Talk

Advanced search

Need help with my Christmas food related questions.

(18 Posts)
FelizNavidaddies Mon 15-Dec-14 18:00:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sidsgranny Mon 15-Dec-14 18:06:01

Hi!

1) We always use these chestnuts that you can get in Tesco or Morrisons:

www.merchant-gourmet.com/products/chestnuts/item/whole-chestnuts

2) Nope, just a nice packet one!

3) I always buy a nice jar from our local deli

Hope this helps. Enjoy your first time hosting and don't stress too much!smile

Pico2 Mon 15-Dec-14 18:11:49

Ocado and Waitrose do the chestnuts too.

I like to make stuffing. I tend to use different recipes each year. I think it's much better than packet stuffing (like Paxo). But DH insists on Paxo. Stuffing is really easy to make.

I always buy cranberry sauce, so can't help there.

FurryDogMother Mon 15-Dec-14 18:14:03

I compromise with stuffing, and mix Paxo Sage ' Onion with fresh sausagemeat. It's really tasty!

FelizNavidaddies Mon 15-Dec-14 18:39:51

Taffeta Mon 15-Dec-14 18:44:40

1. Chestnuts bleurgh
2. I've made stuffing, loads of different types, I now buy Waitrose or M & S stuffing balls, like the crispy outsides, and not worth making your own IMO
3. I make Sarah Ravens cranberry and orange compote. It's gorgeous, and v good with cold meats too

Notso Mon 15-Dec-14 18:52:42

1. I also use the Merchant Gourmand ones. In Morrisons they are the same aisle as stock cubes and stuffings. I think.
2. I make a version of Jamie Oliver's pork and chestnut stuffing and a basic sage and onion one which is just bread crumbs, loads of sautéed onions, chopped sage and a couple of egg yolks, smushed together.
M&S pork and chestnut is very good though.
3. I have made cranberry sauce but most of my family prefer redcurrant jelly so I tend to just buy some.

TheWordFactory Mon 15-Dec-14 19:11:06

1. Merchant Gourmet ones in all the super markets.
2. Stuffing is easy to make - sausage meat, onions, an apple, dried fruit, herbs, egg and breadcrumbs.
3. Ditto cranberry sauce. Simmer them with the juice of an orange, plus zest, cinnamon, more sugar than you think you need. A slug of booze is good. I use port.

Larrytheleprechaun Mon 15-Dec-14 19:35:40

Last year I got chestnuts in Asda. They are nice enough but if you don't get them you won't miss them.

Stuffing in this house is breadcrumbs, sausage meat, dried sage, fry off a some onion. Salt, pepper and some butter. Might also throw in some fruit or do some separate with fruit.

I buy my cranberry sauce in Aldi. We only use it on Christmas day so no point in buying anything too expensive.

Allalonenow Mon 15-Dec-14 19:47:50

The MG chestnuts are widely available, or you could fry some diced bacon and sprinkle over the sprouts, or some chopped walnuts.

I make my own stuffing with sausagemeat breadcrumbs onion herbs and egg, but the bought ones are very good, and ready to pop into the oven, saving you a job.

I'd buy a good quality cranberry sauce and stir in a splash of port/red wine/orange liqueur.

AskMeAnother Mon 15-Dec-14 19:50:44

My mum made heavenly stuffing which was huge amounts of finely chopped onions and breadcrumbs with sage, salt, pepper and lots of butter, popped in the oven with the turkey and taken out when it looked right (crunchy on top).

Sleepytea Mon 15-Dec-14 21:43:34

In our tesco they are on offer for a pound and found on 1 of the end aisles. They've only had them in stock since the beginning of December.

blacktreaclecat Mon 15-Dec-14 21:45:39

I make Nigella's cranberry using port instead and it turns out fine

AllMimsyWereTheBorogoves Mon 15-Dec-14 21:51:56

Delia Smith's cranberry and orange relish is incredibly easy and very good. I don't bother chopping the cranberries. It's very similar to the recipes posted upthread and uses port.

MinceSpy Mon 15-Dec-14 22:00:25

I buy vacuum packed chestnuts, easily available at an supermarket.
Plenty of great dried or fresh stuffing in any supermarket.
Buy a jar or get a bag of fresh cranberries, rinse, put on low heat add around 100grams sugar, stir. Berries will pop and sugar dissolve. You can add orange juice,, port, anything or nothing. Chill land refrigerate.

FelizNavidaddies Wed 17-Dec-14 08:56:59

bilbodog Wed 17-Dec-14 10:51:47

check out Delia Smith Christmas recipes for her cranberry sauce - I think she uses port in hers which I always have some of around Christmas Time. It is dead easy and much nicer than bought stuff. I also use a French stuffing recipe from a Book I was given 40 years ago! Pork sausagemeat, onions, cinnamon and nutmeg with chestnuts and brandy - all cooked in a pan first and then stuffed in the turkey to be cooked further. But you can buy good ones now - I would always choose a meat based stuffing for the turkey.

nic013 Wed 17-Dec-14 12:13:47

I normally get vac pack merchant gourmet chestnuts. Most places sell it.

I make my own stuffing by mixing breadcrumbs with finely blended onions, butter and herbs and another with some chestnuts, orange and sausage meat. I will freeze it raw in a foil tray and cook on the day.

I make cranberry jelly using the same method as Nigella's chilli jam; jam sugar, pulsed cranberries, half red wine vinegar, half water. I find the jarred sauces can be a bit watery. I prefer them to be set like a really thick jelly. I will probably get my chilli jam out to have with the roast but I'm a bit weird.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now