add a couple of glasses of white wine and some herbs, to start my gravy off. You could do this and add to your Jamie gravy

NotMrsTumble Tue 23-Dec-14 07:51:42

Did mine last weekend and think it made around 900ml. First time of trying the recipe, but since I don't really like gravy, I always forget about it until I've dished everything else up. Hopefully I can remember to take this out of the freezer...

InanimateCarbonRod Tue 23-Dec-14 07:56:56

I do the initial batch. Then I refill the dish with more water and boil it for 20 minutes or so. I got about 900ml. Then I put it into a pot with a good generous glug of wine.

Apricota Tue 23-Dec-14 08:19:50

I was planning to make this today....is it worth it. OR should I just make a rally good stock?

Cooki3Monst3r Tue 23-Dec-14 09:39:28

Me and DH are having beef bourguignon for xmas which I made last night. No stock, just 900ml of pinot noir. Now that's going to be a yummy gravy!!!!!

Apricota Tue 23-Dec-14 12:43:10

Cookie Monster sounds good to me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now