Talk

Advanced search

how do you organise gifts on xmas day?

(37 Posts)
bozo14 Sun 21-Dec-14 17:48:11

Do you put each persons in a pile or take them randomly from under the tree and pass them out or something different?

addictedtosugar Sun 21-Dec-14 17:55:21

Randomly under the tree, however if we are at my parents (ie there are loads of us), my Dad is in charge, and he tries to balance out so everyone finishes at a similar time. The kids get loads more presents than the rest of us (put together!)

DeeCayed Sun 21-Dec-14 17:58:38

Usually in piles on the settees so no one can sit down fconfused but this year I'm keeping them in a pile each in festive sacks on the floor

chanie44 Sun 21-Dec-14 18:03:38

We normally pile them up as they are being opened. In saying that, we don't have a lot of presents for the children under the tree - they have about 15 presents in their stockings and will get gifts from family in Xmas day.

Artandco Sun 21-Dec-14 18:04:25

Stocking presents hang in stockings from banister

Presents scattered under tree. Only a couple each so wouldn't be a pile if seperate

Fantail Sun 21-Dec-14 19:15:18

Stocking (only 1 child) propped up against fire safety rail. Bigger Santa presents next to stocking.

Other presents are under the tree. Smallest child (one able to walk & talk obviously) in charge of distribution with help of adult.

This year DD is getting a little play tent, so Santa MAY decide to set it up and put his presents inside it. Depends how much beer/wine Santa has had earlier in evening.

Nerf Sun 21-Dec-14 19:21:10

We put the presents from other people together. So after lunch the kids take it in turns to hand out all the presents from Aunt Eleanor and everyone opens them at the same time. Then all the presents from Grandmother X etx.

TurnOverTheTv Sun 21-Dec-14 19:21:33

Stockings opened in bed (3 children)
Presents piled up on the floor for each child, mad opening for 10/15 mins ( inlaws hate this grin)
After breakfast under the tree presents (from family, and adults) are opened

Nerf Sun 21-Dec-14 19:21:52

Oh and the dcs (4) do a secret Santa so that features.

slushie Sun 21-Dec-14 19:27:09

All under the tree here. 1 present from Santa is left in their bedroom and they rest are given out, and we all ooh and ahh over what everyone else has got. smile

usualsuspect333 Sun 21-Dec-14 19:31:16

We have our own piles.

GoodQueenWenchAnneLass Sun 21-Dec-14 19:32:45

We have everything under the tree but they appear to somehow have about 15 each (we don't do stockings so this includes things like stocking fillers/socks etc) am contemplating one present on their beds but they haven't really asked for big things this year.

chocolatereindeer Sun 21-Dec-14 19:37:53

Stocking on end of their beds. They are allowed to open those immediately when they wake up at 3am For added sleep time each item is individually wrapped by Santa.

Larger gifts from Santa left in the bedroom, also wrapped. Not allowed to open until us oldies are out of bed. Chaotic opening over in about 5mins before breakfast or tooth brushing etc fgrin love that bit.

Gifts us to each other under the tree. Gifts from others would be there too but I think it looks tacky to have loads on display so they're stashed behind sofa at the mo but to be brought out Christmas morning after getting dressed and eating breakfast. We randomly grab a present from the pile and open but I try to make sure they've all got one on the go fsmile.

amigababy Sun 21-Dec-14 19:39:07

Santa brings dd (age 19!) her morning presents. All the under the tree presents are left till after dinner and dneice arrives, then dd becomes the official hander-outer and has the very stressful job of spacing them out one by one so everyone opens something at a regular interval

Rinkydinkypink Sun 21-Dec-14 19:40:35

We've had piles up to now but because of the age gap of the kids (5years) the size of the baby presents are far bigger than our older child's gifts. Although in value terms out eldest probably had slightly more a DVD/ BLURAY is never going to look equal to the boxes of bath toys, cuddly toys etc.

This year were going to try and simply pile them high so it's just one big pile for the kids.

