Talk

Advanced search

Barbie,any less offensive than others?

(19 Posts)
Flippityflip Tue 16-Dec-14 14:44:57

I hate Barbie,I know it's just a toy etc but I can't get over my dislike of her.
Am feeling bad now because my four year old really really really wants a Barbie.Is there any version of Barbie that anyone can suggest that will be less offensive to my feminist sensibilities?
They all seem equally awful to me.
(I am not against all pink toys or anything girly or anything like that,my daughter is very keen on all the pink princessy stuff and I wouldn't be so mean as to deny her because it's not my cup of tea but Barbie is one I find it harder to stomach.)

RoundRobinSparkles Tue 16-Dec-14 14:50:38

Isn't there a Vet Barbie? I don't know much about Barbie, I'm afraid, as she isn't very well liked in this house.

DaisyFlowerChain Tue 16-Dec-14 14:52:29

I never get the rage against Barbie. She is portrayed as having all kinds of jobs including vet etc. Yes the packaging is very pink but it's just a colour.

RoundRobinSparkles Tue 16-Dec-14 14:52:34

How about shovelling shit Barbie? fhmm

RoundRobinSparkles Tue 16-Dec-14 14:54:52

Btw, I have no rage against Barbie. I loved her as a child but my DDs don't like her so I'm not up to speed on the range now a days.

midgeymum2 Tue 16-Dec-14 14:56:28

I've given in and got one! I loved my Cindy when I was little and I don't think it's done me any harm - feminist principles still intact. I did see a marine biologist barbie in home bargains last week. I got dd a basic one from there, a lot of the 'I can be' ones are rubbish imo, I can be a doctor (children's ward only) I can be a vet (cute cuddly pets only) etc and marine biologist actually seems ok.

5madthings Tue 16-Dec-14 14:57:09

Have you seen lottie dolls?

5madthings Tue 16-Dec-14 14:57:47

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=V0iQVI-ZO8XXapDzgagE&url=http://www.lottie.com/&ved=0CBwQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNFkQ24jmYeeks51pdbDm2s-6vxFmQ&sig2=tHuI3E59gUKRp1v9rTW2hQ

RoundRobinSparkles Tue 16-Dec-14 14:59:17

I was going to mention Lottie dolls! Does it have to be a Barbie specifically?

I remember asking for a Barbie for Christmas when I was 4 or 5. My sister got me a Sindy doll and I was just as happy with it.

Flippityflip Tue 16-Dec-14 15:33:42

I think it has to be Barbie as she has some random Disney doll which is the same type of toy just not with the ridiculous proportions!
I think I might cave,I sort of know it is a silly thing to have such a bee in my bonnet about. They have quite reasonably priced ones in argos at the mo but I hadn't thought of B&M.

Mountainygirl Tue 16-Dec-14 16:21:01

I went through exactly the same dilemma when my own DD was four. I opted for doctor Barbie.

It took a day for my carefully nurtured feminist child to strip Doctor Barbie of her lab coat, and deck her out in some sparkly shit someone else had given her.

DD is now 7, and this year I have bought her, unpromoted, Endless Curls Barbie, because i know she'll love it.

I have made my peace with the Plastic Evil. Her influence is not as overwhelming as I thought it would be. Yesterday she and her sisters were in the bath helping DD rescue a drowning whale (?) Afterwards they got dressed up to go to an awards ceremony where a medal for animal- themed bravery was presented by DD's teddy

RiverTam Tue 16-Dec-14 16:23:58

I would be fine with Barbie but the only ones I have seen have been in the most awful outfits with horrible stripper-esque platform shoes. If I ever saw one where she was dressed in anything approaching normal I would go for it, but I've yet to see one.

RoundRobinSparkles Tue 16-Dec-14 16:48:16

Yy to stripper shoes. We have a couple of Barbies that were given to DD1 a few years ago as a present by my sister. They have the most horrendous outfits on! Black, strappy, platform shoes with arse length, bright pink, halter dresses, that don't stay on!
I've been tempted to go out and buy them some clothes that don't make them look like cheap hookers but there would be no point as they don't get played with.

EmGee Tue 16-Dec-14 20:37:51

My DD got a Secret Door Alexa Barbie as one of her birthday gifts and loves it. It sings too which will drive you nuts

There is also a film which is very pink but actually quite watchable - this particular Barbie is very shy and lacks confidence and the story is all about how she overcomes this.

LePetitMarseillais Tue 16-Dec-14 21:11:31

Corolla les cheries

bogiesaremyonlyfriend Tue 16-Dec-14 21:29:02

Oh the stripper shoes!! Dd's horse riding barbie had high heeled riding boots wtaf!! confused

Neeko Tue 16-Dec-14 21:46:57

Check out the I can be range on amazon. There's a couple that are slightly less pink and have better shoes. smile My DDs have a number of Barbies but have since moved on to equestria girls, monster high and ever after high. The shoes are always the first thing to go ime!

loopyloopster Tue 16-Dec-14 21:59:44

Radio 4 had a show about lamily dolls the other day - she's a barbie style doll based on average woman's proportions and I think a range of normal outfits...not my kind of thing really but maybe worth a look?

loopyloopster Tue 16-Dec-14 22:06:13

Oh wow I just googled lammily and she's a bit weird....you can get stick on cellulite!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now