Talk

Advanced search

Turkey for 2.5 people - suggestions?

(25 Posts)
snappybadger Wed 17-Dec-14 13:55:32

I am doing Christmas dinner for just me, my Dad and 3 year old ds this year. Obviously I don't need a whole turkey, but I'm not sure what I should be getting instead - a turkey crown or a joint?

I would like one that is a little bit more special rather than just plain. Has anyone seen any nice ones about in the supermarkets? Just feeling rather uninspired after a quick look online as most places seem just to be showing the whole turkeys.

Have you had a look in Lidl or Aldi for one of their three-bird roasts? I don't think they are too big, and they are much easier to carve too, because you can just slice them.

ErrolTheDragon Wed 17-Dec-14 14:07:28

M&S usually do nice crowns with stuffing, in various sizes.

IdaClair Wed 17-Dec-14 14:08:12

Chicken.....!

I am only cooking for 6 so am doing a chicken.

I usually cook for 14-18 where a turkey is actually necessary.

mabelbabel Wed 17-Dec-14 14:08:13

A turkey breast joint (ie one breast) will be plenty. They sometimes come with bacon on. Or a nice chicken?

Whooshtheyweregone Wed 17-Dec-14 14:08:41

I get a turkey roll from the butcher which has a nice mix of meat.

CalamitouslyWrong Wed 17-Dec-14 14:08:47

You could just buy a turkey breast. They're still huge, but at least you won't be eating turkey for months.

FamiliesShareGerms Wed 17-Dec-14 14:09:10

I was going to say a Lidl three bird roast too

TooTiredToBeCreative Wed 17-Dec-14 14:10:37

M&S usually do nice Turkey crowns.

Lilymaid Wed 17-Dec-14 14:15:19

M&S turkey crown - the one with pork and sage stuffing and bacon over it. Small one lasted us (2 adults/2 DCs) for 3 days. Fits easily into fridge and oven and no argument about who gets the "nice bits".

Great minds think alike, FamiliesShareGerms! fgrin

roundtable Wed 17-Dec-14 14:25:11

I didn't notice this was under the Christmas topic and was about to tell you all about Olu Deniz in Turkey! grin

Morrison's looked like they had done nice ones but I haven't investigated closely yet.

ProveMeWrong Wed 17-Dec-14 14:31:22

I fourth M&S Turkey crown. Got one last year when just the three of us and it was really moist and tasty with the bacon and stuffing. Bit of a scrum at this time of year in M&S but just don't mess about, get the bird, get out! Not too ridiculously expensive to get something luxurious when only a couple of you eating it.

ErrolTheDragon Wed 17-Dec-14 15:07:44

We often get one a bit ahead of time (when they first start appearing) and freeze it to avoid the scrum or them running out.

girlywhirly Wed 17-Dec-14 16:29:29

Does it have to be turkey, there is just DH and I and we are having a free range chicken. I make my own stuffing to go with it.

snappybadger Wed 17-Dec-14 16:32:52

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm not sure I can stretch to £35 for a M&S turkey crown although it does look nice!

What does the Lidl three bird roast taste like? Is it nice? I've only been eating meat for a few years (long time veggie before that) and never had a three bird roast before.

roundtable Wed 17-Dec-14 16:43:46

I'm personally not keen on a three bird roast. I don't like the flavour combination that much.

If I've been offered it though I just eat one type of bird at a time. Problem solved! grin

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Wed 17-Dec-14 16:52:57

Beef Wellington instead?

Lilymaid Wed 17-Dec-14 16:55:58

* I'm not sure I can stretch to £35 for a M&S turkey crown although it does look nice!*
If you look in the shop (rather than online) you will find small turkey crowns that don't cost nearly as much.

We had one a couple of years back, and it was pretty tasty.

snappybadger Wed 17-Dec-14 17:28:21

Think I'll pop into town tomorrow to look in M&S. Is it okay to freeze the fresh turkey crowns then? Or would it be better to risk the scrum closer to the big day? It's a bit of a pain to get to our M&S so only really want to go the once.

Lilymaid Wed 17-Dec-14 20:28:17

Fine to freeze a fresh turkey crown. Some years M&S has had them in freezer cabinet, so look there if you are buying it tomorrow.

snappybadger Wed 17-Dec-14 20:30:50

Great! Thank you smile

ftmsoon Thu 18-Dec-14 10:57:19

I had this problem. I had ordered a Tesco crown to serve 5, leftovers for Boxing day! However DH'S shift change mean no Boxing day so cancelled it and just bought a breast fillet. With all the other bits, I think it will still do 2 meals and won't take up anywhere near as much room in the oven. Also only cost about £4!

snappybadger Thu 18-Dec-14 19:37:20

Well I popped into M&S today (not that it's possible to "pop" anywhere with a 3.5yo in tow) and picked up a nice turkey breast joint with stuffing and bacon lattice for £7. It's quite small but it says it serves 2-3 and I'm probably going to do a gammon as well so there should be more than enough for us! Thanks for all the help/advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now