Talk

Advanced search

Slow cooking a pre-bought xmas pud!

(8 Posts)
PinkParsnips Mon 22-Dec-14 12:34:01

I have read something recently about slow cooking a christmas pudding (possibly on here but can't find it now) which had never crossed my mind before but sounds great!

Please can someone tell me if I can do this with a pre-bought one in a plastic container or will it melt?! everything online seems to relate to homemade ones.

If I can do it please can someone explain exactly how, and for how many hours?

Thanks smile

JosephWasAChippyMinton Mon 22-Dec-14 13:17:44

Might've been me.

I usually have a home-made pud in a pyrex bowl, but if the pudding is designed to be steamed, it should be fine in the slow cooker. Does it have a lid? I might put an extra layer of foil over the lead to make sure it is sealed.

I just put mine on an upturned saucer (if there's room) in the slow cooker in the morning, pour boiling water around it and leave it on until needed. Probably for about 4 hours or so.

PinkParsnips Mon 22-Dec-14 13:54:59

That's great thanks!

Yes it has a lid but I'll do that with the foil.

Re the boiling water, am I putting enough in to come up the side of the pudding or just to cover the base of the slow cooker?

Imnotaslimjim Mon 22-Dec-14 14:37:30

You need the water to be about halfway up the pudding. Watch to make sure it doesn't go over the top.

PinkParsnips Mon 22-Dec-14 15:04:06

Brilliant thank you both, my electric steamer has gone kaput this morning so i will definitely be doing this now!

Purplehonesty Mon 22-Dec-14 16:16:16

Take it out of the plastic container....

JosephWasAChippyMinton Mon 22-Dec-14 19:20:00

Sorry, yes, should've specified, about halfway up the pud should do it. Shouldn't need topping up if the slow cooker lid creates a seal, but worth checking occasionally.

Mine is all re-wrapped and ready to go - I made two last year, so this one is nicely matured fsmile

PinkParsnips Tue 23-Dec-14 12:33:52

That sounds lovely Joseph, i bet a homemade one will be delicious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now