Talk

Advanced search

Lego help please?

(12 Posts)
midori1999 Wed 17-Dec-14 10:33:28

My son is 14 (today) and I want to get him a Lego thing for Christmas, but I've no idea what. He goes to a Lego robotics club at school and loves it. He just has 'basic' Lego at home so far. He likes Dr Who and Minecraft, but isn't into Star Wars etc. however, some of the Lego technic stuff is Star Wars and I wonder did any of that might still be suitable due to how it is out together/works, even though he's not a Star Wars fan.

I've seen the Mindstorm, but it would really mean blowing the budget and seems hard to get.

Any suggestions please?

atticusclaw Wed 17-Dec-14 10:37:57

How about the Lego architecture series. They're quite complex models

BreakingDad77 Wed 17-Dec-14 11:54:10

I would have said mindstorms, but yes they are expensive how technical is he? as he could be bright enough fro a raspbery pi? Can you ask the teachers at all as to what they cover in robotics club?

There is minecraft lego!

OddBoots Wed 17-Dec-14 12:01:05

If you aren't entirely certain what to get then for under a tenner the Lego: Crazy Action Contraptions (Klutz) is very good value and acts as a good springboard for bigger projects.

LittleMissSparklyGreenTinsel Wed 17-Dec-14 13:43:58

How about a Lego Technics kit and then the 'motors' set to go with it.

enderwoman Wed 17-Dec-14 19:27:21

I just saw this on the book people

http://www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/qs_product_tbp?productId=531789&storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=100&searchTerm=Minecraft

It's a Minecraft programming book for 11-15 year olds

vindscreenviper Wed 17-Dec-14 19:47:14

Thank you for that enderwoman, I've just ordered that book for DS1, when I showed him your link he said "That looks mintage!" then ran upstairs to get the cash out of his moneybox.

LePetitMarseillais Wed 17-Dec-14 21:00:10

It's cheaper on Amazon

vindscreenviper Wed 17-Dec-14 21:06:50

I know, that where I ordered it from, free p&p too grin

Waggamamma Wed 17-Dec-14 21:09:26

I'd get some technics and a motors set to go with it.

ThePrincessWhoSatOnTheSprout Wed 17-Dec-14 21:09:48

What about an annual subscription to Blocks Magazine... it's all about Lego! It is actually brilliant.

www.blocksmag.com

myotherusernameisbetter Wed 17-Dec-14 23:23:14

Possibly not in time for Christmas, but my son loved this book:

www.amazon.co.uk/Badass-LEGO-Guns-Building-Instructions/dp/1593272847

It uses a lot of Technic bits, but we ordered in any he didn't have from 2nd hand lego piece trading sites. he really enjoyed making stuff like this.

We also have mindstorms etc. I would probably ignore the "branded" lego sets if they aren't particular to his interests as you pay a premium for the fact it's Star Wars or Hobbit etc whereas actual plain lego sets are better value.

I'd definitely see if you can pick up a pile of Technic and take it from there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now