Ds has always been very careful at present opening. Dd (18 months) is a completely different story! We'll be lucky if she doesn't ransack the pile in seconds grin

Trills Sun 21-Dec-14 19:41:58

Stockings first thing in the morning all together (on parents' bed, if just parents + kids in the house).

Later for tree presents - youngest sits by tree, hands out one present at a time. All watch while present gets opened. Repeat.

2kidsintow Sun 21-Dec-14 19:49:04

The girls have a pillowcase sized (ish) sack full of gifts. THey each take theirs to one of the sofas and get opening. I like watching them so we wait to do all the other gifts til later.

Then we have bacon butties. Then I sit and give out the gifts from under the tree that we have been collecting when people have dropped them round for the day. And they exchange the gifts they have got for each other.

Then we have dinner with my parents and exchange gifts with them after dinner. smile

TheMuppetsSingChristmas Sun 21-Dec-14 19:54:48

Stockings hung on the inside of their bedroom doors - buys us an extra half hour in bed (!), and presents scattered randomly under the tree, with kids acting as 'delivery people' for everyone. We have breakfast first and one present, then quick visit to church if we're with the in laws, or more presents interspersed with snacks & playing with said presents if we're at home. Christmas lunch usually around 1pm ish and presents usually finished by then. Afternoon is spent playing and chatting, perhaps with a short walk if the weather is good.

DaisyFlowerChain Sun 21-Dec-14 20:03:01

Presents under the tree are from family and friends, we pile DS's and ours in spots in the room. We open from others first then the ones from us.

We don't do stockings or have a formal breakfast.

Kundry Sun 21-Dec-14 20:06:04

Stocking from Father Christmas opened as soon as child awake. Mainly small presents plus obligatory orange.

Rest of presents (including all big presents from parents) under the tree. We also did the child as delivery person system - making sure they swap from one person to another and all big or interesting presents are left til last. All gifts unwrapped and properly admired before another can be picked up and delivered.

This worked brilliantly for me as a child and made present opening last longer and be v magical.

Now there is just me and DH - DH collects all presents from under the tree and takes them up to our bedroom. We open all the presents in bed under 2 minutes. Also good but maybe not as magical!

ThePortlyPinUp Sun 21-Dec-14 20:08:49

No stockings but all presents under the tree. Presents from the extended family will also have been delivered by Father Christmas so I was thinking of putting those under the dining room tree to eeek it out until after lunch too. Usually DH hands out a gift to each person and then we all unwrap and see what we have got.

WipsGlitter Sun 21-Dec-14 20:15:51

Kids - stockings on our bed when they wake up. Then into the sitting room for Santa presents and DP and I exchange ours.

My mum gives them hers when she gets here. And same with the kids uncle/aunt/grandpa. I'm maybe going to try and organise it a bit this year as dps family tend to hand them out the minute they get through the door. Last year I was trying to open mine from BIL while carving Turkey. He also brought round ds2s present for me to check the size of today. And then said it didn't need wrapped. I said it did. But I'm going to wrap it. I don't get them. They're a weird family.

lavendersun Sun 21-Dec-14 20:17:59

Piles for everyone here, no waiting, we all open them as soon as everyone is up while drinking coffee/juice and eating sausage rolls/croissants. I usually disappear to look after the animals/walk the dog for an hour at 10 ish before a late afternoon meal - there is no way anyone here would wait for presents until after we eat.

Once we were too old to believe in FC we opened our presents on Christmas Eve and had a lovely dinner at home. I think we will do that here when the time comes.

erin99 Sun 21-Dec-14 20:43:16

Stockings before breakfast.

Tree presents we take turns to hand them out in 'rounds'. Normally each person will first hand out their own gifts to everyone when it's their turn, then we move on to distributing whatever is left. Parents sit out some rounds as they tend to have fewer presents.

I'm so used to doing it this way, I'm amazed there are so many other options!

marne2 Sun 21-Dec-14 20:46:18

We put them in piles, they have a sack or giant gift bag and any extras go in a pike next to the sack/ bag. Relatives presents presents and presents for dh and I go under the tree.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now