Talk

Advanced search

Damn! Just realised one DC has more

(25 Posts)
Theselittlelightsofmine Sun 21-Dec-14 14:10:27

Just realised one DC has more gifts than the others about 10 more but same amount roughly spent.

Do I buy the others more or just leave as is?

SageSeymour Sun 21-Dec-14 14:13:16

What are their ages?

I have two - aged 16 and 8. The 8 year old has lots more to open but then, the 16 year old is getting an iPhone 5.

If they're little , I'd even it up a bit

susiedaisy Sun 21-Dec-14 14:16:01

Me too one dc has 4 more than the other dc. angry Will have to go back to the bloody shops and equal it out. Arrgh I don't have time for this!!

MehsMum Sun 21-Dec-14 14:23:57

Can you not combine several gifts into one (for example, one of my DC is getting a lot of kitchen stuff - flan dish, wooden spoons, etc - wrapped as one present)? If I'd wrapped that lot separately it would have looked like rank favouritism (until you realise that the subtext is, 'You're growing up, darling, and will soon be moving out!')

The other option is to hold some back for the next birthday. I end up doing this every year...

SanityClause Sun 21-Dec-14 14:25:55

I try to make sure they have the same number of presents to open, but I don't worry about money spent. Some years one will get a bigger present, in terms of money, but it all evens out in the end.

The trouble with one person having lots more presents is, they are still opening, when the rest are just sitting around watching, which isn't all that much fun.

SanityClause Sun 21-Dec-14 14:29:34

I often do that, too, Meh, one person may get one present which is four books, but another might get only one book. It just makes the gift unwrapping flow a bit better.

curiousgeorgie Sun 21-Dec-14 14:29:51

How old are they?

Theselittlelightsofmine Sun 21-Dec-14 14:38:12

They are 11, 10 and 7

Just had birthdays so can't do that.

About to do an exact count up hmm

I really don't want to go shopping again and really don't think I have anything left money wise to do so with confused

rumbleinthejungle Sun 21-Dec-14 15:09:06

Wrap up some things that look big but are a treat. Unhealthy cereal that they might not usually have, a tube of Pringles, a comic, etc.

wellies Sun 21-Dec-14 15:13:55

I have this problem, dd has more parcels than ds. The value is similar though. I agree with rumble little treats can make a good present; my ds LOVES digestive biscuits so will be getting a packet of those to boost his pile, along with his very own bottle of ketchup which I've made a named sticker for so it'll be exclusively his.

Theselittlelightsofmine Sun 21-Dec-14 16:53:53

22 gifts and 8 gifts
confused
I'm gonna have to do more shopping hmm

Clobbered Sun 21-Dec-14 16:55:41

22 gifts?! Wowsers. That's a lot!

TenMinutesEarly Sun 21-Dec-14 16:55:51

Go to home bargains. I just got lots for £15.

Theselittlelightsofmine Sun 21-Dec-14 17:25:04

The 22 includes items like socks, headbands, books etc and one main gift.

The 8 items included 3 main gifts

The amount spent is similar

Going to need to visit pound shop and charity shops again confused

Storytown Sun 21-Dec-14 17:41:38

No, you just need to bundle up say, 3 books into one parcel and the socks, headbands and other clothes type items into one parcel.

Or save some of the bits for her birthday, or give the socks just because she needs them after Christmas

IssyStark Sun 21-Dec-14 23:26:57

I would definitely re wrap to bundle some things together rather than do more shopping, or at least re wrap to reduce the difference before getting some very small extras at the supermarket rather than trudging around the shops.

Ladymoods Mon 22-Dec-14 07:36:25

I get a little bit fed up with people making little comments on here about how many presents others have bought their children. It is absolutely none of your business, op wasn't asking 'have I bought too many presents?' was she. And she certainly shouldn't then have to explain what she has bought and justify herself to anyone. Everyone does Christmas differently, some like little stockings, others like sacks of presents, but it is certainly not something that is anybody else's concern.

susiedaisy Mon 22-Dec-14 08:23:51

Lady, I agree it's easy to stock up from pound land etc and buy lots of cheap little gifts that can amount to not much money but are fun to open. My kids will have about 20 presents each including their main present but but many of those presents only cost between 50p-£1 each.

imjustahead Mon 22-Dec-14 08:35:13

sounds like a re wrap could help with those smaller items.
then reassess.

waithorse Mon 22-Dec-14 08:35:38

I'd hit Poundland to even it up. Unless there is a massive age difference.

curiousgeorgie Mon 22-Dec-14 08:47:56

I agree with those who say buy a few more. 8 doesn't look like a lot (despite its value!) at that age wink

RobotLover68 Mon 22-Dec-14 08:54:14

8 presents is plenty - definitely bundle things together as others have said

weaselsquirrel Mon 22-Dec-14 09:09:27

I agree take a trip to home bargains (if possible) for £10 you could probably come out with a bag full which is worth far more.

Theselittlelightsofmine Mon 22-Dec-14 11:47:51

I will be going to buy more, yes some might say 22 is a lot but I have been buying from charity shops, 99p shops, ebay and using freecycle so some gifts did not cost me anything and quite a few of them are second hand.

Not sure why I felt I had to justify my spending but I have hmm

curiousgeorgie Mon 22-Dec-14 12:09:35

I don't know why people are giving you a hard time about 22 presents... I don't think I know a single child you doesn't get that and then some.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now