Talk

Advanced search

Ordered a gammon to cook. Now what the chuff do I do?

(31 Posts)
FelizNavidaddies Wed 17-Dec-14 08:58:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mumonashoestring Wed 17-Dec-14 09:11:44

My usual method is to soak it overnight in cold water (to remove excess salt) then change the water for fresh and add a handful of peppercorns, a halved onion, a cinnamon stick, a few cloves, a couple of star anise, then bring the water up to boiling & cook it for 30 mins per pound. Once it's cooked I take it out of the water, sit it on the draining board to dry a little, and bring the oven up to 200C while I take off any skin/rind with a sharp knife & score the fat into diamonds. I mix 2tbsp honey with 2tbsp strong mustard and rub that all over the joint, put it into a roasting dish, stud each diamond with a clove and give it half an hour in the oven to cook the glaze.

We have it cold either in sandwiches or with pickles, makes gorgeous club sandwiches smile

FelizNavidaddies Wed 17-Dec-14 09:14:13

mumonashoestring Wed 17-Dec-14 09:21:51

If you have the time on the day you can cook it and serve it hot - I usually end up cooking it as my contribution to Christmas at my parents' so it gets done in advance!

If they want hot gammon you could also cook it Christmas eve and then reheat thick slices of it wrapped in tin foil in the oven on the day.

Boysclothes Wed 17-Dec-14 09:23:11

I do nigellas ham in coke recipe.

www.nigella.com/recipes/view/ham-in-coca-cola-171

I know this sounds like it will be horrible, and indeed the liquid left over is RANK and I always tip it away ASAP. I think someone has a recipe for soup but unless you like fatty concentrated melted coke ice pops I don't recommend it.

However OMG, the ham is amazing. It's become a real family staple, with everyone from my grandad to my DHs aunt asking if we can do them a ham. My dad hovers round the kitchen pinching bits. Its lovely when the hams start to go in....

mumonashoestring Wed 17-Dec-14 09:24:07

FWIW I don't know anyone who would think it weird to have cold gammon/ham served as an alternative to turkey (they should be bloody grateful there is an alternative)...

Tykeisagirl Wed 17-Dec-14 09:31:29

If you've got a slow cooker you could cook in there so when it comes to dishing up you just need to take it out and carve it. Any of the above recipes work in a slow cooker you just need to adjust the timings. I usually cook mine in coke but I've also done apple juice with spices and chopped onion and it was very nice. If only one person is eating it you should have plenty of leftovers for sandwiches too.

FelizNavidaddies Wed 17-Dec-14 09:39:46

If you don't want to use coke, you could use either cider or ginger ale (the full sugar version not sugar-free) - we have done gammons both ways, and they are delicious.

I am boiling and glazing a gammon on Christmas eve, to serve cold on Boxing day.

glentherednosedbattleostrich Wed 17-Dec-14 11:04:34

The coke recipe is amazing. It also works well in full fat orangeade then baked with thinly sliced Clementine's and honey

Twinklebells Wed 17-Dec-14 11:04:46

you don't need to soak them anymore.

But I boil and then roast for half hour with a glaze - maple syrup, marmalade, sugar, mustard.

Naicecuppatea Wed 17-Dec-14 11:06:06

Feliz, I don't like Coke but with the ham it somehow works. It give it a really rich sweet caramelly taste.

bruffin Wed 17-Dec-14 11:07:40

I used ginger beer instead of coke at the weekend, with a couple of star anise and a bay leaf thrown in. It was gorgeous

WizardOfToss Wed 17-Dec-14 11:12:37

I always do the ham in coke thing. People fight over it!

But orangeade now - intrigued! I wonder if I can get away with that (hidebound DH and DD) fgrin

bruffin Wed 17-Dec-14 11:27:35

I've used 7up, and that also works well.

WUME Wed 17-Dec-14 11:44:23

Does it have to be a big butcher sized gammon todothe coke thing or can I do it with one of the supermarket ones?

FelizNavidaddies Wed 17-Dec-14 11:59:44

FelizNavidaddies Wed 17-Dec-14 12:00:00

Purplehonesty Wed 17-Dec-14 12:20:00

Does ham in coke work well in a slow cooker does anyone know please? I plan to cook my Boxing Day ham on Christmas night...

Twinklebells Wed 17-Dec-14 12:24:22

Yes it works in a slow cooker - overnight will probably be too long though.

TheCunnyFunt Wed 17-Dec-14 12:24:31

We don't have a slow cooker anymore (the dish went incurably mouldy and we haven't replaced it yet fsad )

To do a 750g joint in coke, how long would it take?

AlphaBravoHenryFoxtons Wed 17-Dec-14 13:14:04

Is it smoked or unsmoked?

TheCunnyFunt Wed 17-Dec-14 13:14:44

It's unsmoked.

GertrudePerkins Wed 17-Dec-14 13:20:00

for the 750g vac packed jobbies I simmer in coke for 45 mins, and then finish in the oven for 15 mins with a honey glaze

bigbluestars Wed 17-Dec-14 14:42:56

We are having a ham - on the 27th, for 12 people. Like others I simmer until tender then glaze with seasoning, mustard and marmalade. I am serving hot with bread sauce, new potatoes and salad- lots of other stuff too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now