Talk

Advanced search

everyone share what your doing Christmas eve

(66 Posts)
lemonbonbon35 Mon 22-Dec-14 10:18:35

I have put lots of things on about Christmas eve but would like to get as many replies as I can on this one as I know a lot of people have been putting on threads about xmas eve. please share everything from once you get up until night. Thanks.

NowBringUsSomeFuzzpiggyPudding Mon 22-Dec-14 10:33:12

DH will be leaving at 7am for work angry

My dad will be collecting me and the DCs in the morning and taking us to mum's flat in my hometown (only an hour away so not too bad) and while we pack the car I'll be panicking about not letting the DCs glimpse any presents (some can't be wrapped).

We will just be messing about at mum's, no real plans. Other than trying to stop the DCs being too noisy.

At 5.30 I'll start getting stressed worrying about DH being able to get to mum's after work, hoping trains are on time etc. Dad will pick him up from the station.

At some point - desperately hoping DH can be there by this time - the elves will deliver onesies and a tree decoration outside the door, and a couple of things to do before bed (puzzle/DVD/book but not sure we will manage it all).

We will attempt to get the DCs to sleep which will be difficult as they aren't used to mum's flat yet.

Then we will retreat to the living room, most likely with dad's choice of boring TV, and build the playmobil pyramid which Santa is delivering. Actually really looking forward to that, I love building toys!

Lj8893 Mon 22-Dec-14 10:38:15

Just a usual day for us.

dp will be working 8am-5pm as usual, whilst i panic wrap the last few presents up and have a final tidy up in the house.

ill then go off to work at 6pm - 10pm whilst dp does dds bedtime and once she is asleep he will build her trike ready to go under the Xmas tree!

shelley1977 Mon 22-Dec-14 10:45:24

Usually its been just my children and I, we prepare veg for Christmas day,make the stuffing and cook the traditional Christmas ham for dinner. Also bake Christmas biscuits that the children then decorate then we sit and relax watching Christmas films. This year is first with partner and he will likely be in work till at least lunchtime so will still get food prep done then but not sure how we will spend rest of day, something relaxing though as both of us have health issues and very much needing to rest.

bridgetsmummy Mon 22-Dec-14 10:46:35

It will be dh's first day off. We'll have a pretty relaxed day. At some point we'll take the 3kids and 2 dogs to the woods for a long walk,
We have mass at 6pm. My eldest dd sings in the choir so we have to be in church for 5.30. After mass it's home, into jimjams, then hot chocolate and our Christmas Eve smorgasbord! (Tesco party food!!)
Before bed we'll put out a few bits for Santy and the reindeer then get kids to bed.
Then myself and DH will have a wee glass or 2 of something sparkling and get the Santy presents ready.
I love Christmas Eve

BrieAndChilli Mon 22-Dec-14 10:46:55

I'm getting up at 5am to be at sainsburys for opening at6am to do Xmas food shop.
Home and put food away, quick tidy of house. Bake Xmas cupcakes
Guests arriving around lunchtime so will provide lunch as and when they arrive.
All the kids are decorating gingerbread houses in afternoon and will probably watch a Xmas film.
Takeaway pizza for tea followed by bath and elves arriving with pjs and treats.
Over the top hot choc with Xmas shaped marshmallows and candy canes (and added baileys for the grown ups ) put out stuff for Santa, track him on NORAD and kids to bed.
Chill time for grown ups then putting all presents under tree then bed.

marne2 Mon 22-Dec-14 10:48:24

Relaxing day, watching TV, eating junk followed by pizza for dinner.

Dh wants to go shopping but I would rather stay at home in my pj's.

BiscuitsAreMyDownfall Mon 22-Dec-14 10:51:57

Get up at some point (usually around 7ish depending on DCs) have a shower and putting on some clean PJs and a clean onesie (Ive not gone out and bought any specially for the 24th)

Sit around watching festive and family films. We are spending the morning watching The Snowman, The Snowman and The Snowdog and Father Christmas. We are watching The Lego Movie in the afternoon as it is on Sky.

We will be nibbling on bits all day such as Sausage Rolls, Pizza, Popcorn, Chocolates among others.

Its DD1's birthday tea as its her birthday on Christmas day so we are having her choice of tea Ribs and Fries followed by her birthday cake. We will let her open a small birthday present.

The DCs will go to bed at some point (not sure when, will probably let DS stay up till we go) then me and DH are watching Love Actually as we have not seen it for a couple of years.

Get out the presents from Santa, lock the cat out of the front room so he can't ruin them (his food and water is in the kitchen) then go to bed.

Looking forward to it as it will be better than Christmas day for me. Lots of films, food and hot chocolate. mmmmmmmm bliss.

Esmum07 Mon 22-Dec-14 10:53:47

Off to my mum's to get her ready for my DSis to pick her up at lunch time. I do her medication and, as she has Alzheimer's, I have volunteered to pack her meds for the few days she is at sister's. She's on every blooming med you can think of (or so it seems) and she is bound to forget something vital!

Then home for a few hours. DS has the job of putting up the stockings this year so I will help him with that if he needs me. He is seven and decorated the tree on his own this year (dad did the lights!) So he is really excited about doing the stockjngs.

Then we are all off to the church for the crib service. Back early evening. We make reindeer food to 'guide' them in on Christmas eve. Just porridge oats and edible glitter or sparkly sugar then sprinkled in the garden.

Fish and chips take away for tea. Then we have booked a portable north pole phone call from Santa and will press the button on that for the phone to ring about 5pm I guess.

