Talk

Advanced search

I'm going to make a ginger bread house tomorrow

(16 Posts)
MrsPiddlewink Sun 21-Dec-14 19:23:03

For the first time.

Any tips/recipes?

WhispersOfWickedness Sun 21-Dec-14 19:34:40

Are you doing it with younger DCs? If you are, involve them only in the decorating part once you have built the house and the icing has dried!! Nothing worse than trying to commit a feat of gingerbread engineering with small children poking it and asking if it is dry yet every 30 seconds grin

WerewolfBarMitzvah Sun 21-Dec-14 19:39:34

Flaked almonds make pretty roof tiles.

MrsPiddlewink Sun 21-Dec-14 19:40:52

Thanks Werewolf - great idea!

I am whispers - and that is fab idea. I'm child free in the AM so will construct then!

FiveHoursSleep Sun 21-Dec-14 19:41:23

I'm going to try this on Tuesday. Last time we tried , I had getting the house to stay together. Has anyone got any tips about this aspect?

LuckySaint Sun 21-Dec-14 19:44:45

Cocktail sticks, cut them up and poke into the wall edges to hold the sides together while the icing dries. Also for holding the roof in place.

MrsPiddlewink Sun 21-Dec-14 19:46:22

Thanks Lucky. I'm feeling more and more confident smile

Any fool proof gingerbread recipes? I'm a crap cook

yomellamoHelly Sun 21-Dec-14 19:57:54

Cool - made two today! (Then a party to decorate them.)

Let the houses "set" on a flat surface after they've been in the oven. (Trouble in previous years from warped pieces.)

If it breaks don't panic, you can ice it back together.

Make sure the icing is quite thick (egg white in mix helps with this.)

Use what ever tins you have in the cupboard to support it while you build it - first walls and then to stop the roof pieces sliding off.

Get some cardboard and cover it with tin foil for a base. Make the base bigger than you think you need. (The children here like to make gardens too to go with the houses.)

Probably a bit late for you, but we save the trick or treating sweets for an eclectic mix of stuff to use to decorate them.

yomellamoHelly Sun 21-Dec-14 19:58:43

We use lakeland recipe (on pdf download from their mould page)

FiveHoursSleep Sun 21-Dec-14 20:01:47

Sorry to hijack Mrs P's thread but what's the best icing to use to stick together?

TheHappyCamper Sun 21-Dec-14 20:11:37

I use this one, although don't do all the fancy bits such as the chimney!

My tip would be to bake it slightly longer than you would normally, as if it is soft it is more likely to buckle.

I set mine upside down by making a triangle holder out of books held up with tins of beans.

For icing I just use icing sugar and egg white - make it really thick.

shelfontheelf Sun 21-Dec-14 20:13:24

Don't let the children near it...they'll eat itgrin

mmmuffins Sun 21-Dec-14 20:29:56

I used the same recipe as TheHappyCamper and it came out really well.

erin99 Sun 21-Dec-14 20:36:18

I use caramel to stick it together. Sounds scarier than icing but sets quickly and very securely. Makes the whole assembly much quicker. Then DC just help with the icing.

If the pieces grow in the oven, you can trim them back to straight edges as soon as they come out of the oven.

Smashed boiled sweets make beautiful stained glass windows. I think you just put the sweets in for the last 5 mins or so but can't quite remember. But boiled sweets are surprisingly difficult to smash!

Prizepudding Sun 21-Dec-14 22:10:20

I made a biscuit house last year which worked out well, the icing did it's job well.

www.goodhousekeeping.co.uk/food/recipes/snowy-biscuit-lodge

newrecruit Sun 21-Dec-14 22:16:16

Put the house together and let it dry properly before you attempt to stick the roof on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now