Talk

Advanced search

Turkey crown - slow cook or oven roast?

(6 Posts)
AlienforChristmas Sun 21-Dec-14 10:51:55

Just got my turkey crown, and it will fit into the slow cooker. Should I do it? Anyone tried it? It's a 2.5kg one.

I'm not usually a big fan of slow cooking - I've made so many nasty watery things that way. But with a turkey, it's all about moistness, right?

Lifesalemon Sun 21-Dec-14 12:34:41

I personally would stick to cooking it the way you are used to unless you have the time (and the money) to have a trial run although someone may come along who has done it and can recommend it. I have cooked beef and pork but I've never tried turkey so will be watching with interest.
What you said about your watery disasters - you don't need to use as much water in a slow cooker even for casseroles, I put all the ingredients in first, veg at the bottom and meat on top and then add just enough stock to barely cover it. I leave it to cook all day and around half an hour before serving I stir in some thickening granules. This makes a lovely, thick and tasty gravy.

curiousgeorgie Sun 21-Dec-14 12:43:29

It will come out all grey and rubbery... I hate white meat in the slow cooker..

I'd oven roast it.

bryonyelf Sun 21-Dec-14 12:46:23

It will be horrible in the slow cooker. Roast it.

Happy36 Sun 21-Dec-14 12:48:42

Oven roast, covered in foil until the last 20 mins. Delicious!

AlienforChristmas Sun 21-Dec-14 12:49:23

Thank you! I'll stick to my instincts :D

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now