Talk

Advanced search

Need some help with my final Xmas lunch preparation.

(8 Posts)
SilverSnowflake Fri 19-Dec-14 11:53:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SilverSnowflake Fri 19-Dec-14 11:53:57

Sunflower101 Fri 19-Dec-14 13:34:20

I rub the turkey breast with a little softened butter, season with salt and pepper and sprinkle a few herbs on top. Then put a few rashers of streaky bacon on top which will stick to the butter. It will help the turkey from drying. Cover Turkey with foil and baste every half hour to prevent drying.
Forget red cabbage, you don't have to do it.
I cook carrot and swede together, then mash. You mentioned turnip, that's a stronger flavour, and can't say I've tried it with carrot. I put a knob of butter in with the carrot swede mash and a good grinding of black pepper. I boil sprouts on their own as they need a different amount of time cooking and then when drained I put a knob of butter on them too.
Parboil potatoes for 10 mins, drain in colander and let them dry off before putting in baking tin of fat. You don't want to completely cook them through but just enough to get some fluffy edges on the roasties. You can always shake the potatoes a bit in the colander to get some rough edges on the potatoes. Some potato varieties do tend to boil away in the water before they are done, so check the variety is suitable for roasting. Fat does not need to be that hot as you say. Really hot spitting fat can be dangerous too especially when you add the potatoes so they will still cook nicely in just hot fat. I don't think it really matters if you cook potatoes from cold or hot water.
Hope that helps!

annabanana19 Fri 19-Dec-14 13:55:02

A) cooking a turkey too long dries it out. Adding bacon does not make the meat moist as there us a layer of skin between them.

B) forget red cabbage. Who eats such thing?

C) veg mix sounds lovely! !

D) hot fat always to cook them. Makes them crispy. Lard will do the same thing at a fraction of the cost. Toss them in garlic and rosemary. Lovely flavours.

E) 10 mins enough for par boiling. Drain and add to the hot fat.

Blu Fri 19-Dec-14 14:06:13

What Anabanana said - except for the red cabbage. Spicy red cabbage (braised with onion, apple, spices) is gorgeous with a turkey roast and adds a sweet-sour tangy luxury. But if you have never heard of it, you won't miss it. One of it's advantages as a Christmas Dinner dish is that it can be made in advance, frozen and microwaved on the day, as it is a long-cooked veg dish, not a dish that needs cooking briefly to be al dente.

Allalonenow Fri 19-Dec-14 14:14:45

King Edward potatoes make the best roast potatoes, or Maris Piper if you can't get Edwards.
Hot fat will help make them crispy, lard or dripping will give a good flavour and colour, sunflower oil also works well.
I start my potatoes off in cold water, and once they have come to the boil, turn the heat down to simmer, and watch them like a hawk. You might get a better result if you do the first step of cooking the potatoes in two batches, especially if your pans are small.

I'm a fan of red cabbage, but it can take a while to cook, so I usually get it ready made.

Wrap you turkey in foil for the first part of the cooking, then remove it to crisp the skin.

SilverSnowflake Fri 19-Dec-14 14:36:42

BiddyPop Fri 19-Dec-14 15:07:38

I put a couple of teaspoons of seasoned butter under the turkey skin - 1-2 per breast. You can pop a couple of sage leaves in there too but don't worry about it if you don't have them.

Basically, it's softened butter with some salt (v little), a good grinding of pepper, some crushed garlic (optional) and maybe some dried herbs (optional) mixed into it. If you do too much, don't panic, wrap in greaseproof paper and keep in fridge or freeze for another time.

Spuds. I put them in a pot of cold water and bring to the boil - but only let them cook them for maybe 5 more minutes. If I use already boiling water (from kettle), cook for about 6-7 minutes. What I usually do is drain the spuds, dollop in a large spoonful of goose/duck fat straight from the jar, put the pot back on the heat for another 30 seconds but basically allow the heat in the spuds to melt the fat, then put on the lid and give them a good bash around in the pot before transferring the fluffy, goosed up potatoes to the roasting tray.

Your veg sounds perfect if that is what your family likes to eat. We've never eaten red cabbage. I do veg dishes that I know will be enjoyed and eaten, and go well with turkey.

Enjoy the day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now