Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Small gift to open on a plane?

(17 Posts)
tilliebob Mon 15-Dec-14 17:12:00

One of my good friends will be on a plane for the whole of Christmas Day. I was thinking of getting her a wee something to open whilst she's in the skies - can this even be done these days? Can she take on a wee wrapped gift as long as I don't put alcohol liquid in it? Are sweets/edible goods okay? You can tell I'm not exactly a seasoned traveller wink

HermioneWeasley Mon 15-Dec-14 18:09:28

Do not give her a bomb making kit

Seasonal food will be ok, but depending on regs where she's going she might have to eat it all or bin it before she lands.

No liquids, knives etc.

LynetteScavo Mon 15-Dec-14 18:14:16

A book? Or some jewellery?

tilliebob Mon 15-Dec-14 18:24:51

She's heading over to Oz lucky moo

bloodyteenagers Mon 15-Dec-14 18:27:31

No food for Oz.
Have you not seen that airport program they do? Forget to declare a stick of gum and they hit you with that fine.

Not sure you can take anything wrapped on the plane any more tbh.

superram Mon 15-Dec-14 18:29:50

I think snook is about the only fail safe thing you can send wrapped up-everything else seems a challenge. I would love a book!

LuckyLopez Mon 15-Dec-14 18:32:04

Also security might ask her wants in the package and at check in you have to confirm you packed all your cases yourself

NorbertDentressangle Mon 15-Dec-14 18:33:32

I was going to say that theoretically she can't take anything on that someone has given to her as, for all she knows, it could be drugs or banned items.

However I'm a bit alarmed that someone said you can't take any wrapped items on! Is that true? Even if it's something you've wrapped yourself? (we're going away this Xmas so I'm taking a small selection of presents for the DC which, naturally, I've wrapped)

SoMuchForSubtlety Mon 15-Dec-14 18:40:33

They might make her open the wrapped present or they might not. How will they know? I've taken things like that on to a plane before and answered yes when asked if I packed my bag myself - the question is about drug mules and terrorists not about well-meaning friends.

Inbound into Australia she would have to declare food but if it's in an unopened package designed for retail sale she won't have to give it up. It's things like fresh fruit that get confiscated.

What airport is she transiting through? You could arrange a stopover treat - eg you can get beauty treatments in Singapore airport.

LovelyWeatherForDucks Mon 15-Dec-14 18:44:00

Maybe pop it in little gift bag with some tissue paper to cover it,to save the wrapped/unwrapped potential security problem!

Leeds2 Mon 15-Dec-14 19:24:52

You can take wrapped items, as long as you can confirm that you wrapped them yourself, and you know what is in the package.

1122christy Tue 16-Dec-14 18:30:38

Instead of wrapping it how about putting it in a gift bag with top sello taped over?
I'd say either a book or an adult colouring book lol I'd love that. Or puzzle type book to help pass the time. And nice chocolate.

bigbluestars Tue 16-Dec-14 18:34:52

Don't be surprised if she is asked to open it by security.

Technically taking a package with unknown contents on board an aircraft does break security regulations.

tilliebob Tue 16-Dec-14 19:14:37

Thanks for the ideas folks. Might just give up on the idea! Will mull it over grin

happsymum Tue 16-Dec-14 22:47:19

what about one of those neck cushions for the flight? they do some lovely character ones! this ones a panda cushion with soft fluffy blanket too
or a cat
strawberry
pig
leopard print

happsymum Tue 16-Dec-14 22:48:10

I got one for my sister as she's travelling boxing day smile

mysteryfairy Tue 16-Dec-14 23:04:52

I took a wrapped present on a flight (to Israel of all places). It did not go down well with the security and was opened. I felt really uneasy (was a present off a friend for a child I would see when I got there) and would never do it again. If you're determined to give her something I would go for a gift bag rather than sealed parcel.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now