Talk

Advanced search

Single parents & gifts for yourself?

(25 Posts)
letsplaynice Mon 15-Dec-14 18:43:18

My dd is 3.7 and totally confused why I won't have presents on Xmas morning?

Should I buy for myself? I just feels a bit sadhmm

EatShitDerek Mon 15-Dec-14 18:43:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsRaegan Mon 15-Dec-14 18:46:01

Yes! DS has bought me a shiny new coffee machine this year so bright for 16 months Obviously this is purely for my benefit.

You could maybe wrap a pair of pajamas and a book? Or something to do together?

chanie44 Mon 15-Dec-14 19:20:24

I'm not a single parent, but I think, yes, definitely.

Since my sister has been a single parent, I make her a stocking. I say it's from her children, plus it gives her something to open on Xmas morning.

Morrigu Mon 15-Dec-14 19:32:09

I'll be buying a wrapping myself a few presents this year as ds has been questioning why I didnt get anything from Santa last year in my stocking. Probably foundation as mines nearly done and I'll be buying it anyway, nice coffee (considering a coffee maker myself), books and some chocolate. Nice excuse to treat myself a little as well as the dc.

BirdhouseInYourSoul Mon 15-Dec-14 19:38:44

Do you have someone who would take DD to pick out something if you gave them the cash?

I had a friend do that with my DD until she was about 5. Then we would go to a shop together and I'd let her pick something (usually thorntons or similar) and I'd pretend not to look when we went together to pay for it grin

CaisleanDraiochta Mon 15-Dec-14 19:55:55

I've been a lone parent for 5 years and never even considered buying myself a gift before. Santa doesn't leave gifts for adults in our family though so maybe that's why. I do get gifts under the tree from other family/friends too, so its not like I get nothing at all. also since they have been old enough to, the DC have usually made me something lovely and homemade too, which is always my favourite gift.

This year though they have 'bought' me something from a shop. we stayed at a hotel earlier this month and when checking in we were givena voucher for the gift shop there as compensation for the gym/sauna being temporarily closed. DC asked if they could use it to buy a present for me as a thank you for taking them on the trip, but I've told them to give it to me on Christmas day. I think I know what it is but I'm quite excited waiting to find out fgrin

SoonToBeSix Mon 15-Dec-14 19:58:58

There is a mumsnet secret Santa where you nominate yourself and buy for another person on the list. I can't link sorry.

LadySybilLikesSloeGin Mon 15-Dec-14 20:02:52

My mother gave me £30 and I bought jimjams and socks. Otherwise, nada. I do pretend to buy myself chocolate though knowing ds will eat them, and DVD's so we can share.

IndiansInTheLobby Mon 15-Dec-14 20:05:53

I don't get anything. Ds says he will share his stuff with me. smile he's 3

suz1980 Mon 15-Dec-14 20:29:11

I've bought myself a candle set and a new calendar! I want my son to see me opening something in the morning too.

girliefriend Mon 15-Dec-14 20:33:09

I gave dd £10 and she went off with nanny to get me something!! I am happy watching dd open her presents on Christmas morning but dd feels sad for me if i don't have anything to open!!

letsplaynice Mon 15-Dec-14 20:34:15

I will get something from my mum but not till later in the day

Squeegle Mon 15-Dec-14 20:47:43

Yes, definitely. My children are a bit older now, and can buy me little gifts, but I will be buying myself a treat- and it's fun to have something from Santa on Xmas day!

TheOnlyPink Tue 16-Dec-14 10:27:40

If you can afford it then definitely buy yourself something. Some kids wouldn't notice but it sounds like your child feels sad for you not having gifts! It would be nice to pretend to have a lovely surprise with your dd, and excuse to treat yourself to something!

Your daughter sounds like such a sweetheart! Hope you both have a lovely Christmas!

BlueChampagne Tue 16-Dec-14 11:54:48

Can you get your DD to drop hints so your friends step up?

snappybadger Tue 16-Dec-14 12:46:09

My ds is 3.10 this Christmas and for the first time I've bought myself a few gifts and will put them wrapped under the tree. They are just some books/DVDs I've fancied getting myself for a while now as well as some nice chocolates. I've done it just in case he notices that I've got nothing to unwrap!

1luvgosling Tue 16-Dec-14 16:02:39

I'm a single parent and so far I have bought myself;new handbag,make up,jumper, chocs and pyjamas! I would hate my dd to think I was on the naughty list! Go for it grin

letsplaynice Tue 16-Dec-14 18:24:45

Wouldn't expect my friends to do it they are all busy and not got many anyway! Maybe I'll just get myself a few things.

AngelCauliflower Tue 16-Dec-14 19:29:17

you should definitely get yourself a few things. I have bought myself a nice scarf and a few other little things.

AdventuringAbout Tue 16-Dec-14 19:41:39

I had never thought of this, but I've still got time to do it for myself - thanks! LO is three so a bit much to send them down the shops with my debit card. Maybe next year...

IgnoreMeEveryOtherReindeerDoes Tue 16-Dec-14 19:48:20

Yes santa buys me presents too! I had to do this years ago when my DD questioned it.

It's a great excuse to buy yourself something without feeling guilty. These year its perfume, some body shop stuff and lush duvet set I wouldn't normally buy myself.

GratefulHead Tue 16-Dec-14 19:53:17

I rarely bother but this year I spent £26 on some artist quality colour pencils. I have to confess to using them already and they are beautiful.
The best Xmas present is seeing my DS get such enjoyment out of Christmas. smile smile

I'm a single mum and always but presents for myself to go under the tree from Santa so ds doesn't get confused.And,well I deserve something,right?Nobody else thinks of me and we're always alone at Christmas so why not!

This year 'Santa' is bringing me a dvd,book and something from Lush.I just have to pretend to be excited and surprised lol

Haushinka Tue 16-Dec-14 19:57:06

My parents buy for me. It's usually practical stuff that they'd like to get me anyway so I say make it my Xmas present-microwave this year.

Santa only delivers to kids in our family but I think it's a nice idea to wrap little bits up for yourself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now