Then bath and into a new onesie for DS and we will snuggle up, me DH and DS to watch something on DVD. Then a mince pie, glass of milk for Santa and a carrot for the reindeer, bed for DS and a frantic run about putting gifts in stockings and under the tree. Then a glass of wine, eat Santa's mince pie, munch a bit of carrot then TV and bed!

spinduchess Mon 22-Dec-14 10:56:20

I'm going to the pub. No DC, staying at my parents this Christmas without DH as he is working in China.

Upset me quite a bit when I realised he'd be gone for 3 weeks over Xmas and New Year, but I'm using it as an opportunity to catch up with old friends. The pub will be full of people from school I haven't seen since 16 smile

velourvoyageur Mon 22-Dec-14 12:52:01

My parents and I open presents & get drunk on champagne on Xmas eve (though I have suggested we space out the drinking a little because there are different tolerance levels involved....so sensible right? won't happen tho). Usually end up watching an episode of something before staggering shuffling off to bed.

KenDoddsDadsDog Mon 22-Dec-14 12:54:55

Going to the local farm to see Santa.
Then mass and some nice food afterwards.

SteveBrucesNose Mon 22-Dec-14 12:56:16

I'll be on a 14.5 hour flight. Alone. And hoping DH has done everything that needs doing!

And probably MNing all the way home

HollyJollyXmas Mon 22-Dec-14 12:59:27

No big plans, really.

We'll probably go for a walk in the local park to burn off some of the kids energy.

I'm making them hotdogs for dinner and we are going to watch the original 'Annie' at home and have popcorn (they just saw the new Annie and are now Annie obsessed!).

Going to try to get them in bed early-ish so DH and I can have some bubbly and shag snuggle on the sofa grin

Medge68 Mon 22-Dec-14 13:05:49

OH and I are both working. Will finish at 3, come home, faff about for a bit! Will go to carol service at 6, DS is doing a reading. Then round a friends for buffet and couple of drinks. Home about 9ish, couple more drinks and some rubbish on tv until it's time to sort presents and then bed!

SantasFavouriteHo Mon 22-Dec-14 13:24:34

Going to my sil and bil (dps sister and her husband) for lunch, DS1 and DS2 with play with dneice and dnephew for a bit and we'll all swap/open presents.
Then home and watch a christmas film, then light dinner, then distract kids whilst santa/elves will deliver a "surprise" early parcel of a new pjs for everyone, a book each (jolly christmas postman and thats not my santa) and a christmas lush bath bomb for them so into the bath to use that and into nice new pjs, put stockings out and treats for santa/reindeer, story and sleep.
Then put prestns out (including constructing a ballapalooza!) drink mulled wine and watch a film/comedy dvd ourselves before trying to cram at least a few hours kip in before madness ensues!

Oceanpurple Mon 22-Dec-14 13:31:29

Nothing. My life is incredibly boring. smile

skyeskyeskye Mon 22-Dec-14 13:41:58

I will go and see my Gran in the morning, then in the afternoon I am having a pub meal with some friends, around 20 of us including DC.

We will have some wine, then we will go and sing carols round the tree in the square, then have some more wine. Then my mum will pick us up to go to their house for Christmas, once there I will put DD to bed, read her The Night Before Christmas as I have done every year since she was a baby, then I will go downstairs and wrap her presents and sort out the stocking etc .

This is what I usually do on Christmas Eve every year.

BettieLeeloo Mon 22-Dec-14 13:54:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

doublechocchip Mon 22-Dec-14 14:04:43

Dh will be in work till 5, I'll spend morning tidying/ watching Christmas films with the dc's.

Out to a local garden centre for lunch with various members of my family.
Come home to chill/ nap on front of another Christmas film.

Crib service at 4 then home for the Xmas eve tradition of bath, elf going home leaving the Xmas eve hamper, supper, story, bed for the dc's.

Then we host a Xmas eve games night every year for a few friends and family so will mad dash round getting the buffet sorted and games set up for that. People generally leave around 11ish, we clear up, presents out and collapse in bed about midnight, can't wait grin

BeHoHoHove Mon 22-Dec-14 14:06:21

Waiting in for my suite to be delivered!
Wish me luck

Jackie0 Mon 22-Dec-14 14:12:20

Working to 6ish.
I'm not sure when to do my grocery shop yet. I want it fresh as possible but don't fancy a 6am pre work shop.
Anyway working to 6ish, make the house nice, set the table and early night.

TantrumsAndBalloons Mon 22-Dec-14 14:13:28

I'm at work until 1pm. Then I will pop into town and buy stuff I don't need just because it's christmas.

Dh will be at home with the Dcs. Except dd who is working 8-6.

candybar Mon 22-Dec-14 14:21:06

We all finished work/school on Friday and won't return until 5th Jan - it's a long time to spend with dh home grin

Christmas eve dd1 and I will make a trip to our local supermarket for last minute treats in the morning, lots of baking in the afternoon, dh will be cleaning and tidying and then we will all head off to our church for the Christingle service at 3:30, home by 5:30 and ordering a take away for dinner.

Kids will be sent to bed at around 8pm, although they won't sleep until much, much later. I'll go to Midnight mass and when I arrive home dh and I will fill the stockings and pile up all the gifts from Santa.

Dionysuss Mon 22-Dec-14 14:23:56

DH is at work until 11:30.
DC and I are going to make gingerbread men and mince pies in the morning. After lunch we are going to watch a panto. DC have pillow cases to paint and decorate to leave out for Santa to fill. Dinner is chip shop takeaway. Ill prep veg for the next day and do any final tidying. DH and I usually watch a film with a few drinks and put presents out under the tree before we go to bed. We get the pillow cases out of the kids rooms and fill them in ours. I sneak in early morning to put them back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now