Talk

Advanced search

Any ideas for a keen allottment holder?

(19 Posts)
lucysmam Fri 19-Dec-14 13:35:43

Somewhere around £10-15, that I could pick up in a shop 'cos the bank is empty & I have a bit of cash stashed away for this gift.

tia smile

annabanana19 Fri 19-Dec-14 13:49:21

I saw some gardening stuff in home bargains today. Enamel mugs aimed at gardeners. Floral gloves etc.

lucysmam Fri 19-Dec-14 13:50:39

Lovely, I need to nip in there so will add it to my list and see what they have smile

goshhhhhh Fri 19-Dec-14 13:54:10

Saw some suprisingly cheap & lovely things in the Waitrose garden bit. Apple feeder for birds £5.oo, for example. Or some Seeds & a seed tray.

lucysmam Fri 19-Dec-14 13:56:04

I dont think we have a Waitrose near enough to check there. Had I used my head this morning though, I could have looked in Asda while my dad was shopping.

BlueChampagne Fri 19-Dec-14 15:15:41

Homebase had bare rooted apple trees on offer recently. However, garden vouchers might be easier to wrap!

A good pair of gardening gloves is always useful.

Takver Fri 19-Dec-14 15:24:52

I'd second pretty enamel mugs or good gloves, trouble with seeds is you don't know what they've got already, apple trees even more so as you have to have a suitable place to put one.

lucysmam Fri 19-Dec-14 15:43:52

(It's a man...not sure he's into pretty stuff grin ).

Gardening gloves a good idea, although he'd end up getting MIL to hack off a finger (he cut one off confused ) so they fit properly.

Seeds, I'm sure he buys them from the allottment up the road.

Maybe I should stick to beer!

Allalonenow Fri 19-Dec-14 15:51:50

How about an allotment planner/journal? You often see them in cut price places like The Works, or Sainsburys did them last year, so worth looking in supermarkets too.

lucysmam Fri 19-Dec-14 15:58:34

aaah, that'd be useful! I'll add a trip to The Works to my list as well.

Maybe an allottment planner/gardening gloves and a bottle of fancy beer from Lidl?

Takver Fri 19-Dec-14 17:05:39

Sounds ideal smile

lucysmam Fri 19-Dec-14 17:13:32

Thanks very much for your help fsmile

thatsn0tmyname Fri 19-Dec-14 17:16:29

A Thermos flask?

lucysmam Fri 19-Dec-14 17:47:00

ooooh, I will text and see if he has one!

EauLittleRougeofBethlehem Fri 19-Dec-14 17:55:01

A bit out of your range, but I dropped heavy hints at my DM that I would like this (they sell it in a few places). A thermos would be a good one as well, or markers for rows of veg, you can get some nice ones in garden centres.

lucysmam Fri 19-Dec-14 17:58:46

That's lovely Eau, but yes a bit out of budget.

catsofa Fri 19-Dec-14 18:03:34

What's really nice on an allotment when it's cold is an insulated hot drink. Either a normal flask, an insulated mug, or my favourite thing an insulated mug with a sealable screw-on lid so you can use it both to transport your mug of tea in a bag and also to drink out of. Your nearest big supermarket should have at least one of the above, or any camping type shop, or Wilkos or possibly even poundshop type shops.

Failing that or depending on what he likes to drink, IMO one can never have too many hip flasks for working out of doors in the cold. Maybe chuck in a minature or two of a nice single malt whisky? (If you're clueless, anything that says "single malt" somewhere on it is posh enough for a gift).

lucysmam Fri 19-Dec-14 18:50:36

cat he does indeed like whiskey! A hip flask would be very well received indeed grin I'll have a hunt around now and see what I can find that I could pick up in town.

Nocturne123 Fri 19-Dec-14 18:55:09

I saw some lovely wee things in tesco , there was a tiny bucket with little wooden herb separators . Thinking of getting it for dm as a stocking filler

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now