Talk

Advanced search

Will I get a turkey?!

(11 Posts)
HollyJollyXmas Fri 19-Dec-14 18:12:02

Haven't done my usual online Xmas shop this year and instead planned to go to Waitrose on the morning of 22nd Dec.

My mum is now flustering and saying I have left it too late to get a fresh turkey.

Really? She is insane, isn't she? Isn't she? <holds breath>

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Fri 19-Dec-14 18:23:05

Aldi's are on sale on Sunday - several different kinds

So yes, she is grin

In fact you can usually get one half-price or better if you hold your nerve till Christmas Eve!

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Fri 19-Dec-14 18:26:57

Oh wait - it's not Sunday, it's today! blush

But I'm still sure you'll get one next week fsmile

FurryDogMother Fri 19-Dec-14 18:32:29

Don't panic - until a couple of years ago I used to leave my turkey-buying until Christmas Eve - they were nearly always half price, and there were loads to choose from.

MsAspreyDiamonds Fri 19-Dec-14 19:06:09

I went to M&S on 24 Dec last year & there lots of fresh turkeys reduced. It was a bit ironic that the queue for the expensive preordered turkeys was almost out of the shop. Whilst people just picked one up off the shelf at a vastly reduced price.

Waswondering Fri 19-Dec-14 19:09:31

I've never had a problem buying one on the 23rd. Lots of choice in Sainsburys!

NapoleonsNose Fri 19-Dec-14 19:25:38

I work in a supermarket (until Monday anyway as I've finally managed to get a new job!) and there are ALWAYS turkeys left on Xmas Eve. If you don't mind a bit of risk, go in at 5pm ish and you'll probably be lucky and get a half price one too. One year I worked there and they binned about 50 when the shop shut for Xmas.

HollyJollyXmas Fri 19-Dec-14 20:07:25

Ooh thanks everyone! <exhale> grin.

I had a memory of being in M&S on Xmas Eve last year and there being loads of turkeys left, but the fear of 'the mother knows best' kicked in!

Cheers x

MsAspreyDiamonds Fri 19-Dec-14 20:21:35

NapoleansNose what a shame the turkeys were binned instead of donated to a refuge or shelter.

RojaGato Sat 20-Dec-14 08:05:28

Yes there will be turkeys and they could be reduced. I got an organic one for 75% off last year.

HoHonutty Sat 20-Dec-14 08:09:24

I'm going to get mine on Christmas eve.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now