Talk

Advanced search

what goes with Goose? Bread source? turkey gravey?

(13 Posts)
ElfontheShelfIsWATCHINGYOUTOO Thu 18-Dec-14 15:11:34

wondering what accompaniments go with it as everything is geared to trueky..does bread source go with it?

Eminybob Thu 18-Dec-14 15:25:07

I'm doing goose this year and am going to have the usual trimmings you'd have with turkey.

I am making port gravy from the juices and giblets though, from a recipe I found on line.

HoundoftheBaskervilles Thu 18-Dec-14 15:38:43

When I do goose I tend to have fewer accompaniments than with a turkey, it's more interesting meat so it needs less I think., Gravy with the giblets, apple sauce goes brilliantly, stuffing - Google one you fancy there's loads of good ones for goose, red cabbage is a must, roast potatoes & sprouts with pancetta, to me that makes a splendid feast, no need to go over the top.

Wouldn't bother with bread sauce.

WhoKnowsWhereTheMistletoes Thu 18-Dec-14 15:41:57

We just have the normal gravy (the Jamie Oliver make ahead one), sprouts, carrots, roasties, pigs in blankets, stuffing and cranberry sauce, no red cabbage for us, also nothing fruit based apart from the cranberry sauce. Traditionally goose is served with fruit based accompaniments to cut the richness a bit. We do have bread sauce but only for my mum, no one else likes it.

NoLongerTheSeasonToBeJolly Thu 18-Dec-14 15:43:33

We're having goose for the first time this year. You don't have a link to that recipe do you Eminybob? It sounds very interesting. fsmile

Wouldn't bother with bread sauce that's sacrilege! fshock

Kundry Thu 18-Dec-14 16:50:11

Everything you normally do for Christmas will go with goose: bread sauce, cranberry sauce, chiploatas, red cabbage, roast potatoes, sprouts etc.

For stuffing apples and prunes go brilliantly.

The trimmings were designed to go with goose rather than turkey so you just do the same Christmas dinner - except it's loads better as there's no yucky turkey smile

Tootyfilou Thu 18-Dec-14 18:47:46

Having goose again this year... Had it last year and it was delicious!
I made some gooseberry sauce as I read it was good with it, twas lovely.

ElfontheShelfIsWATCHINGYOUTOO Thu 18-Dec-14 20:00:53

grin kundry.

Yay to the bread source too I love it.

GlowWine Thu 18-Dec-14 22:12:18

No 'trimmings' - here at home it's just carrots and parsnips roasted with the Goose, plus extra red cabbage. Gravy, and roast potatoes. Plus sprouts (plain) because we like them.

Traditionally my German Grandmother (and now my parents) made/make Goose, gravy, red cabbage and boiled potatoes. No need for anything else as Goose is delicious, rich and flavourful fgrin. I'll hopefully be introducing Roast potatoes and some extra veg to their household this year
(our kids are not so fond of red cabbage...)

HoundoftheBaskervilles Fri 19-Dec-14 02:02:32

Glow is CORRECT, bread sauce with Goose? Goose is rich & fatty, to put a rich & creamy sauce with that? No. Something sharp and something bland is perfect.

NoLongerTheSeasonToBeJolly Sat 20-Dec-14 17:02:14

I'm going to have a cranberry and cassis sauce but I don't think I'll be able to stop myself making bread sauce. fblush

Eminybob Sun 21-Dec-14 07:23:21

Goose with port gravy recipe

There you go jolly

There were a few different ones, but this looked the most simple. Well I hope it is since I'll be making it for the first time on xmas day and I don't usually make my own gravy. Eek!

SarahJinx Sun 21-Dec-14 07:30:51

We're having Goose, we'll do usual trimmings but also doing Jamie's braised red cabbage for marmalady loveliness, and Celeriac Mash. Goose likes a root.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now