Talk

Advanced search

Stargazing experience-how to present

(8 Posts)
T2710 Sun 21-Dec-14 12:28:59

I'm buying my oh a trip to an observatory as part of his Christmas pres. I haven't booked it yet as if like to do it more last minute to try to get a clear night. I'm just really stuck for how to present it in a nice way? I thought of making a gift voucher or having it iced on a chocolate plaque but was wondering if anyone had any better ideas?

Katz Sun 21-Dec-14 12:33:04

could you buy one of those nam your own star - think they're about £10 and say he's going to get to find his.

T2710 Sun 21-Dec-14 13:20:08

That's a good idea-I'll look into it. Thought they were more expensive and don't really want to spend much as he's got quite a lot already

dementedma Sun 21-Dec-14 19:42:45

We did this for my mother - a weekend away in a cottage in Dumfries and Galloway dark skies park. We wrapped loads of related gifts which she openend one by one as clues - a sachet of hot chocolate, a warm wooly hat, a torch, red cellophane paper to put over the torch for night vision etc.
Then a card with this verse in it by Ralph Hodgson:
I stood and stared
The sky was lit
The sky had stars all over it
I stood, I knew not why
Without a wish,without a will
I stood upon that silent hill
And stared into the sky until
My eyes were blind with stars and still
I stared into the sky.

ItsNotUnusualToBe Sun 21-Dec-14 19:45:25

Gift voucher / note tied to a star shaped helium balloon (or bunch of balloons) in a box covered with wrapping paper.

T2710 Sun 21-Dec-14 20:09:08

Such fab ideas, thank you all! Love that verse, def going to use it smile

MiconiumHappens Sun 21-Dec-14 20:33:11

Totally off thread but I read this and thought it was about babies being born facing upwards. My DD was and the MW called her a star gazer.

Am very aware this post makes me sound completely bonkers or a bit pissed smile

Davros Sun 21-Dec-14 22:13:35

My DH is VERY into astronomy, we've telescopes and their legs all over the house. Can I suggest a subscription to a The Sky at Night magazine, or someone else could get it for him. My DH thinks it is good and he can be quite sniffy about sciency things. If you live in London, look up The Baker Street Irregular Astronomers. Lovely gift, hope he enjoys it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now