Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

The big xmas food shop

(81 Posts)
Letitgoooo Wed 17-Dec-14 04:17:41

Ive managed to get a slot for late monday afternoon, ive ordered loads but im panicking that ive forgot stuff and im not going to realise until i go to get something out the fridge or cupboard! Ive got until sunday night to add items HELP!!

EhricJinglingHisBallsOnHigh Wed 17-Dec-14 05:38:11

How can anyone help you with this?

CiderwithBuda Wed 17-Dec-14 05:47:52

Write down the meals you will be cooking and list out ingredients needed for each one. Check you have them ordered.

And if you have forgotten something buy in a local shop.

bigbluestars Wed 17-Dec-14 06:56:29

OP but shops are open after Sunday.
I won't be doing my food shopping until next week. Not sure why you are panicking- unless you live on a remote scottish island.

I won't be getting a "big food shop" in anyway- the shopping will be spread over several days, buying the bargains/what we decide upon from several different shops.

isitsnowingyet Wed 17-Dec-14 07:05:49

Christmas is on Thursday fsmile

rallytog1 Wed 17-Dec-14 07:12:18

The shops will only be closed for one day. If you really do forget something you'll only be without it for one day. Unless, as pps have said, you live on a Scottish Island...

Letitgoooo Wed 17-Dec-14 07:12:54

Im panicking because im trying to pull together an amazing xmas for the dcs after the shite year we've had and this is the first xmas dinner i have made ever! Also im working tuesday and wednesday and would rather be able to enjoy xmas eve night with the kids not doing a last minute rush food shopping.

Letitgoooo Wed 17-Dec-14 07:14:47

All i was looking for is some ideas as to what others put on their shopping lists

amy83firsttimer Wed 17-Dec-14 07:22:41

Don't forget things like crackers, cranberry sauce, brandy butter etc that are not on the list for a normal Sunday dinner.

bozo14 Wed 17-Dec-14 07:22:46

Ive started mine, potatoes turkey crown carrots pigs in blankets parsnips vienetta dips pitta bread still a working progress

Wenchelda Wed 17-Dec-14 07:24:42

I haven't done my food shopping list yet, but when I do, it will include : cranberry sauce , horseradish sauce (we are having beef and Turkey on Xmas day), sausage meat for mixing with stuffing, gravy, veg (carrots / sweet corn / parsnips / cauli / peas), drinks (soft and alcoholic), wine or fizz of some sort for the table. Tea time buffet bits such as part baked bread rolls, salad stuff, cheeses, crackers, sausage rolls, crisps/nibbles.

That's all just off the top of my head so no doubt will need other stuff. 2 of my guests are providing starters and puddings so I don't need to think about those. Will also need usual essentials - milk / tea / coffee / bread / loo roll etc.

Prob no help to you at all!

Humansatnav Wed 17-Dec-14 07:27:51

Ok, I do a meal plan for the whole week then check cupboards / fridge and make shopping list.
For Xmas I always make sure I have
Pigs in Blankets
Stuffing
Parsnips
]Turkeywine Gravy
Cranberry Sauce
Goose fat
Sprouts
Xtra bread ( turkey sandwiches )
Xtra butter
Xtra milk
and wine

Artandco Wed 17-Dec-14 07:32:14

Write down what your making so you know what ingredients.

Ie we will have red cabbage, our recipe requires red wine, pears etc as well as the obvious red cabbage

hoppus Wed 17-Dec-14 07:32:27

Write down what you will have at your meal, not forgetting dessert, starters, drinks. Then write down all ingredients, tick off the ones you already have in your cupboard. Then think about nibbles, boxing day foods, breakfasts. Extras like crackers and napkins.

MrsTom Wed 17-Dec-14 07:43:46

I have the Delia Christmas book (I don't do ALL of her recipes, just a few). She has a great shopping list that includes the usual stuff (turkey, potatoes, veg etc) but also things like butter, foil, cling film and lightbulbs!

Like others have said, write down an ingredients list for each meal/recipe you want to cook and don't forget the little 'extras' that make Christmas special (nice chocs, nuts, Baileys etc). Another thing I do is to read my shopping list out loud - it usually jogs my memory if I've forgotten anything x

Wonc Wed 17-Dec-14 07:47:00

Cream
Sour cream
Batteries

The reasons ^ I always have to dash to the shops on Christmas Eve.

ladygracie Wed 17-Dec-14 07:47:18

My kids myar haves are all the extras that we don't normally buy - crackers, Pringles, crisps, choc plus picnic food to have as meals.

AllMimsyWereTheBorogoves Wed 17-Dec-14 07:52:07

Lots of fruit and veg. It cancels out all the high fat, high sugar, high salt stuff we gorge ourselves with at this time of year - honest. fgrin

Nothavingfunrightnow Wed 17-Dec-14 08:06:25

I agree with the idea of writing down your menu and then having a list of the ingredients plus any extras you may want. Don't start with your list - start with what you want to offer your family (i.e. start with your menu) and then take it from there.

Now I just have to take that advice myself...

Treats Wed 17-Dec-14 08:48:00

I had a similar panic a few years ago. I went round the house with a pen and paper and wrote down ALL the regular items that we needed to stock up on -toothpaste, washing up liquid and so on - and another list of store cupboard food items. I still have those lists and refer to them each week to remind me to check what we need to stock up on. The rest of the weekly shopping list is then ingredients for specific recipes.

I would definitely recommend doing something like this - nothing spoils Christmas like running out of loo roll wink

Germgirl Wed 17-Dec-14 09:17:23

I've had my ocado slot booked for weeks, it currently contains 2 bottles of champagne, 2 bottles of Baileys and 2 bottles of liqueurs, I suppose I'd better amend it & order some actual food. Will be watching this for reminders of the stuff that I'm bound to forget

TranquilityofSolitude Wed 17-Dec-14 09:20:41

Running out of dishwasher tablets would come a close second to running out of toilet rolls!

HellKitty Wed 17-Dec-14 09:22:36

ARGH! Tranquility! Dishwasher tabs, you angel!

Mrsgrumble Wed 17-Dec-14 09:23:14

I would write down your breakfast and dinners

Then buy lots of bread, cheese, ham and a few snack from the freezer aisle like pizza

Booze, nibbles

Then bstteries, kitchen roll,toilet roll

ButFirstACoffee Wed 17-Dec-14 09:31:18

Anyone fancy sharing their long list? My brain is completely addled at the moment and I'm struggling to get further than 'food' fconfused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now